PatchnRide Promises Simple Flat Repair without Removing the Tire – Even on Tubulars

Pretend for a moment that you’re not an expert flat repair person, and that you barely know how to work a quick release. For that rider, or anyone else who doesn’t want to deal with the hassle of repairing a flat tire, it looks like things could be getting a lot easier in the near future. A new company by the name of patchnride has taken on the flat tire, and is offering the simplest method of getting air back in your tubes without ever having to remove the tire. The secret lies in a clever device that “injects” a patch into the tire. Once inserted, the tire can be reinflated and you’re on your way in about 60 seconds.

See how it works after the break…

Using their leak detector liquid, which is applied with a cloth, remaining air in the tire causes the hole to bubble showing where the leak is. We’re assuming you would want to remove any bits of glass or thorns before proceeding. The patchnride tool uses a single use Patch Pod with versions for specific uses – mountain, road, etc. The tool itself will measure about 5 inches long and weigh 100g , and uses a needle to insert the patch into the tire. Since the patch goes between the tire and the tube, we’re assuming that the patch has adhesive on the tube side, and inflating the tube presses it against the patch, sealing the hole. All of this can be done with the tire still on the rim, meaning it seems like the perfect repair for tubular tires especially during a race. Capable of patching holes up to 3mm in diameter, patchnride can be used multiple times on the same tire as long as the hole isn’t in the same place.

Currently available for pre-order, patchnride won’t be available until this Fall. Your $30 pre-order includes a tool, two Patch Pods and two Leak Detectors plus shipping. No word on how much replacement Patch Pods will cost in the future.

patchnride.com

Comments

Duncan - 06/24/14 - 11:09am

Would you trust a guy who can’t buy a correct shouldered courier bag?

Out for a Ride - 06/24/14 - 11:10am

Forget the patch kit, I want that floor pump. One shove and your tire is full!

mike - 06/24/14 - 11:12am

rad!

Stuck at work - 06/24/14 - 11:14am

Too bad this wouldn’t work with pinch flats…

Mick - 06/24/14 - 11:21am

This product creates more questions than provides answers.
Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about the success rate of this product (or the company)

Gunnstein - 06/24/14 - 11:22am

Count me interested. Not that I get flats often, but when I do it is usually cold, wet, dark, or all of the above. Needs independent reviews…

j - 06/24/14 - 11:34am

wow

can’t even begin to question how long this thing might work, if even at all.
Hey add CO2, so it inflates it too!

As a professional, and as a rider this looks sketchy.

MS - 06/24/14 - 11:46am

I don’t know about the product, but it’s one of the best-done Kickstarter videos that I’ve seen. It’s struck that rare balance of information, humor and humility.

lmwong - 06/24/14 - 12:32pm

Huh, so this is what the Translogic guy is doing now…interesting.

Jorge - 06/24/14 - 12:34pm

This looks WAY too good to be true. I’m not liking the whole making the hole bigger for the tool pin to go in and inject the patch…way to ruin a tire. I don’t know, looks promising, something that “easy” would be great for long road rides. Hope this works.

Weston - 06/24/14 - 12:42pm

@duncan, I didn’t notice at first, but now I can’t stop seeing that messenger bag strap. That’s all I see now!

scott - 06/24/14 - 12:49pm

@duncan I was wondering if had had a shunt or a drain in from an accident, and needed rib padding.

The Conductor - 06/24/14 - 12:52pm

Yes, it creates more questions:

If you do not have the basic skill to fix a flat traditionally, how is grommy user supposed to master this without adding a new hole in the tube if you don’t “pinch” correctly?

Will patch stick to tire talc?

How long before a kid injects his buddy in the arm for “fun?”

Will video guy get up the nerve to ride in the street and not the sidewalk?

Will his coffee shop roommate teach him how to properly use a shoulder strap?

Will it work on a beach ball, or an inflatable mattress? If so, it may have a future…

Fattylocks - 06/24/14 - 12:53pm

What bag? I saw a nice Serotta. Tooling down the sidewalk with keds.

wheelz - 06/24/14 - 1:10pm

The majority of the leaks on my road bike are slow leaks caused by tiny thorns or a peice of wire. I agree with Jorge above that making the whole bigger seems like a good way to ruin an expensive tire. On my mountain bike, main problem is pinch flats, so this would not help there either.

DebbieDowners - 06/24/14 - 1:50pm

Man, listen to you guys! For many people, this will work just fine. If you are just simply too hip (really, all the comments about his bag? Get over yourselves sheesh), or too pro, or your typical flat causing mechanism is too small, then cool, don’t buy the product.

I see something that stands to benefit the AVERAGE rider, who patronizes bike shops for gadgets, who cruises around and gets nails in their tires, and who isn’t a pro mechanic and would otherwise have to go to the bike shop to try and fix that flat.

True, it probably wont work for pinch-flats, so that is a good argument.

MattS - 06/24/14 - 4:51pm

This product comes close to being something I’d be keen on purchasing: an option for patching my TUBELESS tires while they are still mounted. This is an actual problem all tubeless users face: a hole in the tire too big for sealant to plug. On mtb tires, any real loss of air I’ve ever had has been too much for my sealant. For the road tires, the small stuff gets covered, but 2-3mm cuts don’t tend to seal with 80 or more psi in the tire. I want an umbrella-like thingy I can stick in and ‘deploy’ against the tire casing. The sealant can do the rest. Anyone who uses tubeless tires with sealant will likely agree that sticking tubes in during rides sucks; it’s really messy, and tubeless road tires don’t like to seat so well with tubes in them.

Tom - 06/24/14 - 5:43pm

I’d say 70-90% of flats that I fix at the shop are pinch flats. Can’t see this working with pinch flats, or any other puncture that’s not through the top of the tread.

TBH – fixing a flat tyre is not hard. Using tyre levers, a new tube and some elbow grease is more economical and for someone who’s done a couple, probably faster and with a higher success rate with little potential for re-do’s down the line.

bob - 06/24/14 - 6:04pm

Thanks for tossing the nail on the ground dude.

Timmbo - 06/24/14 - 6:46pm

ummmm… im afraid IT IS THE COOLEST JOB IN THE WORLD!!!

Ajax - 06/24/14 - 7:09pm

Have you clones never ever gotten a flat tire in your car?!

This is how the mechanics at the gas stations patch a car tire that has a nail in it. Stop acting like this is ground breaking!

Mick - 06/24/14 - 7:14pm

@ MattS…from what I see, it won’t work with tubeless…(not to be confused with tubular)…The patch goes inbetween the tire casing & tube…The tube is required for the product to work properly.

M68k - 06/24/14 - 7:26pm

Eventhough I’ve good experiences with tubulars and sealant, it might be an interesting alternative, which is more like the tube repair of the old days with thread and needle, just easier without thread and needle.
But I am wondering if it is really possible to separate tube and tire by pressing the tire.
And how reliable will the tire be at the point of insertion afterwards.

saddlesniffer - 06/24/14 - 8:31pm

Because every flat that I have ever had I could totally see what caused it sticking out of my tire. Oh and wear your bag right…

Mark - 06/24/14 - 11:12pm

Injecting latex into the right spot instead of filling the tube with heaps of latex to fix a hole. What a terrific idea.
Just a shame to have to read all the bleating, groaning, whining, depressingly uber negative posts about it.

Hotep - 06/24/14 - 11:54pm

Wow….The BR ninnies are testy today. I’d buy it just to see if the damn thing really worked. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Ajax is right. This is how your auto tires are fixed at the shop.

Pacific - 06/25/14 - 1:21am

Cherry Serotta.

Dave B - 06/25/14 - 7:06am

Yes, this is about how a flat car tire is fixed but car tires are tubeless and locating the hole in the tire is always the actual hole. That’s not true for tube-type bike tires where the leak in the tube may not be detectable from the tire exterior.

Scotty - 06/25/14 - 11:55am

Correct way to fix a car tire is by dismounting the tire and adding a patch from the inside. I haven’t seen a tire shop use plugs in over 20 years.

As a former bike mechanic, I see a few issues with this. What do you do if you hit a patch of thorns? I’ve had both tires completely covered with thorns on a ride, which is why I always carry 2 tubes.

Someone already asked if it will stick to talc.

Finding where the puncture is sometimes pretty hard. I’ve fixed many flats where it was a really small steel wire. Can’t see it. Only way is to run a tissue on the inside of the tire to see where it snags.

BikeHoarder6 - 06/25/14 - 2:25pm

Many years ago I was mtb’ing a trail in Palm Desert. I rode right over a little cactus ball. My suspension fork arch knocked-off the catus ball, but the spines remained. I used a Leatherman to pull the spines out. My tire never flatted. My buddies were astounded. Mr. Tuffy tire liners.
They are kinda heavy, but work as advertised.

el puerco - 06/25/14 - 4:02pm

It’s a Pet Rock for uninformed cyclists.

I’m impressed with the presenter’s serious tone while lying throughout the presentation. I’m even more impressed with BR taking it seriously when it’s little more than a short con type of grift that the presenter is offering. Naturally this sort of activity is what makes BR the pinnacle of detached, objective reporting on the cycling world — the sheer gullibility and unthinking service as a conduit for the confidence men and women who play in the cycling world.

I am truly impressed.

Monkey Throwing - 06/25/14 - 6:32pm

Do I get to be the first one to point out he wasn’t wearing a helmet?
yeahhhhh. #wintheinternet
Also, the audio from edited clip to edited clip wasn’t mastered at the same volume.
There.
What else can we pick on and not talk about the actual design of the product?

Patch-it! - 06/27/14 - 11:33am

PatchnRide – For the incompetent.

Isnt that what the video is saying? It is sweet if it works as fast as it shows, i doubt it though.

DrDarrenKreitman - 07/01/14 - 9:10am

To all the readers (both positive and skeptical), I too was hesitant when I heard about this. I actually know the creator and when he simply said come to my office and do it yourself and give me your opinion, I was blown away. This product has been many years in the making. It is not a made in China 80 cent piece of you know what. Additionally the entire team are avid cyclists and ironman. They really have it all together. So the best thing we can all do is find out more and try it.

Bill - 07/14/14 - 7:41pm

I wouldn’t use it, but I can see it having a niche with people who don’t/can’t/won’t fix a flat. Even if it works on a majority of flats, and that’s a big if, i would still have to carry the same supplies I currently carry to fix the flats that the patchnride doesn’t. Carrying more stuff, especially duplicated supplies, is not something I would be interested in.