Koga Teases Disc Brake Road Bike w/ New Shimano Flat Mount Standard

2015 Koga disc brake road bike with new Shimano Flat Mount disc brake standard

Seems Shimano has more than just renderings of their new flat mount disc brake standard for road bikes. Koga just sent us this photo of a fork for an upcoming bike. Since they plan on showing it off at Eurobike, presumably complete, it means there must be a Shimano brake ready to go with it (right?). We’ll be on the show floor with camera’s ready to snap, stay tuned…

Comments

Dale - 07/16/14 - 9:47am

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Seriously, it’s like you’re trolling the commenters by calling this a standard. Just say its a new mounting configuration. Personally, I like the idea of having the brake mounted more low profile. I’m guessing it doesn’t need to stick out as far because of the smaller 140mm rotors on road bikes?

GROSS - 07/16/14 - 10:01am

How about using “proposed standard”?

pfs - 07/16/14 - 10:20am

There are no standards in the bike industry. Sorry guys, BSA is not a standard anymore. Its just BSA. And PF30 is just PF30. This brake stuff is the same way, new mounting options.

And in a couple of years there will be something else that is new and hopefully by then all the people that have personally lost and been wronged by this option will finally be able to accept it so they can start hating on the new thing.

brattercakes - 07/16/14 - 10:27am

Well said, @pfs

Andy - 07/16/14 - 10:50am

So, it’s post-mount spacing with the ‘posts’ flush with the fork leg? It does look tidy…

Mike - 07/16/14 - 10:51am

Actually it is a standard.

A technical standard does not mean that it is standardized 100% in the industry (or an internationally accepted standard at that).

It just means that it is a defined set of technical specifications and requirements that are to be used to make it compatible with other devices that are meant to interact with it.

In this case, the fork is manufactured to the tolerances of the specification to accept flat mount brakes that are manufactured to the tolerances of the specifications.

There are open standards, closed standards, industry standards, industry accepted standard, international standards, etc etc.

Sometimes the defined International Standard ends up becoming defunct for a newer standard developed by the industry (51mm vs 74mm post mount for example, since we are on the subject of brake mounting).

muf - 07/16/14 - 11:02am

and no thru axle so that you change the fork next year :)

feldy - 07/16/14 - 11:12am

@Dale: anybody want a peanut?

iperov - 07/16/14 - 11:23am

no thx.
Road bike only with lightweight V-brakes.

dionigi - 07/16/14 - 11:24am

I’ve seen the teaser of the new Ktm bikes range for 2015 with large use of this new “standard”. They use brackets to fix MTB calipers to the frame.

Aaron - 07/16/14 - 11:36am

I think the biggest troll that disc road bike manufacturers are pulling is not going to 15mm/142x12mm from the get-go, simply so they can introduce it later and call it a “glorious technological revolution.”

Thru-axles front and rear is the obvious choice, maybe not for ProTour bikes but for everyday use it’s way better than a QR.

ervgopwr - 07/16/14 - 11:59am

@ aaron. Exactly. Even Koga showing that fork with open ends is a waste of the flush mount ‘standard’ since we all want/discs work better with thru axles.

Andy - 07/16/14 - 12:50pm

I’ll be astonished if someone doesn’t have a 15mm flat mount fork out in short order.

Pete - 07/16/14 - 1:07pm

@Dale, I’d highly recommend a 160mm disc on front for all but the smallest of riders. I was given this advice when swapping in an Enve RD fork and TRP Hy/Rd brake on my non-disc road bike and glad I took it (I’m 175lbs). I run DA calipers w Reynolds cryo-blue pads on a cc rim on back and barely use them, so 140mm would be fine on the back for all but the heaviest of riders. I suspect this “standard” is spaced for 140mm so would need a PM spacer.

Pete - 07/16/14 - 1:13pm

My personal take is it’s a “standard” when I can interchange parts from two or more competing manufacturers…

There’s an old saying in electronics – ya gotta love standards with so many to choose from!

THAT GUY - 07/16/14 - 1:24pm

You guys are missing the point.

Koga is targeting the haphazardly progressive-Luddite demographic. People can now claim (in their own minds) that their aero-penalty concerns have been addressed with the new mount standard, while simultaneously continuing to poo-poo thru-axles.

Corey - 07/16/14 - 1:37pm

So much negativity…

John - 07/16/14 - 1:57pm

“The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.” -Anon

I don’t get all the angst. If Shimano is willing to publish a spec that frame builders are willing to build to, what’s the downside? The pitfall is that this could lead to vendor lock in, but if this spec is backward compatible with post mount hardware (which *already* have adapters) and it fits very clean and stable on the fork, then I guess I’m not seeing the downside.

My only hesitation to buying another bike with disc brakes is that I’m done with QR. Too much of a pain to get the rotor clearance just right when putting a wheel back on. If this speeds the adoption of thru-axle (and the pic above is almost certainly just a prototype) then I say bring it on.

John - 07/16/14 - 2:08pm

And I’m still waiting to see a road fork for hydraulic brakes that doesn’t rely on zip ties…

shawn - 07/16/14 - 2:39pm

“When is a standard not a standard?”

“When it’s in the bike industry!”

Jay - 07/16/14 - 2:46pm

here is a photo of the Shimano flat mount with an adapter to mount the rear caliper on a new KTM.

K11 - 07/16/14 - 3:00pm

@Dale. i think you are the one confused.

@Mike. i agree with your statement.

meyer - 07/16/14 - 3:03pm

Very good new standard by Shimano and class that Koga applies this same. All disk frame without them Standard are already obsolete.

Pete - 07/16/14 - 3:55pm

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for this, and 15mm will be next I’m guessing. I haven’t had problems aligning with QR now that my freeza and hy/rd pads are bedded, but I do get occasional light rub under flex from time to time. The Enve RD fork has a nice built-in clip so I never needed zip ties, but it’s only available for tapered headtubes. Pics @ windluvr dot com slash masi.

groghunter - 07/16/14 - 4:44pm

It has at least one thing going for it: if you buy a bike with this, & decide to swap to rim brakes, you won’t have ugly posts hanging out from your fork & frame.

(deleted)

Inspector Gadget - 07/16/14 - 5:40pm

Shimano is the 800lb gorilla of the bicycle component world. If they unveil a new disc caliper mount for road bikes it will pretty much become the default “standard”. It looks like it works with adapters for other “standards”. Why would anyone hell bent on using SRAM “brakes” be upset (other than with choosing SRAM brakes)?

pdxfixed - 07/16/14 - 5:54pm

They’re bringing back the Hayes 22mm mount??

Antipodean_G - 07/16/14 - 7:01pm

@Aaron @ervgopwr, yup, thru axels are the way to go. And if I recall correctly, there were some extensive tests done in the 00′s some time that illustrated quite clearly that QR’s and disc brakes are a dangerous combination, with the wheels pulling out of the dropouts depending on the quality/tightness of the QR itself. 15/142 thru is a solid combination.

As far as the actual *ahem* ‘standard’ – it’s nice and clean but I just fail to see why Shimano could not have dropped this from the get go – it’s not like people were already putting discs on road bikes. All it looks like is a typical industry farce, intro’ing something ‘new’ after people already started to commit to whatever was started with.

Mindless - 07/16/14 - 9:05pm

Anybody with a brain will run 160mm or larger disk. 140mm is too small in front. Thus, an adapter will be needed, making any “improvement” moot.

Prediction: It will go the way of the direct derailler mounting standard Shimano introduced, and nobody cared about. And integrated shift mounting, that few people actually use.

Mindless - 07/16/14 - 9:06pm

@groghunter: Why for the love of God will you ever go back to the last century rim brake technology.

Dale - 07/17/14 - 10:51am

So I guess a big ol’ adapter between the fork and the caliper is now a better idea than having a few small posts stick out of the fork? I just don’t see the benefit, but maybe it’ll be clearer once they start making brakes to fit this standard.

Flip - 07/17/14 - 10:54pm

@Mindless – Wrong, as usual. A number of manufacturers already have a version on the way, including Trek. It’s decided, it’s a standard. By 2017, no one will remember a time before it.

Campagnolo’s disc brakes will be developed around the same standard.

AbelF - 07/18/14 - 11:17am

For some reason, that fork reminds me of the video game, Portal.