Speak Softly and Carry a Titanium Hammer from Abbey Bike Tools

Speak Softly and Carry a Titanium Hammer from Abbey

As Jason Quade from Abbey Bike tools puts it, this is what happens when no one tells the tool maker, no. After one of Jason’s customers requested a Ti hammer, at first he didn’t know what to think. Once he made the first hammer though, Jason was sold. The result is a pro level titanium hammer with the addition of a soft face. Why would you want a titanium hammer? For starters, this another one of those tools that is definitely geared towards the professional traveling mechanic since it will be lighter than a comparable steel hammer. Also, titanium hammers are said to be more efficient than steel, transferring more swing energy into the work. That means less energy is directed as recoil, and you can get the same job done effectively with a smaller hammer since you can swing faster.

The only reason you wouldn’t want one is the price, with the Abbey Team Issue Ti hammer retailing for $165. That price is for a 12″ hammer with a 6/4 titanium head, replaceable soft face, and an ESI silicone grip for the handle which makes for a 265g package. The soft face will be replaceable with many of the common 1″ threaded faces currently on the market. As with many Abbey special issues, the Ti hammer will be made in a limited run of 50, with delivery estimated by the end of June.

Speak Softly and Carry a Titanium Hammer from Abbey Speak Softly and Carry a Titanium Hammer from Abbey

If the thought of a Ti hammer gets you excited, get your order in soon!

abbeybiketools.com

Comments

ntac - 06/10/14 - 12:52pm

Stop.
Hammer Time.

Anders - 06/10/14 - 1:07pm

This gives no sense to me as the whole idea of a hammer is to have as high a weight of the head for a given size to transfer as much energy as possible. But Ti as a nice material especially when used for the Litespeed bottle opener which I will use shortly :-)

i - 06/10/14 - 1:25pm

“it will be lighter than a comparable steel hammer. Also, titanium hammers are said to be more efficient than steel, transferring more swing energy into the work. That means less energy is directed as recoil, and you can get the same job done effectively with a smaller hammer.”

1: the whole purpose of a hammer is for it to be heavy. You know what else is lighter than a pound of steel? 8oz of steel. that’s how toolmakers that aren’t just trying to make something expensive work.
2: The recoil comments were meant as a joke, right? You aren’t really that ignorant that you think that statement is anything but nonsense. Consider for a moment the state of the bike industry where a statement this stupid can’t be easily recognized as a joke.

talkinSmack - 06/10/14 - 1:37pm

This is for traveling professional mechanics. Airline baggage weights etc etc.

Out for a Ride - 06/10/14 - 1:43pm

Can’t wait for the titanium wrecking ball to come out!

rich - 06/10/14 - 1:52pm

I don’t know i, there seems to be some truth to the whole ti thing – http://www.manvstool.com/post/1020489862/titanium-vs-steel-are-titanium-hammers-worth-the

Chris - 06/10/14 - 1:57pm

Meh. A plastic dead blow mallet is probably just as light and a fraction of the cost. That said, I love the idea of lighter weight tools. The Howe case I used when I was still a race/event mechanic weighed well over 25 pounds. Add in a repair stand, floor pump and it’s a lot of stuff to schlep around, especially during cross season when you may not be able to drive up to the pits to unload.

Booth - 06/10/14 - 2:18pm

everyone here who is speaking against this tool, obviously you’ll never buy it, so stop and and leave. There are million dollar cars and some under 10k, there is a pricepoint and purpose for everything, go away, or enjoy the read.

Marc P. - 06/10/14 - 2:45pm

Looks awesome! Can’t wait for mine to show up.

LemondRider - 06/10/14 - 5:15pm

If it is new and shiny and is made of titanium or has the Apple logo on it …..I’m all in!

Jake - 06/10/14 - 5:50pm

I have a titanium bong made out of bike tubing, had to give three ounces of primo bud for it. I get hammered whenever I use it.

greg - 06/10/14 - 9:19pm

rich,
still doesnt address why one doesnt just get a lighter steel hammer. the handle is where i would consider only removing mass.
still, that’s not the point. the point IMO is that it is ti, which is cool, yet it STILL works well. and it will match your other Abbey tools in your toolbox.

Early adaptor - 06/11/14 - 1:06am

Meh…

Call me when they make a CF version. Titanium is so..2000s.

rich - 06/11/14 - 1:33am

greg, I’m no physicist, but I was looking at the Fine home building citation at the bottom which says titanium directs less energy back as recoil than steel. Conservation of energy means it that’s true it’s either going into the object being struck or converted to heat right?

Gordon - 06/11/14 - 4:15am

I have several tools from Abbey Bike Tools.All of high quality and equally as important they all make my job a little bit easier. Titanium hammer? Heck ya. Not only am I confident the hammer is going to be expertly made, I want to support a small business, I want to support Jason who is using his creative side and following his passion.

If a high quality, lightweight, strong, cool as heck titanium hammer doesn’t appeal to you… then move along.

Lawrence - 06/11/14 - 10:11am

If it is anything like the Titanium framing hammers I use it is worth every penny.

chasejj - 06/11/14 - 11:11am

First of all. This is awesome. Love it on many levels.
2nd-It makes really cool sparks when you miss. Just don’t leave any flammable liquids in quantity nearby

Al Czervik - 06/11/14 - 10:14pm

Hey, you scratched my anchor!

Mike - 06/12/14 - 1:35am

As a shop mechanic, this is perfect for when a customer questions why you are pounding on a bike with a hammer.

“It’s not just any hammer, it’s a $165 titanium hammer…and if you used a little anti-seize and a torque wrench when you installed this while drunk off your ass, I wouldn’t need it at all.”