Recall Roundup: Trek & Scott Recall Bikes for Fork Issues, & Tern Voluntarily Pulls Some Link Folding Bikes

Trek SR Suntour Fork RecallBoth Trek and Scott have issued safety recalls on a number of mid priced bicycles sold between 2011-2013 with SR Suntour Suspension Forks. According to the notice, the fork dropouts can break. All told, Scott is recalling 5,200 bikes, while Trek is recalling 120,000.

Customers are being asked to immediately stop using their bikes and to bring them to a dealer for inspection and repair. On some Trek bicycles, a replacement quick release can resolve the issue, but the manufacturer is replacing many models affected by the recall with RST Vita forks.

Thus far, Trek has received 28 reports of broken forks and five injuries. For more information, visit the CPSC webpage.

Bike Affected by Scott Steer Tube RecallScott is also recalling four different road bike models due to possible steer tube breaks. The recall affects 2,000 of the 2014 Speedster 30 and 40 bikes, and Contessa Speedster 25 and 35 models. You can use this guide on their safety notice to determine if your model is affected, or bring it to the dealer. Scott will replace at risk forks with a new model, free of charge. More info here at the CPSC.Tern Link RecallFolding bike manufacturer Tern has also announced a limited voluntary recall of their Link models, which were built between Aug 2011 and April 2012. If your frame is affected under the recall, Tern will replace it. Find out more here.

Comments

Johnny - 07/08/14 - 10:04am

Now if this were Specialized this forum would be livid.

Robert Ort - 07/08/14 - 12:35pm

Still waiting for mine to be repaired I hope TREK has a plan.

Chris W - 07/08/14 - 2:58pm

@robert Ort if you’ve taken it into your shop, then they’ve placed the order for the new part. Trek has a stock of the replacements now.

J Train - 07/08/14 - 5:36pm

You can’t blame Trek or Scott for contracting the world’s largest bicycle fork manufacturer to put forks on their frames. It’s a Suntour product, therefore a Suntour problem.

Dude on a bike - 07/08/14 - 5:47pm

It’s bizarre that only Trek and Scott are having this recall when these forks are used by every other company that sells bikes under their respective brand. must be something else going on here besides a fork issue I think.

Maybe that explains why SR isn’t issuing a recall of their own.

Alex - 07/08/14 - 8:41pm

A rigid fork offers way better performance than those ultra-heavy, sh*tty suntour forks.

Pat - 07/09/14 - 8:37pm

I work for a trek dealer and handle warranty. We are one of the shops that had a broken hybrid fork and the lady was not hurt. Trek was what i would call….pissed. They quickly shipped out a new bike and a higher up person within qc called me to ask to ship the fork back.

Today my first box of replacement forks arrived and i have a box of quick release skewers on for the mountain bikes. It will back us up a bit as a shop but we will get it done.

Jim - 07/11/14 - 11:42pm

I just got my 2012 8.5 DS back. It was one of the full fork replacements. My bike was the Matte Black color with basically hidden decals…the old fork was the same. The new fork is Shiny Black with big Red and White raised stickers. It looks noting like the bike I gave my dealer. Calling Trek on Monday…this is not a like for like replacement by any means.

Brian - 07/26/14 - 11:11pm

Have a 2013 Trek DS 8.5 – called Trek dealer where purchased. They do not have parts and say Trek will not provide until the bike is at the shop (they say they need to check/register serial). Said it would take 10-14 days. I’m not tying up my bike for 2 weeks when there is only 6 weeks of good weather left. Also indicated I would get gloss white or gloss black replacement, even though bike is all matte. Pretty crappy when you spend over a grand for a new bike. Will check out Specialized and others for next purchase.

Larry - 08/09/14 - 11:48am

Just got back from my dealer and heard the same BS about photos of the fork and filing a claim. This is a case study in how not to handle a safety recall. Making life difficult for customers after you have sold a defective unsafe product. Not a good business plan.

Michele - 10/13/14 - 1:48pm

Got a call from my bike shop – my replacement fork came in. He said it is a matte black paint, similar to the fork they are removing, and that I can pick up my bike tomorrow. I’ll let you know what it looks like. (Trek 8.6 DS)