First it was the S-Works McLaren Venge. That was followed with the S-Works McLaren TT helmet. The latest result from the technical collaboration between Formula 1 great McLaren and bicycle super power Specialized? That would be the all new S-Works McLaren Tarmac. Building on the already impressive and recently updated S-Works Tarmac, the McLaren connection takes the Rider-First engineering to the next level by offering an even lighter frame.
Of course, you’re also getting a number of custom touches including limited edition McLaren/Specialized apparel. That’s if you can get one though as there will only be 250 of the McLaren Orange packages available to the public. Want one? Find out how to get in line plus more after the break…
When it came time to give the new Tarmac the McLaren treatment, McLaren’s engineers admitted it would be a challenge to eke more performance out of the frame. Composite design engineer Joe Marsh said, “Our design benchmark, the new S-Works Tarmac, was already a very, very efficient structure to start with and in some ways this was a much tougher challenge than the Venge we worked on.”
It may have been a greater challenge, but that didn’t stop McLaren from trimming the weight of the frame and fork by 9-11% depending on the frame size. The proprietary carbon layup devised by McLaren is said to have no effect on the ride characteristics or the performance of the bike in spite of the reduced weight.
The attention to detail continues over to the components with a hand picked selection curated to offer performance fitting of the bike. S-Works McLaren Tarmacs with have custom touches like color matched components and exclusive Roval CLX40R tubular wheels – a 90 gram savings over the standard CLX 40s.
No limited edition bike is complete without a custom paint job and the paint and graphics applied by McLaren Special Operations in Woking, Surrey UK should qualify.
Completing the package is a matching set of custom sized S-Works Road Shoes and an S-Works Prevail helmet. In order to guarantee you have the right fit, each bike includes a Body Geometry Fit Session to select the proper frame and component sizes for the final bike. To ensure your new bike gets the attention it deserves, each kit will also include a personalized name plate and a wall mounting plaque to show off all of the McLaren Orange.
Limited to 250 units, S-Works McLaren Tarmacs will be offered through an online reservation process. Starting today, customers can sign up to purchase one of the collaborations until July 31, or while they last – whatever comes first. Ready for the price? How does $20,000 sound? Definitely not for everyone, but that’s why there’s only 250, right?
FRAME AND FORK
- McLaren optimized carbon layup resulting in a 9% – 11% weight savings over standard S-Works Tarmac depending on frame size;
- Rider-First Engineered for complete performance;
- Dedicated electronic drivetrain design for seamless integration.
WHEELS – CLX40R TUBULARS
- Custom, superlight carbon rim layup for a 30g weight savings per rim over standard CLX40 tubular wheels;
- Reduced spoke count from 18 front, 24 rear to 16 front, 21 rear for total wheelset weight of 1,150g;
- CeramicSpeed coated bearings for reduced rolling friction;
- Second complete set of CLX40 carbon clinchers for training included.
- Specially designed “Tarmac Black” and “Papaya Spark” colors co-developed with McLaren only ever found on the S-Works McLaren Tarmac collection;
- Frame and fork are painted in the same McLaren Special Operations (MSO) in Woking, Surrey as the $1.2 million McLaren P1 supercar;
- One of a kind, Electroform metal foil graphics applied at McLaren Special Operations.
- Exclusively designed crankset with new carbon fiber spider design which reduces weight by 10g over standard version;
- CeramicSpeed coated bearings ensure smooth rolling with reduced friction;
- Color matched to frame in exclusive McLaren Papaya Spark Orange.
HANDLEBAR – AEROFLY SL
- Superlight carbon layup exclusive to the S-Works McLaren Tarmac, saves 25 grams;
- Wind-tunnel tested for improved aerodynamics coupled with extreme rigidity.
- Included are a pair of custom sized, color matched S-Works Road Shoes as well as a color matched S-Works Prevail Helmet. This exclusive colorway is only available with the S-Works McLaren Tarmac project;
- Specially designed wall mount display developed exclusively for the S-Works McLaren Tarmac holds the bike, shoes, and helmet elegantly;
- Included BodyGeometry Fit consultation with a qualified Specialized representative;
- As one in a numbered series of 250 a personalized nameplate and certificate of authenticity is included.