Kickstarter: Thin is Key with the TIK Keychain
Pocket space is always limited, so a new Kickstarter campaign aims to minimize the profile of your keys by upcycling old bicycle chains. The advantage of using bicycle chains is the thin profile. According the Kickstarter “80% of TIK’s surface is as thin as possible: no thicker than your key’s blade. And the rest 20% (the chain structure) is only 2,4mm thicker.”Another advantage to the design is weight. By removing the excess metal around the keyhead, the keychain sheds a few grams. As responsible gram counting cyclists, nothing could be of more importance.
As the chains are recycled, the company plans to offer the links in as many different options as there are chain colors – shiny gold, stealth black, etc…The chains are also modular, so you can link as many keys as possible.
In the future, they also hope to offer bottle openers, memory sticks, and other useful EDC (every day carries).
Interested? A TIK Keychain in silver with 1-6 blanks requires a $35 pledge. Every additional key is another $2. Each set comes with a minimal lanyard and a rare earth magnet dubbed the “Magical Wall Mount,” which will hold your keys to any surface.
They’ve just surpassed the $1,500 mark on their way to their ultimate goal of $23,000, with 28 days to go. So head here to purchase one, or go to your local bike shop or bike coop and try building your own!
Have you built something similar in the past? Share it with us in the comments!