Video: How Carbon Colnago Frames Are Handbuilt in Italy

Hand built in Cambiago, Italy), this video documents how the new Colnago C60 is built from raw materials.

Comments

Antoine - 07/24/14 - 4:51am

I have been there last year, and have to say it’s pretty impressive to see the process .
I saw the same guys has in the video but they were building the C59.

Have also to say that I found the factory pretty empty, and video give me the same feeling. Has if the products are not made there.. but maybe 6000kms away.

Andrew Fleming - 07/24/14 - 7:10am

Cool video! But no raw materials in this video.

Sherpa - 07/24/14 - 8:30am

@Antoine :

you are actually right : none of those parts are actually Made in Italy,they are made in China/Taiwan and then shipped/assembled in Italy so that legally Colnago can have the right to put the so fancy “Made in Italy” sticker on them.

Eyal - 07/24/14 - 9:08am

Beautiful bike! I personally like the V1-r.

Colnago needs to make a living for it’s owners and whatever number of employees it has on the books. If they only build bikes in Italy, they’ll all be priced accordingly, hence the price of the C60. Obviously they’ll not sell that many per year, to cover costs and make enough money to live well.

Please stop yourself before your write anything disparaging about Colnago or far flung places.

mudrock - 07/24/14 - 9:22am

I love that Colnago, in Italy at least, still makes bikes the old fashion way, with tubes and lugs. I owned a Super back in the 80s, when shop guys like me could afford them.

Antoine - 07/24/14 - 9:55am

@ Eyal :
I can’t tell you how much I love those bikes, and the spirit of the company. I even got the chance to chat with Ernesto and take a picture.

I am not saying that they actually outsource their top range. But the feeling in the factory in Italie is that, the workers are only here when you visit the factory ( or now do this video).

And then again I might be wrong, because you can tell that the way they work they have been doing it for a long time over and over again.
Maybe would be nice to know an approx number of top range bike sold

shafty - 07/24/14 - 10:14am

With, what I’ve heard is, the typical Italian work schedule, the quality(assumed), and volume of bikes produced by them in Italy, it wouldn’t be so surprising you get that feeling. They might only do full carbon manufacturing a few days a week(I’m only guessing here). Don’t they paint a large percentage of their bikes in Italy though?

Sergio - 07/24/14 - 11:21am

c’mon, even with all the love that we have for Colnago and his racing heritage, do they really want us to believe that they make the frames in Italy? Let’s open our eyes, and I don’t mean that in a negative way, everything is made in China (Taiwan), they are even owned by the Taiwanese… And in Pinarello, same story, they just paint the frames here in Italy.

andy - 07/24/14 - 12:05pm

knowing colnagos history, I’m guessing these are outsourced to someplace else in italy and the tubing and lugs are coming from asia…

Pacific - 07/24/14 - 12:33pm

My favorite shop’s been a dealer since 70′.
This is a sweet video. I’m glad they spent the money on it.

Hotep - 07/24/14 - 1:00pm

I lusted for a carbon Colnago since the ’93 introduction of the C40. I couldn’t afford it. Fifteen years later, I could finally afford a made in Italy, Campy equipped C50. Yea it’s two editions out of date, but out on the road it still makes me smile. By far, the best biking dollars I’ve ever spent.

K11 - 07/24/14 - 1:30pm

like to see that they are producing framesets in italy, vs asian made. i don’t know their product line that well, i’m sure not all their stuff is made there, but at least they are trying to keep some things homegrown.

Ajax - 07/24/14 - 1:33pm

If this video had two Asian guys working on the same frame, and the title is, “How Carbon Colnago Frames are built in China”, then anyone guess what the reaction would be then?

bikermark - 07/24/14 - 2:59pm

@Ajax. I’d love such a video because then people could see for themselves in what conditions their bike frames are parts are produced. Good and bad.

Craig - 07/24/14 - 4:49pm

The video does not show how the frames are made from raw materials, (as claimed below the video). It shows how they are assembled with pre-made tubes and lugs. Now, showing us where and how the tubes and lugs are made that would be interesting (in many respects).

K11 - 07/24/14 - 5:42pm

@Craig. i agree with you. if i’m honest i didn’t watch the video, so you have a point.

wheelz - 07/24/14 - 10:04pm

Colnago was one of the first Italian bicycle makers to outsource their carbon frames to Giant. Only the top-of-the-line C59/C60 are mostly made in Italy. I have one of the mid-range frames made by the Giant factory and I love it regardless. Just can’t justify spending over 6K just for a frame!