Shimano Unveils XTR Di2 M9050, Mountain Bikes Go Digital, Lose a Shifter

Shimano XTR M9050 Di2 new synchronized shifting electornic RD-M9050-GS_STD_img02

The future is now. Introducing the first ever compete production electronic mountain bike drivetrain, Shimano XTR Di2 M9050. Shimano was rumored to have an electrified version of their new top tier mountain bike group, but we’ve had to wait until now to see it.

Bicycle drivetrains seem to be at a critical point, one where the number of speeds, chainrings, manner of shifting, and the presence or absence of wires are all crashing together in a mix of aluminum, steel, carbon, and Ti. While the drivetrain arms race has yet to be fullyconquered by any one manufacturer, Shimano has delivered a strong blow with the unveiling of XTR M9050.

If the choice between 1x, 2x, and 3x wasn’t already enough, Shimano has managed to add even more options to choose from – and it’s these new options that have us most intrigued.

Firebolt through for more…

Shimano XTR M9050 Di2 new synchronized shifting electornic SC-M9050_STD_01

Drawing on more than half a decade of past experience with Di2, Shimano has no qualms about calling 9050 the most advanced Di2 system yet. Many of the possibilities with XTR wouldn’t have been possible without the advancements of the E-Tube wiring system which means that yes, for now 9050 will have wires. Shimano remains coy about the future of wireless electronic drivetrains from either them or their competitors, but for now the system will have the same wires and connectors as current E-tube systems. That means that the 9050 system is directly compatible with the Fox ICD suspension, with controls built into the shifters and suspension position displayed on the SC-M9050 display unit.

In addition to Fox ICD mode, the handlebar mounted display unit will show the battery level, gear position, and Shift Mode. Changes to the system can also be made at the display including switching between S1, S2, and manual shift maps (we’ll get to that in a bit), and adjusting the rear derailleur with an easy adjustment mode that includes a numerical adjustment indicator.

Shimano XTR M9050 Di2 new synchronized shifting electornic SM-BTC1_STD_01

In total, the system has 9 E-tube wiring ports – 3 at Junction A, and 6 at Junction B. Junction A is found at the Display Unit which also serves as the charging port which provides the ability to charge internal batteries. However, the new SM-BTC1 battery case acts as a holder for the SM-BTR2 battery and mounts to a mountain bike’s bottle mounts. The case also serves as Junction B with 6 E-tube wiring ports and a built in cable organizer. Shimano says the 6 ports leave room for expansion – which after the FD, RD, Battery, Junction A, and Fox ICD rear leaves what? Is it possible this extra port hints towards a future with electronic dropper posts?

While Shimano isn’t releasing an official XTR internal battery with the system, the E-tube wires are compatible with the current SM-BTR2 battery which can be stashed in many seat posts. Shimano hasn’t introduced a separate Junction B for internal wiring, but you can use the current SM-JC41 internal junction Box that is used for Ultegra and Dura Ace. If you do that though, you will be limited to 4 wiring ports which would mean no Fox ICD rear control (4 ports – one for battery, one for FD, one for RD, and one to Junction A). Something tells us that in the future as internal wiring and battery storage standards get worked out, we may see a new internal Junction B as well.

One of the most exciting features of 9050 Di2 would have to be the new Synchronized shifting system. We would be remiss if we didn’t give Fairwheel bikes credit for getting the ball rolling with the first sequential shifting drivetrain that we’ve seen, but it seems that Shimano and maybe even SRAM have taken notice. First, the disclaimer – if you aren’t keen on a sequential shifting Shimano isn’t forcing you, as you can use two shifters just like you would currently, just electronically. However, if you like the idea of always being in the most mechanically efficient gear and only having one shifter to worry about with one button for up and one down, Synchronized shifting seems like the ticket.

Shimano XTR 9050 already combines the auto-trimming feature that has made the front shifting on their road groups so popular, but Shimano Synchronized Shift takes it to the next level. Using a single shifter to shift up or down, the brain of the drivetrain automatically shifts both front and rear derailleurs to stay in the optimal gear. This opens up the possibility of a 2×11 or even 3×11 drivetrain all controlled with a single shifter. Shimano made a point with Dynasys in pointing out that a bigger gear is a more mechanically efficient gear which helps to prolong drivetrain life. Synchronized Shift automatically keeps you in the biggest gear while sequentially moving through the gearing.

Shimano XTR Di2 Synchronized Shift Map

Shimano XTR Di2 Synchronized Shift map triple

The yellow plot line illustrates gearing while shifting down (harder), the red shifting up (easier). Watch the video for a better idea of how Synchronized Shifting works.

Shimano has built in two different customizable shift maps which allow you to change when the front derailleur shifts if the terrain or personal preference warrants it, and the Display Unit can be set to put out an audible alarm that will sound just before an upcoming front shift. Riders can chose to run two shifters and change back and forth between Synchronized Shift modes and manual or ditch one of the shifters completely.

This also offers ability to run a left or a right shifter only, which could be very handy for adaptive bikes where a right shifter (or left for that matter) may not be an option. Shimano mentions that Di2 has been a revelation for the para-athlete community, and XTR Di2 is only set to provide even more options – pretty cool.

Shimano XTR M9050 Di2 new synchronized shifting electornic SW-M9050_L_STD_01 Shimano XTR M9050 Di2 new synchronized shifting electornic SW-M9050_R_STD_01

Speaking of shifters, XTR 9050 ushers in the new Di2 Firebolt which is a complete new take on the way mountain bike shifters are designed. Since they are simply buttons, Shimano was able to design a shifter that they say is perfectly designed with ideal ergonomics. The rotary design places two buttons directly at the tip of your thumbs. Each lever position can be adjusted independently, and the buttons offer what Shimano calls “Short stroke, perfect click,” which leads us to believe they will have a tactile click.

Like other Di2 shifters, the Firebolt shifters are fully programmable including multi shift, shift speed, and control of Fox ICD suspension. Changes can be made by connecting the bike to your computer through the battery charging USB cable and Shimano points out that you can program the shifters to perform whatever function you need them to do.

Shimano XTR M9050 Di2 new synchronized shifting electornic RD-M9050-GS_STD_01

Of course, no mountain bike drivetrain would be complete these days without a clutched derailleur so the RD-M9050 includes Shimano’s Shadow + technology complete with the new easily adjustable clutch mechanism that was introduced on M9000. Offered in both GS and SGS cage options, the derailleur is fairly similar to the XTR M9000 with the addition of a motor. That includes the new geometry and an offset parallelogram for improved shifting and increased stability.

One of the big concerns with XTR Di2 will inevitably be damaging the rear derailleur. While it won’t completely protect you from obstacles on the trail, the derailleur does at least have the same crash saver mode built in where the derailleur will disconnect internally following a crash to protect it from harm.

Shimano XTR M9050 Di2 new synchronized shifting electornic FD-M9070_STD_02

For many riders, the reasons for switching to 1x drivetrains include simplicity, less weight, and the fact that many front derailleurs over the years have, well, sucked or at the very least been hard to adjust. Now, that could all be changing. XTR 9050 will already be lighter and simpler with only one shifter, and with the addition of the new FD-M9050, front shifting should be dramatically better as well. Built to shift with 25% more power than the M9000 front derailleur, the FD-M9050 should shift better under load while auto trimming for quiet operation.

Shimano XTR M9050 Di2 new synchronized shifting electornic SM-FD905-L_STD_01 Shimano XTR M9050 Di2 new synchronized shifting electornic SM-FD905-H_STD_01

Shimano XTR M9050 Di2 new synchronized shifting electornic SM-FD905-E_STD_01 Shimano XTR M9050 Di2 new synchronized shifting electornic SM-FD905-D_STD_01

Shimano has chosen a modular mounting system for the front derailleur, with separate clamps available for traditional seat tubes in low and high mount, as well as high and low direct mount. Not only does this cut down on expensive parts for dealers to carry, it also means if you want to switch your system to a different bike you’ll need a new bracket rather than a new derailleur. Rather than the typical braze on mount found on road Di2 derailleurs, the mountain FD slides onto the bracket and then is bolted in place.

Still set on a 1x drivetrain? That’s fine – simply ditch the front derailleur and run a single Firebolt shifter and rear derailleur. Single ring divetrains will still use Shimano’s 11-40 11 speed cassette which doesn’t offer quite the range of the 1x competition from SRAM. To that regard Shimano states that their philosophy is based around specific gearing for specific courses. By keeping all gear steps under 15%, cadence changes are kept to a minimum and the drivetrain should theoretically last longer thanks to more efficient gearing. That’s probably not that answer many want to hear, but now with a 2×11 drivetrain and Synchronized Shifting providing a wider range than 1x systems with a single shifter, Shimano has a compelling argument.

What about the weight? When it comes to the entire system, a 2x drivetrain with only one shifter will be the same weight as a mechanical M9000 system. The actual M9050 components are 47 grams heavier than M9000, but the subtraction of the weight from cables and housing levels the playing field.

• Front derailleur (FD-M9070 D-type) : 115 grams
  • Rear derailleur (RD-M9050-GS) : 289 grams
  • System display (SC-M9050) : 30 grams
  • Shift switch (SW-M9050) : 64 grams
  • FD = M9050 is 5 grams lighter
  • RD = M9050 is 68 grams heavier
  • SL = M9050 is 36 grams lighter (if you just use 1 it is 136 grams lighter)
  • BT = 51 grams (extra item)
  • SC = 30 grams (extra item)

Pricing is still to be determined, but Shimano expects the price difference to be roughly the same as mechanical Dura Ace and Di2 Dura Ace, or about 40% more. XTR M9050 is expected to ship to retailers in Q4 of 2014, so we all have to wait at least until October.

bike.shimano.com

Comments

Matt - 05/30/14 - 11:03am

Yes, first to comment and can I say F YEAH. This is awesome.

Joey Brown - 05/30/14 - 11:15am

Awesome!

Andrew - 05/30/14 - 11:17am

40% more expensive than XTR is already? A full XTR drivetrain already costs about 40% more than an XX1 drivetrain. So we are paying more money for something which is heavier, will cost $700-800 bucks if it gets hit too hard on a rock, and potentially has an adult toy attached to the cage mount. I’m all for progress, but this is a lot of sideways and only a little forwards.

Pasabaporaquí - 05/30/14 - 11:22am

From an aesthetics point of view, it doesn’t turn me on. That screen looks hideous in my opinion…
I’m sure it’ll work flawlessly, but XTR has gone more and more to the dark side of beauty with each iteration…

Bike Shop Guy - 05/30/14 - 11:29am

Got to demo this months back when shimano took it on tour (NDA’s all around) and I must say this blows that SRAM sh*t out of the water. Yes, it’s more expensive, but cycling has always been a pay to play sport.

Jake - 05/30/14 - 11:29am

I don’t care about your feelings about electronic shifting, this is a pretty damn cool technological innovation.

Turbo - 05/30/14 - 11:29am

Its a bike not a computer. Dislike.

Pepelu - 05/30/14 - 11:30am

What i understand is that it was a good idea to go with 1*11

Pepelu - 05/30/14 - 11:32am

1*howmany_you_whant_i don’t_care is future! not this…

Greg - 05/30/14 - 11:34am

That display sucks

Theo - 05/30/14 - 11:35am

Looks like rider distraction is the next big issue, unless google glasses can add a heads up display, wait is that better or worse.

CfR - 05/30/14 - 11:36am

people were crapping on the idea of electronic/computerized shifting when Di2 and EPS first came out. This is nothing new, and the fact that Di2 and EPS have truly proven themselves to work beautifully speaks for themselves. Progress is going to happen – get used to it, @Turbo!

This stuff is one of the biggest things to happen to mountain bike components in years. YEARS.

Matt - 05/30/14 - 11:38am

For all you haters – Suck it. This is what progress feels like. It is only a first iteration, but electronic shifting and all its benefits are now here for mountain biking. Sweet and let the games begin.

huelse - 05/30/14 - 11:46am

SyncroShift was a mid-90s development of a french brand with the same name. They were bought by Shimano in 2001.

iperov - 05/30/14 - 11:47am

will wait cheap China alternative of e-shifter

jen - 05/30/14 - 11:49am

its a bad day at sram… lol

vectorbug - 05/30/14 - 11:51am

“will wait cheap China alternative of e-shifter”

That is a pretty disappointing “strategy” if you actually appreciate the bike industry and the people who try to make a living in it. Do you even like bikes?

cole - 05/30/14 - 11:52am

Yay for electronic MTB specific, I’m all for technology advancement. But auto selection for front shifting based on the calculated ratios? Hate to have the system want to shift the front when I’m trying to dump a bunch of gears in the middle of a race at the bottom of a tricky climb. Hopefully the front shifting is money under high torque. XX1 grip shift rules in these situations.

Ryan - 05/30/14 - 11:53am

I ride rigid SS. My view on this is obvious. Simplicity is beautiful, and reliable.

AbelF - 05/30/14 - 11:55am

Cool! I am sure this will appeal to lots of folks and become very popular. This could send sram and their XX1 back to the dugout. Even though I am a tech geek, I dont like to have to recharge stuff on my bikes, as for me, the escense of them is human power (excpet for my bike lights). I rode a di2 equiped road bike for a couple of rides and although I was impressed by how nicely if shifted, it sparked no interest in me to own one as a well adjusted and mantained cable system work almost or equally as well without relying on electronics and a battery you need to charge every so often.

Heffe - 05/30/14 - 11:57am

I don’t want to deal with keeping a battery charged just to ride a bike, I’ll pass.

jose - 05/30/14 - 11:58am

This is so bad ass.

Jay - 05/30/14 - 11:58am

Are these XTR components compatible with road DI2 shifters? Specifically, could the RD be used with a road group to give a wider range?

fisho - 05/30/14 - 12:04pm

Yes! My biggest like about Di2 is that it makes my tiny freak of nature small hands so much easier to shift compared to mechs.

Battery, it is easy, the first of every month throw it on the charger for 5 min. done. It will last about 4 months anyway. Easier than changing shifter cables every year because you know it will break if you don’t.

Haldy - 05/30/14 - 12:07pm

Wider range? At what point is a 34-28 not a wide enough range? Any lower a gear than that, and it would be faster to walk up the hill…

T - 05/30/14 - 12:21pm

Can I use the computer thingy as junction A and these derailleurs to make a triple road group for, lets say, a tandem? I have never had my tandem shift anything more than OK. If I could have perfect shifting on it…oh my.

Matt - 05/30/14 - 12:26pm

I really like the idea of electronic shifting for endurance mtn bike racing. I am already a bad shifter, and when you add 10+ hours on the bike and dirt everywhere, shifting starts getting silly.

I am hopeful that this problem can be solved with a few thousand dollars now. Ha.

G - 05/30/14 - 12:26pm

Old Suntour had it going on! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stCbRXWdSEo

dorkdisk - 05/30/14 - 12:37pm

I love tech. I build my own computers.

I love bikes. I build my own bikes.

None of my bikes have computers and oddly this does nothing to me. I like bikes because they are human powered

But yeah, it is pretty cool and I can see the advantages but I dont see myself leaving my analog piano wires anytime soon

Topmounter - 05/30/14 - 12:41pm

I’ll keep my clicky shifters until they release a version hardened to withstand an EMP.

ro - 05/30/14 - 12:44pm

It is like connecting an touch pad to a mechanical typewriter… I´m for internal gears development…how about Di internal gears?

wheel-addict - 05/30/14 - 12:53pm

This looks pretty cool, but as somebody who writes software for a living, my bike is my refuge from the digital/electronic world. I hate the idea of having to plug charge anything just to ride my bike.

scott - 05/30/14 - 12:57pm

What shite. I can’t think of a worse thing than having a computer decide when my front derailleur shifts WHILE I AM ON A MOUNTAIN. Actually I can’t think of a worse thing than having a front derailleur. 1X11 for me please. This is for people with too much money.

SamSkjord - 05/30/14 - 1:00pm

Did you read the bit where it was optional and awesome or just skip to the comments to rage that something might not be perfect for your exact circumstances and is therefore sh*t because everyone rides exactly the same way you do?

scott - 05/30/14 - 1:01pm

@vectorbug Anyone who actually appreciates the bike industry and those who work in it knows that Shimano has the worst margins and the ultimate “f*^k you” attitude to anyone who carries their products.

nunyab - 05/30/14 - 1:03pm

@ro, Internal Di already exists. Alfine Di2 Internal 11 speed.

herrow prease - 05/30/14 - 1:13pm

Still crack up at the notion that anyone makes anything for a triple up front. Who runs a triple up front these days? You don’t even see 2x setups anymore but 3x..Shimano why waste your time?

Anders - 05/30/14 - 1:13pm

We are still waiting for sequential shifting for the road line…

scott - 05/30/14 - 1:20pm

@SamSkjord – It is you who read incorrectly. 1x is available on Mechanical XTR, not the Di version.

badbikemechanic - 05/30/14 - 1:21pm

We are still waiting for SRAM to do a electronic road group whilst Shimano knocks it out of the park with offroad di2. This is sweet.

kurti_sc - 05/30/14 - 1:22pm

well, it’s cool technology. I’m probably more like Ryan and a few others, though. It might be cool, but I don’t think I want it. Biking, cycling, is better in it’s simpler forms, in my opinion.
It will be exciting to see this develop but I consider this a warning shot to stock up on the stuff I currenlty ride / like so I can hold off on being part of the learning curve on this one.

badbikemechanic - 05/30/14 - 1:29pm

@Scott

Everyone who works in the bike industry knows that Shimano’s warranty is simply the best. They have a new part in the mail as soon as you report a problem. Another company that starts with “S” require you to mail in and wait for inspection.

SamSkjord - 05/30/14 - 1:32pm

@herrow prease Shimano are such fools! More options are always a terrible thing and of course everyone has the exact same bike requirements as you so nothing else needs to be available.

SamSkjord - 05/30/14 - 1:33pm

@scott “Still set on a 1x drivetrain? That’s fine – simply ditch the front derailleur and run a single Firebolt shifter and rear derailleur.”

Yep that definitely says mechanical XTR only, oh wait…

Slow Joe Crow - 05/30/14 - 1:45pm

Very interesting, especially for my wife who has had issues with front shifting but way too expensive right now. I eagerly await an XT or better yet an SLX Di2 2×10 with sequential shifting.

stampers - 05/30/14 - 1:47pm

It’s obviously for the racers and the 1%’ers right now but it looks like shimano has just about every mtb need met… looking forward to a test drive soon.

Larry Falk - 05/30/14 - 1:48pm

I’d be very happy to have Synchronized Shifting on my loaded touring bike.

TOm - 05/30/14 - 1:58pm

that rear derailleur gives me wood – so much cooler looking than the road equivalents. makes me wish I could put a XTR rear derailleur on my road bike instead of DA

Dr. Sartorious - 05/30/14 - 2:00pm

Dear Bikerumor Forum Moderator,

Instantly delete any negative comments about the new XTR Di2 gruppo.

Any naysayers are either, a) artisanal hipsters, or b) broke.

DocBot - 05/30/14 - 2:01pm

I predict this will be adopted in great numbers by tandems. (Well, there are not great numbers of tandems, but XTR Di2 M9050 will become very popular in this small segment of the cycling world.)

satisFACTORYrider - 05/30/14 - 2:02pm

forget this. work on a gearbox.

nsp234 - 05/30/14 - 2:17pm

Interesting!

I have a feeling that the MTB guys won’t welcome electronic stuff as openly as the roadies, I expect it to catch on a bit slower – excited to see what happens.

What is striking about the shifting graph is how few combinations actually need the small ring.
With just two or three gears I hope we’re not too far away from a 1x system that will offer the same range as todays 2x setups…

I’d love to try the syncro shift thing. It really needs to work well to be of any use. Front shifting can be critical, and if you’re unaware that it’ll happen. But this also means that it will be even more astonishing if it really works and you just dont have to bother.

Matt - 05/30/14 - 2:53pm

I am not sure why there is any negativity at all for this. If you are not into it, that is cool and Shimano has a solution for you. If you are into it and can afford it, then you will have sweet shifting under load, like their road system. If you are into it and can’t afford, be rest assured it will come in cheaper in an XT package within 1 – 2 years.

This is awesome technology progression – oh and those talking about the downside of charging a batter, on my road bike I only have to charge 2 – 3 times a year.

Maybe the only downside is, by the time I buy this, they will be on the verge of coming out with a wireless groupo.

greshkov - 05/30/14 - 3:35pm

di2 makes your bike susceptible to skynet, so you can count me out based on my paranoia of 1980′s based apocalyptic robot movies being real.

Gillis - 05/30/14 - 3:46pm

Questions:
1) can you buy a single shifter?
2) do you have to install the screen?
3) can you make it work with 10spd? (in theory you should be able to hack to work with anything)

df - 05/30/14 - 3:55pm

Can it play angrybirds?

Matt - 05/30/14 - 4:43pm

@Gillis, I too want to know if you have to install the screen. I see no reason to have it.

I think the answer to your other questions are both yes and yes.

K11 - 05/30/14 - 5:05pm

@wheel-addict. agree. i also do well in the digital/systems sector of business and industry, my biking and snwboarding is my away time from such things. Di2 is slick and does work extremely well, just a personal preference to keep it digital free.

@dr sartorious. my shop owner buddy has a love/hate relationship with “folks” like you.
a)loves your money b)hates any type of interaction with you, but pretends to be your pal, all the while doing an excellent job on your gear, regardless of who you are as a person.

Ed - 05/30/14 - 5:34pm

About time. I have it on my road bike, I am ready for my mountian bike.
Let me know when it’s available

Dylan - 05/30/14 - 6:12pm

I love this. It reminds me of when index shifting was introduced. There was lots of resistance at first but the self-evident benefits were overwhelming. I know Grant Peterson would hate this but this is the future. Looking forward to wireless.

MissedThePoint - 05/30/14 - 6:51pm

Things made better with computer/electronics that I’ve recently used:

Camera
Clock
Rice Cooker
Fan/AC/Thermostat
Music player
Microwave
Sprinkler system
Phone
Map/compass (navigation system)
Typewriter, or whatever else is used to post this comment…

Heck, I was looking at a toaster with a microchip on it the other day.

This opens new doors. Electronics in suspension (damping control and sensors to make it automatic) sounds good to me too. What’s holding up that Lefty Simon?

Still wish Shimano would embrace 1x more fully.

Marcassin - 05/30/14 - 6:51pm

@Dylan

I disagree, index shifting was a great improvement for rear dérailleur and it was about the same weight.

I don’t see any benefits to Di2 technology and I’m a bike mechanic. I’m more than pleased to use it on frames with a bad internal cable routing -Trek madone is one of them- but to me that’s the only benefit. I tried it on my road bike for few months, then I ended up buying a mechanical Chorus 11sp.

We shift a lot more on a mtb, therefore I suppose we know how to shift properly. Like many I’m using dérailleurs for 25 years now and I’m used to it. It’s no rocket science to shift properly but for some it’s harder and for others they are all about gaining some tenth of a sec for racing.

For 350€ I’ll buy a XT groupset, for more I’ll buy a XX1 like most of my customers. I’m not against electronic -I’ve sold a couple or Lapierre’s with Ei shocks because I’ve tried and I believe it could be the future of suspension.

rod mai - 05/30/14 - 7:54pm

@samSkjord, @nunyab thanks, but my point was more development should be focused on internal drivetrains.

Jpalms - 05/30/14 - 8:05pm

How long until I can buy it online at wholesale price shimano?

Jeb - 05/30/14 - 8:18pm

People are missing the point. Electric has brought the front Derailleur back into the game on MTB’s. Anyone who has ridden Di2 road knows that its front shifting is frickin amazing. Seamless up and down shifting under power. Couple that with the programing aspect and you basically have a sequential gearbox. If weight is comparable to XX1 this will be a game changer.

lukee - 05/30/14 - 9:11pm

This is awesome. I own some of the syncroshift stuff from france. That stuff was awesome, I wondered why they disappeared until I heard that Shimano bought them. I never had a chance to buy the top of the line machined alloy shifter just the 9spd and 8spd mid range systems. It shifted the front and rear together with cables…di2 sounds much simpler, so I am on board 100%. Why do 1×11 when 2×11 does the work for you….or even 3×11. AWESOME!!!!!

Tim - 05/30/14 - 9:50pm

Can someone clarify- can I dump a load of gears with this system, for example if I come around a turn and am facing a steep uphill?

MarkV - 05/30/14 - 10:38pm

Welcome to the rebirth and future of the lonely front derailleur, when it works this amazing…why remove it!

It took me a while to warm up to road cx Di2, but it is as good as shifting gets, period, no lie.

This new XTR Di2 introduction just dropped a bomb on the mountain bike world, shifting just became amazing, easy and tunable and….yes….expensive. XT Di2 will open this up to more people when it trickles down in the near future. Nice job Shimano and I’m sure SRAM just hired a couple more top experts in this field to plan a similar assault on electronic shifting.

I’m selling my soul for XTR Di2!!!! ;-)

k - 05/30/14 - 11:49pm

1×11 electronic xtr please. 2x is a failure for anything but racer d00dz

Mike - 05/31/14 - 2:02am

2x is ideal for the terrain I ride. I do have some concerns about the chain skating over the front and back teeth at the same time if the bike is experiencing non-vertical (cornering, slalom) forces. Hopefully the new chainring ramps and grooves are enough to keep it on. A test ride of this Synchronized Shift system is in order.

Shimano doesn’t still do their Yumeya stuff, do they? Gold would really clash with this new XTR color.

Pasabaporaquí - 05/31/14 - 3:36am

I still can’t believe what the problem with front derailleurs and more than one ring…
1 is enough? Sure, as 50mm suspension travel would be, but 100mm is better, just in case.
I’m running a 3×10 drivetrain, and using the three front rings(the 24 almost nothing,but it’s there when things get really steep).
One ring is enough? Sure, but for real MTB, give me at least one more.

nariman - 05/31/14 - 6:09am

3*10 electronic xtr please !
its bike not computer but i think its amazing and good like super cars !

SamSkjord - 05/31/14 - 6:09am

@Tim Yep, you can set it pretty much however you want, short press changes one gear, long press changes 2-3-4-the whole range of the cassette

fraser - 05/31/14 - 9:02am

Oh lord! And I thought roadies would be conservative…

Mounties ride full-suspension bikes with dozens of ball bearing tucked their bikes, frames with >120mm travel and (a lot of them) single armed forks that need a checkup at a professional shop every 800miles. They use GPS systems to avoid getting lost in the woods (and will if it runs out of power) and now shimano comes up with Di2 System (a system used by roadies since 2008) and now they are all doomed and tell everyone that biking for them is all about simplicity and stuff…

If you don’t want it, don’t buy it. Its that simple.

lukee - 05/31/14 - 11:54am

@fraser—-you made my day. I know exactly what your talking about.

I experienced this today on the trail, I mentioned the new di2 xtr and one of my buddies who bought a new carbon specialized 29er with kashima coat suspension started complaining about di2. He just rebuilt his shocks and frame (frame creaked like a old man) last week after 500 miles of riding, but no one can tell him that it wasn’t worth it. But di2 on mountain bike, what a maintenance nightmare that will be.

pdpdpd - 05/31/14 - 12:51pm

Oh look, my comment is gone.
Pffft

K11 - 05/31/14 - 1:03pm

@fraser. my di2 stance is not about “simplicity and stuff…” as you put it. And i think others are expressing a similar idea.

There is a difference between reading and comprehending what you are reading, but the later seems to be “complicated and stuff…” for some.

crank - 05/31/14 - 4:49pm

As the owner of road bikes with 7970 Di2, 9070 Di2, 7800 DA and mtbs with a Rohloff hub, 1×10 XT, 3×9 SRAM X0, 2×10 XTR, SS and a Pinion gearbox I think the ultimate set up would be a lighter Pinion style gearbox with electronic shifting.

I think the Di2 XTR system is a great step forward but a good gearbox is better than a great derailleur system.

Jon Palmer - 06/01/14 - 1:11pm

When is the hover board coming out?

LanceA - 06/02/14 - 2:39pm

meh… nothing new in bikes… come on bike engineers you can do better. Remember if its not broken it doesn’t have enough features.

Johny lee - 06/02/14 - 6:42pm

I am a Sran XX1 user, and durace Di2 user too, its posible that the XTR grupo would be compatible with Sram XX1 crankset and cassette? Becouse if this can be compatible si many users for Sram will Turn to shimano

Ronin - 06/04/14 - 5:59am

Electronic or not – It’s not really an issue is it? Do what you like, end of.

I’ve just upgraded my main road bike to 6870 Di2. I had issues with the battery mount. It didn’t speak to the rest of the system because it’s firmware was older. I felt that ‘What was I thinking moment’ – but I’m past that now. Shifting is great*. Battery charging – not an issue. I have a hardtail MTB, I’ll probably buy another road bike (non Di2) at some point when I clear the space from the garage. It’s all good.

* – One thing I did notice, i had Ultegra chain rings in 53/39 and 50/34. The 53/39 front shift is better. looking at the ramps on the chain set, they are better (6 vs 4) on the 53/39. Perhaps there is too much of a jump on 50/34. I’ll try and find a 36 and get rid of the 34 and see if that makes a difference. Perhaps these chain rings should be designed for electronic shifting with more ramps now so there are more pick up points now.

how many speeds is it? - 06/04/14 - 1:10pm

Surprised no one has noted that for a 2×11 (22 total speeds) there’s only 13 total speeds in the shift map each way, and for 3×11 (33 total speeds), only 15 in the shift map… Yes, this is more than the 11 speeds of a 1×11 setup. But not as many more gears as it might appear on the surface… So much attention given to total number of speeds, but far less talk of UNIQUE speeds or gear overlap….

Bottom line, it’s really apples and oranges. I welcome both 1×11 mechanical and Di2 to MTB — the cost differential is gonna be huge between the two. So reconcile your wanter and your wallet, and find what’s best for you!

One thing I know — more choice to build your bike for your use/fitness/terrain is AWESOME! Thank you Sram AND Shimano in this regard.

matt - 06/05/14 - 6:48pm

I heard Google has a self-riding mountain bike in the pipes. Soon we’ll be able to text while mountain biking and no one will get hurt!

Peter Karlsson - 06/11/14 - 12:24pm

I’m since long an eager experimenter with bike drivetrains, and I currently want to build a Di2 11×1 with an Osymetric front (since they shift so crappy) for my road and tempo bikes. I’m using a x1 front Osymetric on my MTB now that’s absolutely brilliant – the Osymetric front ring makes the narrower gear span of a 1x system more tolerable, since a wider cadence range is usable for real power with oval chainrings, in my opinion. Simple, clean, light and beautiful.

Now I’m eager to build Di2 11×1 for road racing and tempo. Seeing the XTR 11-speed cassette is 11-40, that’s more than enough for the current 56t Osym front on my tempo rig, and the 52t Osym on my road race steed. I really want to drop those small front rings – and not dropping the chain with double Osym rings.

Seeing the XTR 11 cassette will not need a hub replacement to fit, and I probably don’t need a long cage since there’s only one front ring, I plan on using only a long B-screw with a short or medium cage Ultegra Di2. But I can’t fint info about cog spacing on the XTR 11-speed versus Ultegra/Dura-Ace road 11-speed cog spacing; are they the same? In that case I’ll try it and report. Otherwise, I do know that the XTR rear derailleur will work with Ultegra road/tempo shifters, but I want to avoid the cost, weight and bulk of the XTR rear mech.

As an alternative, if cog spacing on XTR and Ultegra 11-speed are different; can individual rear mech positions be adjusted with the Di2 system? That is, different adjustments for each rear cog? In that case, it might be possible to micro-adjust each gear to make the whole gear range work, even if spacing is different.

Thankful of any pointers or answers.