Tune Spurtreu Perfectly Aligns Handlebars to Your Front Wheel – with Lasers!

Tune Spurtrue laser alignment for bicycle handlebars and front wheels

Need that one trick tool that no else is gonna have? And one that solves an incredibly frustrating problem at that? The new Tune Spurtreu puts a laser pointer in a CNC’d alloy base that’s shaped to center itself over your stem and handlebars, putting a dot at the center of the tire.

The visual aid lets you get things perfectly centered so long as your wheel’s dish center’s the tire in the fork. And all for just €69 ($100USD at Fair Wheel Bikes). The name roughly means “tracks true”, which is exactly what you should be when laser red stars are aligned.

tune-spurtreu-handlebar-front-wheel-laser-alignment-tool2

Comments

Lodz - 05/27/14 - 2:56pm

A wonder no one had thought of it before! Really handy for shops.

goridebikes - 05/27/14 - 2:58pm

unsure if amazing or excessive or trolling

Felix - 05/27/14 - 2:58pm

Great idea, can’t be too hard to make one DIY-style for a few bucks.

sambo - 05/27/14 - 3:14pm

does the bar or stem size matter?

ebaumann - 05/27/14 - 3:16pm

FINALLY

Frank - 05/27/14 - 3:21pm

Awesome! but $100?!??

I’m pretty sure I could make one myself with a $6 laser pen and a scrap piece of 2×4.

brattercakes - 05/27/14 - 3:28pm

Great idea, but that price… no.

RM2Ride - 05/27/14 - 3:41pm

Uh, haven’t we all survived quite nicely with the “eyeball it and adjust it” approach up until now?

A (one hundred dollar) solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist.

ebaumann - 05/27/14 - 3:44pm

hey folks, please keep in mind that this is being produced by a company that also sells a $240 carbon coffee mug…its safe to say they aren’t really looking to sell to the “eyeball it and adjust it” crowd on this one…

MB - 05/27/14 - 3:44pm

I’m more interested in the bike in the picture.

gr - 05/27/14 - 3:48pm

this doesn’t resolve the issue of relying on the user to ‘eyeball’ the centering of the stem over the wheel. This tool simply places a laser dot on the tire which the user must then ‘eyeball’ in order center the stem.

Kurt the Mechanic - 05/27/14 - 3:51pm

I have been a bike mechanic for years and I still get frustrated trying to align stems. I think my face is crooked. I will buy this tool to make my life easier.

Joe Bieniecki - 05/27/14 - 3:55pm

gr is correct a better version of this would sit on the top tube and square off the down tube to project a line that could be used to center the stem and the bars to the centerline of the frame

Dave B - 05/27/14 - 3:57pm

The V-notch over the stem and the arches over the handlebars should assure the bracket is at a 90° angle and centered and make it tolerant of a variety of handlebar clamp diameters.

It’s a clever tool but, at $100, not for me. A shop mechanic could use it to both speed set up and alignment and have an objective demonstration of centering for customers who complain their bars/stem are off-center.

JoeNomad - 05/27/14 - 4:00pm

@MB, I believe that is a Litespeed head tube badge.

Alex - 05/27/14 - 4:06pm

They should have used two lasers. That would make it useful. Actually I think you can just make a DIY version for much cheaper with some lasers from ebay.

Matthew - 05/27/14 - 4:57pm

Dave B hits the nail on the head. I’ve seen the customer who returned to my LBS complaining about misalignment of her stem for three or four passes. The alignment was fine, but she probably chewed up more than the amount of time equalling $100 of labor until she stopped complaining. Plus, there’s the chance that she’s (falsely) assuming the problem is with the Wrench, not her cross-eyed alignment check. Doesn’t matter though; she’s telling anyone who will listen how terrible the mechanics at the LBS are and how they should take their business elsewhere.

I view this kind of tool in the same realm as the headset tube reamer/facer. Most of us don’t need it, but those of us who ream a headtube more than once every two or three years do can’t live without it.

Psi Squared - 05/27/14 - 4:58pm

A line generator wouldn’t improve this, except in the case where the line generator also helped align the saddle. The line generator would have to sit above the saddle and stem and would have to have a field of view that included the tire. That’s a lot more complicated than this simple set up.

While the setup does require that you eyeball the laser spot with respect to the center of the tire, it will have much less parallax error than eyeballing the stem to the center of the tire. As mentioned by Dave B, the v-notch coupled with the arches over the handlebar assure alignment on the vast majority of stems and handlebars. High aspect ratio handlebars might cause problems, but it’s not like those handlebars dominate LBS sales and service.

All in all, it’s a pretty cool device. Sure it’s not necessary, but it’s useful and has a laser. The world can always use more lasers.

Robbo - 05/27/14 - 5:00pm

Nice (if expensive) bit of for road bikes. Can foresee problems using it on new-fashioned short n’ stumpy Enduro (trademark) stems, though. And yes, if your wheel is crooked in the dropouts, it’s a moot point anyway.

Ripnshread - 05/27/14 - 5:17pm

This and a Park Tool 1554-1 would make things perfect.

anonymous - 05/27/14 - 5:23pm

Here’s a tip I picked up from somewhere.

Find something big and flat, like a nice flat section of floor.

Put the frame down on the floor so the fork dropouts and the front of the drop bars are touching the ground.

When all 4 points are in contact, tighten the stem,

Nony B. - 05/27/14 - 5:46pm

I use a simple and cheap spirit level from a hardware store and it does the job just fine.

Troy - 05/27/14 - 6:15pm

I have a great technique to solve this problem: I align the stem with the front wheel using my eyes. Works great!

Mike - 05/27/14 - 6:39pm

I’m going to buy this so I can laugh at myself.

Mindless - 05/27/14 - 6:45pm

I do have a laser level for house construction projects. It will be trivial to adapt by just bolting it overhead, so it generates a nice straight line – to set stem saddle, etc.

But I can not imagine it making any appreciable difference over just setting it like I have always done it. Even when visibly misaligned, it still rides OK enough…

Xris - 05/27/14 - 7:15pm

I thought of that first, damn.

Bikeco - 05/27/14 - 7:28pm

Or how about a plum line?

old guy - 05/27/14 - 7:29pm

I once had a customer at an LBS that complained that I couldn’t properly align her stem. After a couple of failed attempts, I loosened the stem bolts, and had her align the stem to her satisfaction. Worked like a charm. She came back to the shop many times after that.

ginsu - 05/27/14 - 7:43pm

$100 could get me a shark with friggin’ laser beams…that’s ridiculous. It doesn’t have to be CNC’d, and the laser pen is what $5 at most? Also, this would be much more useful if it threw out a laser line like those tools at Home Depot.

Maybe at a shop you could show that off to gullible customers, but really not for any self-respecting home mechanic in the real world. I’m just going to use my laser pen and align it with the bolts on my stem, like I do to check my chainline.

shawn small - 05/27/14 - 8:37pm

It would be fun/easy to develop a 3d print file for this.

Guy - 05/27/14 - 8:38pm

I could be wrong but one dot does not make a line. A laser line along the tire might help this a little. The price wouldn’t be horrible if the product could ensure that your alignment is perfect.

greg - 05/27/14 - 9:22pm

one would be amazed at the number of stems that dont mount the handlebar square with the extension. bar can be slightly fore/aft or slightly high/low. the high/low part would throw off this laser quite a bit, but then again if you have one of those stems you have bigger alignment problems…

Jason - 05/27/14 - 10:18pm

i use a tile square laser level, about $40…

Champs - 05/27/14 - 11:21pm

FINALLY a solution to this silent killer. The world has been waiting for more sophisticated technology to eyeball handlebar alignment.

Laugh if you want, but did you know that more people die from misaligned bars than cancer and heart disease combined? Have you never lost a loved one due to the bars being as much as a centimeter off in reach from one end to the other? The answer to these questions (and many others, related or otherwise) is no. But does not knowing these things make them untrue?

Nash - 05/28/14 - 4:56am

A piece of string works better than this, line the stem up with the wheel while keeping the string tight and use the eye. KISS

notapro - 05/28/14 - 7:59am

The human brain is a mystery.

WannaBeSTi - 05/28/14 - 8:41am

I like the tool. I think it would be helpful to many people/ shops. And not just as a gimmick. $100 seems steep, but most really good tools are expensive… Shimano SIS cable cutter MSRP’s for $85, Rock Shox 24mm cone wrench $35, Campag 11s Chain tool $250…

In my shop, I “think” I have the straightest eye for aligning a stem. I’ve have asked 4 other mechanics what they thought after I aligned a stem and got 3 different answers.

My conclusion, straightness is in the eye of the beholder. A laser could shut a lotta people up.

quickgeezer - 05/28/14 - 9:42am

I agree that straightness is [mostly] in the eye of the beholder, once you get it reasonably, approximately straight; I don’t think this overbuilt and overpriced tool changes that. And, if your stem is 1º, 2º, 3º misaligned in relation to your wheel … what difference in riding does that actually make for 99% of us? $100? Unh-uh.

Chris Balser - 05/28/14 - 9:54am

I hold the US patent for this tool

Matt - 05/28/14 - 5:01pm

I am going to buy this and then buy another tool to make sure this tool is aligned properly on the handlebars/stem.

broken - 05/29/14 - 4:37pm

I broke my collarbone once, so i run my stem crooked so it feels straight

Ajax - 05/30/14 - 4:49pm

I like this, but $100 is a ripoff!