- Check out Delivery, a short documentary about a Brooklyn man who delivers pizzas on a fixed gear bicycle, above.
- Happy Friday! Western Spirit Cycling Adventures has a BIG surprise for you today. Book any trip with them between now and December 15th and receive a 15% discount on the cost of the trip.
- Do you think you have what it takes to be a factory rider? Rolf Prima, the high-end, US based wheel manufacturer is currently accepting applications for their Factory Team. Current members of the Rolf Prima Factory Team ride and compete in Triathlon, Road, Mountain and Cyclocross events around the US.Interested athletes can read more about the Rolf Prima Factory Team at www.rolfprima.com/factory-team, or send inquires to email@example.com.
- Looking for a new messenger bag? TIMBUK2 is currently offering 30%* off of Almost Everything. Use the coupon code RIDEWITHUS. Be sure to read the fine print at the top-left of the page HERE.
- If a discount isn’t enough, Timbuk2 has joined with Intrepid Travel, Quito Tourism, LAN Airlines and Blood Sweat and Cheers to give you the chance to win a ridiculously amazing experience in Quito, Ecuador. One Grand Prize winner will win a trip for two a full package of Timbuk2 travel products. One 1st place winner will win a full package of Timbuk2 travel products. Click HERE for the entry form.
- World Bicycle Relief is changing lives with the bicycle. The organization has just announced it’s exciting new Year End Campaign that highlights how the power of bicycles is radically changing people’s lives in rural Africa. This year’s video highlights how Tamara’s life was transformed in 2014 when she received a Buffalo Bicycle to help get to school on time and with energy to learn.
- Those who overhaul just got overhauled. Well, sort of. Suspension Experts just launched a new website devoted to clear communication about mountain bike suspension and the latest product information from Fox, RockShox, Cane Creek and PUSH Industries. The new website was designed with mobile users in mind and is optimized for tablets and smart phones. The site has a new and improved work order form to help customers schedule service as quickly as possible. Individual riders and bike shops will both find this feature an improvement over previous versions.
- Are you in the Minneapolis area? Well then get yourself over to the grand opening of Chrome’s new hub at 115 Washington Avenue N. in Minneapolis for some Beer, Music, Tacos & Racing. The party is from 8-11 PM this Saturday, Nov. 15th. They’ll have free tacos for the first 100 people, a sidehack BMX race and face-melting music from The Wolf Council. Oh, and beer.
- Mr. B’s Joybox Express Mississippi River Road Ride comes to a finale in New Orleans, LA! The epic 2,000 mile journey of Mr. B’s Joybox Express will culminate today, November 14, 2014 in New Orleans, LA. For more information visit www.JoyboxExpress.com
- Slipstream and Cannondale announced that the organizations would join forces in 2015, creating a new, powerhouse team built for the future. The new team will be known as Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling – and as revealed today – features an impressive, young roster comprised of 27 athletes from 14 different countries.
- Many of us are reminded of our fallen fellow riders when we pass by the Ghost Bikes at the side of the road. Genea Barnes, an artist and cyclist from San Francisco has traveled to more than 50 cities seeking out and photographing Ghost Bikes. She’s now at the point where she’s ready to document her stories and photographs and is looking for support. For a link to her kickstarter campaign click HERE, and check some images below…
Posts in the category Advocacy
The bicycle isn’t just a form of recreation, it’s also a powerful tool. If you need proof of that, take a look at Ride 2 Recovery. An arm of the Fitness Challenge (5013C), the main goal of Ride 2 Recovery is to rehabilitate injured veterans using adaptive bikes. We’ve featured their incredible builds before, but their work is still just as important as ever.
If you’re looking for a bigger way to thank our veterans, consider donating to Ride 2 Recovery or signing up for signing up for one of the 2015 United Healthcare Challenge series – a 350-400 mile multi-day ride where your paid entry goes directly to Ride 2 Recovery. Need an example of their work? Check out the repost of Timothy Brown’s amazing adaptive mountain trike that not only helped him through recovery, but provided the triple amputee a chance to enjoy mountain biking again…
- In case you weren’t one of the 3500 people who were lucky enough to score a ticket to the Red Bull Dreamline last month then you’re in luck. NBC will be airing the event this Saturday at 5 PM EST. The Red Bull Dreamline, which is part of the Red Bull Signature Series, was held at the Oskar Blues REEB Ranch in Hendersonville, North Carolina. The event featured a field of 32 of the world’s best BMX dirt jump riders.
- Here’s one more reminder that if you’re in the Philadelphia area this weekend then be sure to check out the Philadelphia Bike Expo at the Pennsylvania Convention Center. It will be held November 8th and 9th. Purchase your tickets in advance and save $$$!
- After the incredible turnout last year, the Chiltern Cycling Festival has grown into two events. First off will be The Chiltern Cycling Festival on July 12th. The next date for your calendar is the Chenies Velo Classique on August 31st. Entries open on November 6th via www.britishcycling.org.uk.
- Get ready for next season’s riding by training indoors over the winter with the ultimate cycling video experience. The Sufferfest - creators of the world’s best cycling, running and triathlon training videos – have launched a licensing program which is set to transform the indoor cycling experience for facilities, instructors and participants.
- Put that training to good use by taking a cycling tour through beautiful Tuscany. Imagine spending several days cycling through the Italian countryside, riding past vineyards and Roman castles, then stopping overnight in hilltop towns to enjoy delicious Italian cuisine and wine at the end of the day. Lifecycle Adventures, a cycling vacation company known for its customized bike tours in California, Hawaii, Washington’s San Juan Islands and Oregon, is now operating cycling tours in Tuscany, Italy.
- Do you live in New York City? Want to know the ins and outs of bike commuting in the city? Bike New York offers free Bike Commuting 101 and Winter Riding 101 classes to empower cyclists to become year-round bike commuters.
- Mario Cipollini, Tour de France multi-stage winner will be visiting California from November 12 to 15 for several meet and greet events at Cipollini dealers. Visit www.cipolliniusa.com for dates and times.
- Funkier Bike Apparel is now available in the USA! Torcano Industries has become the exclusive U.S. distributor for Funkier Bike Apparel. Check out the story HERE.
- Swiftwick’s Sock of the Month for November are these really cool Turkey Trot socks. I can’t think of anything better to wear on my piggies on Thanksgiving Day. Look for mine propped up on the end of the couch while I take my tryptophan nap. Click HERE to get yours today.
Lots more Friday Roundup after the break!
Developed to help create fresh, potable water in areas where groundwater supplies are limited, the Fontus literally pulls moisture from the air to create up to half a liter per hour.
The condenser is solar powered, allowing a cooling unit to cool hot air, which helps separate the water from the air molecules. Putting it on a bike was a natural choice for designer Kristof Retezár since it’s the most common vehicle in the world and moves fast enough to force air into the upper chamber and across the condensor. From there, the water drips through a tube into the attached bottle.
- Bandha Bikes Project: Across Uganda, achieving basic needs for individuals and families is dependent on their ability to access available resources. Bicycles become the catalyst to link families with essential resources but many Ugandans cannot afford them. Bandha Bikes will be launching a crowdfunding campaign on Oct 27th to seek donations in support of our Ugandan based pilot program.
- Calling all ripping goblins, ghosts and ghouls! Daniel Dhers Action Sports Complex is hosting a Halloween Jam on November 1st at their facility in Holly Springs, NC. Besides having awards for best trick, fastest lap, etc. they’re also awarding the best costume so be sure to dress up.
- Do you want to win an exclusive Orbea Carpe that’s been hand painted by Roberto Tirso in Mallabia? Enter Here.
- Womens Bike Mechanic Scholarship opens doors for women in the cycling industry. SRAM, Liv, United Bicycle Institute (UBI), Quality Bicycle Products, Pedro’s, and Park Tool have joined together to offer ten scholarships for women to attend United Bicycle Institute. The scholarship was created for women who are aspiring or experienced bike mechanics wishing to increase their technical knowledge and actively pursue a career in the cycling industry. Find the details HERE.
- Kinetic Trainers announced the launch of its new website, www.kurtkinetic.com. The new site features enhanced product information including product videos, technical information, reviews, new page layouts and customer service portal. The website is now live.
- Do you have a favorite bike park? MTBParks.com wants to hear from you! If you love lift-accessed mountain biking, take a few minutes to complete the survey and share your opinions HERE.
- Here’s a better way to let everyone know that you’re a proud cyclist without wearing your jersey to the local coffee house. Après Vélo is having a 48 hour Mega Sale on their stylish cycling t-shirts but it ends at 8 AM on October 26th so act fast. Enter Coupon Code BDAY20P at check out.
The Sufferfest, who makes our favorite training videos, also sponsors the first all-black UCI mountain bike team, helping them get equipped, trained and to the races. Now they need your help to keep one of their riders toeing the line. Here’s plea from The Sufferfest:
21 year old Likeleli Masitise is the only woman on the team. An orphan, she comes from a rural town in Lesotho. She won her first national title in 2012 and won again in 2013. She’s since become the first black woman to make the podium in a UCI ranked MTB race. However, on Christmas Day, her beloved bike was stolen and she hasn’t been able to train or compete properly since.
We’re asking for $100 for this jersey that will be the talk of the group on your next ride. Thanks to the generosity of our partners at Pactimo clothing, all proceeds go towards getting that bike for Likeleli. Hurry – it’s only on sale until 30th of September (jerseys will be shipped out in early November).
Click here to order, and slip past the break for pics of the jersey…
- Cool time-lapse video, above, of one year of commuting to work by Ben Rennert owner of Winnebago Bicycle in Oshkosh, WI.
- The Kaw Valley Bicycle Club of Topeka, Kansas, is hosting the Bruce Whaley Spirit Ride on Saturday, September 20th.
- Registration is open for the 2014 North Carolina Bike Summit in Greensboro, NC, October 10, 11, & 12.
- Take Road Holland’s survey and get a code towards $30 off your next purchase of $50 or more.
- Bike Pure today launches Bike Pure Cycle Tours, bicycle tours aimed at cyclists of all capabilities. Tours are available in Europe and Australia and coincide with major races, such as 2015′s Tour Down Under and the Spring Classics.
- The National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA) announced at Interbike that Idaho and Nevada are the two newest states in its growing interscholastic cycling program.
- As a special promotion for the 10th Anniversary of the Amgen Tour of California, fans will be able to enter a Sweepstakes Series with prizes, such as a SRAM Force CX1 groupset, awarded on the 10th of each month leading up to the 2015 Amgen Tour of California through June 2015.
- Light & Motion is promoting the launch of their commuter light, the Urban 2.0, by giving away weekly commuter prize packages. Enter to win here.
- A month ago we showed you the upcoming Zero race bike from UK’s Genesis. The Madison Genesis Team has been racing it at the Tour of Britain this week, and have some good behind-the-scenes video reports up on Vimeo
- The Sufferfest’s newest training video is The Elements of Style - Efficiency & Awareness, six drills to improve form, posture, and efficiency. Developed with Wade Wallace of CyclingTips.
- Orbea is recalling their Avant bike models equipped with hydraulic disc brake forks as a crack can develop in the forks. They request that anyone with these bikes to stop using them immediately and contact them, or your closest Orbea dealer, for a replacement fork. Check their dedicated page to see if your bike is effected and how to proceed.
Politics isn’t our strong suit here, but getting you the best cycling product news and tech as quickly as humanly possible is. So is keeping a level playing field, and that’s why we support net neutrality. We don’t ever engage in pay-to-play coverage of bike brands, so we sure don’t want pay-to-play transmission speeds affecting your ability to get that coverage. Click the image above and let your politicians know Net Neutrality is important to you.
Not quite sure why Net Neutrality is important? John Oliver explains…
- Shannon Galpin of Mountain2Mountain, sponsored by Liv Cycling, has organized a Global Solidarity Ride on Saturday, August 30th, to show support for women’s cycling in Afghanistan. Check her website for an organized ride near you – or dedicate your ride tomorrow to these brave women and girls, use hashtags #pedalarevolution and #solidarityride2014.
- Greenville, SC, is hosting the 2014 UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships that is taking place now through Sept. 1st. Free live streaming of the events is being hosted here.
- The 11th Lake Wolfgang Challenge triathlons will be September 6-7th in Strobl, Austria. This weekend will include an Olympic Distance Challenge, an X-Challenge Sprint (with mountain biking as the bike portion), a combo of the X and Olympic, and a Kid’s Challenge. More info in German here.
- The first mountain bike race on, what is probably the most remote place to hold one, Saint Helena Island, will be held Saturday, September 20th. You must email their tourist office to register before September 5th, looks like the race is free, but you must arrange your own transportation to this island in the South Atlantic Ocean. Flyer after the break.
- The 2014 Hell Hole Gravel Grind Stage Race will be held the weekend of September 19th-21st on the gravel roads in and around Hellhole Swamp in the Francis Marion National Forest just outside of Charleston, South Carolina.
- Bike MS: Cox Atlanta Ride 2014 at Calloway Gardens is September 20th and 21st. Registration and info here.
- IMBA’s Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day is Saturday, October 4th.
- Only 3 days left to enter to win a Loaded Carbon Cockpit.
- This week, IPWatchdog focuses it’s Evolution of a Technology series on bicycle patents.
- IMBA held a panel discussion at their World Summit in Steamboat Springs, CO, last week on the use of e-bikes on mountain bike trails that led to a suggested strategy for IMBA and the industry to consider.
- Road Hollad Cycling Apparel is having a Labor Day promotion this weekend, 20% off everything with code LABOR at checkout. Have a Labor Day sale going on? Leave the information in the comments.