First Look: All-New Shimano XTR M9000 – 1x, 2x and 3x 11-Speed MTB Groups

XTR M9000 Race001

Chances are good most of you don’t all have the same riding style. Some of you probably ride for a physical challenge while others ride for a technical challenge. Some for both. Some of you have specialty bikes devoted to one specific type of riding, while others a quiver of one that’s as versatile as possible.

The point is, when Shimano set out to create the next version of XTR, they didn’t feel that one drivetrain system would fit all riders. Calling on their 22 years of experience in making things shift, Shimano has introduced a new XTR M9000 group to be as versatile and capable as the riders it’s built for.

Those looking for an answer to the 1x trend will happily find it with 9000. And those looking for one of the widest range triples in history will find it as well. Details after the break…

Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (19)

At the heart of Shimano’s M9000 and M9020 groups is the concept of rhythm and range. One can easily see that Shimano’s 1x system doesn’t have the spread of their competitor;s wide range cassette, but in typical Shimano fashion the M9000 is all about system engineering and producing the most efficient drivetrain possible. Everyone wants to know about the 1x option of the new XTR so we’ll start with the new HG-X11 11-40 cassette.

Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (31)

No, there are no 10t or 42t cogs, but one of the main benefits of the cassettes is that it fits on standard Shimano freehub bodies without any new parts. Where their 11-speed road groups required a slightly wider freehub body, Shimano was able to squeeze 11 mountain bike gears into the space of 10 without making the gears any narrower thanks to the larger low cogs. Unlike a road cassette, the big cogs can be dished around the spokes since they sit out farther, so the freehub body and the hub spacing remain the same.

Tooth counts are 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-27-31-35-40, skipping two, then three, then four and finally a five count. Shimano calls it Rhythm Step gearing, and the idea is that you are able to save energy by staying in control of cadence and effort because of the closer steps in gearing. With the new cassette a single shift is a cadence adjustment of about 10 rpm, a double shift is a 20 rpm change which represents a terrain change, and a triple shift is about a 30 rpm difference for a reactionary or emergency shift.

HG-X11 cassettes use a multi-spider structure with two clusters built on a carbon spider and two clusters with aluminum spiders. There are six titanium, one aluminum, and four steel cogs. Weight is claimed at 330g.

Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (25)

So why not offer the range of XX1 for the XTR 1x? With the improvements to XTR, Shimano feels that if you need more range than the 1x system you are better off with the new Trail 2x crank which offers drastically improved performance, especially from the front derailleur.

The Hollow Tech II crank uses a 1x specific Hollow Glide chainring with titanium teeth. Cranks will be offered in a 560g M9000-1 Race version and a 590g M9020-1 Trail version each with 30, 32, 34, and 36t chainring options. When Shimano set out to build a 1x crank it had to be longer wearing, and offer exceptional driving stiffness while still preventing chain drop.

An interesting design feature of all of the XTR cranks is the modular chainring construction which allows 1x, 2x, or 3x on the same crank. 1x cranks will be sold as crank arms only with chainrings sold separately, while the trail double will be sold as 38/28, 36/26, or 34/24. Doubles will be offered in the 158mm q-factor m9000 crank which weighs 620g, and the 168mm q-factor m9020 crank at 645g. Trail doubles use the Hollow Glide chainring technology for the driving gear (big ring) and an aluminum granny gear.

Think of the most frequent gears you go to on your cassette. Shimano calls these the Driving Range. The new 2x system is designed to get you out of “granny gear jail” meaning that once you shift down to the granny gear you aren’t stuck there for the rest of the climb. There will also be a compact triple offered in the 11 speed group with a 22-30-40t gearing. Combined with the 40t cassette, the 22t will offer the “lowest gear in history of mountain biking ever.” The m9020-3 will weigh in around 655g.

Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (21)

The new Hollow pin HG-X11 chain is an asymmetric plate design for improved shifting front and rear that uses Sil-tec coated plates and rollers. The Sil-Tec coating uses embedded fluorine particles to reduce friction and improve lubrication properties. Claimed weight is 245g.

Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (36)

At first glance the new 1x specific chainrings don’t look like 1x specific rings, but it’s all in the details. Rather than using a narrow-wide design made popular by many manufacturers, Shimano created teeth that are wider and taller than the standard tooth and also includes a hook to the front, all of which helps keep the chain in check. Shimano claims the system is good for complete chain retention without a guide in 99% of riding.

The other interesting part about the chainrings is that they are a three part design utilizing carbon, aluminum and titanium. The driving gears are titanium for long wearing instead of a hard anodized aluminum which should keep the gears running longer. Each part of the structure works together to make an extremely stiff chainring for 1x efficiency.

Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (22)

Of course no modern drivetrain would be complete without a clutched derailleur and the RD-M9000 steps in where the previous derailleur left off.

Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (20)

Still building on the Shadow Plus design, the derailleur has new geometry that reduces shift effort and an offset parallelogram that improves rear derailleur stability and shifting accuracy. An offset top pulley brings the chain further down as it goes up the cassette, adding clearance off the larger cogs to ensure easy shifting.

This wasn’t something Shimano was really advertising, but apparently this XTR rear derailleur is 30mm narrower from the outside of the bike compared to the competition.

Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (30) Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (29)

The on/off switch for the clutch mechanism is functionally the same, but it looks a bit different and has a new adjustment trick up its sleeve. While the previous Shadow+ derailleurs had a clutch tension adjust, you had to remove the cover and fiddle with the derailleur to make the change. Now the derailleur features an allen key adjustment that is covered with a protective cap so you can easily make the clutch tension higher or lower depending on your use. The XTR RD-M9000 will be sold in GS (mid cage) and SGS (long cage) versions.

Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (32)

Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (23) Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (24)

One of the reasons for going 1x has always been to ditch the front derailleur because they can be hard to adjust, are affected by suspension travel, and can limit tire clearance. Enter Side Swing. Rather than having the bulk of the derailleur behind the cage, it now sits above it which drastically improves tire clearance. The derailleur also uses a front mount cable which provides a much cleaner entry to the derailleur from the downtube. Side Swing derailleurs will work with all four of the previous derailleur mounting standards – D type, E type, High clamp, and Low clamp depending on the frame. Weight on the new derailleur? Just 100g.

Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (34)

Shimano XTR m9000 11 speed 1x 2x  3x (26)

Finally, everything is controlled by the new Rapid Fire Plus shifters. Packed with Shimano features like Vivid Index for feel, and multi-release for dropping more than one gear, the shifters use a new lever geometry which is longer to offer more leverage for today’s clutch equipped derailleurs. The levers are also carbon and feature textured surfaces for grip. At 100g per shifter, M9000 may make you rethink taking that front shifter off your bike. Shift effort is reduced by 20 percent and will be compatible with the new i-spec II mounting system.

New wheels and brakes posting separately.

Bike.Shimano.com

Comments

Pasabaporaquí - 04/11/14 - 11:10am

Oh my!
I recently went to 10sp, and with this I’ll be outdated again…
On a serious note, this is the ugliest XTR ever. No doubt it will work better than anything before, but from an aesthetics point of view, it’s awful.
This groupset has gone down with each incarnation, from the gorgeous 1992 version to this.
Come on Shimano! Your groupsets are awesome, make them pretty as well ;)

Henry - 04/11/14 - 11:14am

I think the finish on those cranks looks awesome!

K11 - 04/11/14 - 11:14am

shimano seems to be slowly adding composites/carbon to their products. i prefer the current xtr crank looks over the new. the crank has a middleburn look.

João - 04/11/14 - 11:15am

Congratulations, but i must tell that first SRAM build and then SHIMANO copies ;)

Quinn - 04/11/14 - 11:16am

WTF Shimano??? a 33 speed drivetrain with an 11-36 cassette and and 2/3-speed crank ratios that make NO sense to me.

Mark @ GRAVELBIKE - 04/11/14 - 11:24am

Are the rear shifty bits compatible with Shimano’s 11-speed road shifters?

drewandnotu - 04/11/14 - 11:25am

It really seems like they’ve gone to great lengths to avoid acknowledging that SRAM got it right. They can talk all day about ratios and numbers and tech but at the end of the day who wants this? Clearly riders want 1X drivetrains, and they don’t even have a short cage derailleur option? I honestly prefer the feel of shimano shifters, and I prefer their 10 speed chains and cassettes over SRAMs, but if this is what’s going to trickle down to XT I don’t see any reason to ditch my X01 setup (which I LOVE).

Dustin - 04/11/14 - 11:35am

I’m a Shimano guy at heart, but this is not going to get me to give up my XX1.

Flash - 04/11/14 - 11:38am

Now give the 1×10. That’s what I’m waiting for. 11-40 would be fine thank you.

Dustin - 04/11/14 - 11:39am

Shimano seems to have come out with the ultimate 2X solution at a time when many are finding ways to go 1×11. And for going 1×11, SRAM clearly figured out a better way. If SRAM would only come out with a X9 equivalent version of the 1×11 system they’d rule the market. It’s the cost holding most back at this point, as seen in the proliferation of the Wolftooth-type 42t cog solutions.

This is all coming from a guy who has traditionally been a shimano guy and SRAM hater.

pmurf - 04/11/14 - 11:42am

Super random idea amidst all the discussion, but with remote lockouts and dropper posts abound, would it be beneficial to have a 3rd paddle on the rear shifter to remotely engage and disengage the clutch function? I’ve never used a clutch derailleur, and don’t know how often you really need to switch it on or off, but seems like it would be annoying to have to get off the bike to do it. Thoughts?

Jimmy John's - 04/11/14 - 11:46am

{auto bike forum response script}

I’m sticking with my {insert pre-1989 gruppo name} components on my {insert old-a** bike brand}, which still works after {current year – 38 years} years.

Can’t believe these {insert profanity} bike companies keep coming out with new stuff when the old stuff works just fine. My original bike cost only {insert pre-inflation adjusted original price} back in {current year – 38 years}. I was at {insert LBS name} the other day and I saw a bike that cost {insert pre-inflation adjusted original price * 20}! Who’s going to pay that much? I can buy a {insert car or motorcycle} for that much money!

{end script}

KitKat - 04/11/14 - 11:48am

I agree the look is not very cool. I like the idea that the cassette actually fits everything that’s already out there without the need for a proprietary driver body (WTF?) Interesting FD design, very different approach. Cable routing from under the BB will be difficult and twisty. Shimano vs SRAM on shifting is stiff a matter of preference (even though I’m a Shimano guy), but the brakes are the most impressive parts. Fiddle with SRAM on a drivetrain-Aok. Brakes=only Shimano.

Bono - 04/11/14 - 11:48am

First head over to singletrackworld.com for the videos – amazing. it seems Shimano have really engineered this group set to enhance current bike design allowing shortening chain stays and the fact this can fit on current hubs (as far as I currently understand it)

this for me is better than SRAM x1, if you’re into cycling really steep sections x1 upfront isn’t for all of us! yes shout ‘you’re weak’ but I can clear sections most people mostly walk up. cycling isn’t always about going down hill fast sometimes getting over that gut busting aching steep section is important and rewarding. We all can’t be animals and world cup level athletes

when this technology (front dérailleur in particular) trickles down as it assuredly will – it’s going to have benefits for lots of folk

Tyler - 04/11/14 - 11:51am

@pmurf You only need to disengage the clutch on the rear derailleur to remove the wheel, otherwise leave it on at all times.

JasonK - 04/11/14 - 11:52am

Pmurf: I have an XT derailleur with a clutch. The only time I disengage the clutch is to remove the rear wheel. Since I rarely remove the rear wheel while riding, I don’t mind getting off the bike to grow the clutch disengagement lever.

Under what conditions would you want to disengage the clutch on the fly?

JasonK - 04/11/14 - 11:53am

Grow=throw in my post above. Also, Tyler beat me to it.

greg - 04/11/14 - 11:53am

it doesnt take a crystal ball to see that this is going to blow sram out of the water. 100g front derailleur? super-long wearing titanium teeth on their 1x chainring? externally adjustable clutch? unlike sram, shimano doesnt force you to go 1x if you want the latest and greatest.

Jez - 04/11/14 - 11:57am

@pmurf the clutch stays on all the time when riding. Only comes off when working on bike to make it easier to move. No remote needed.

Offrhodes - 04/11/14 - 12:02pm

Can they make a 10spd cassette with that 40t?

Alex - 04/11/14 - 12:02pm

Overall this is a fail.
But the cassette fits a standard 10spd freehub body so I could run a 28t chainring and this 11-40 cassette and have roughly the same gearing as my 30t w/ 11-42t but with Shimano crispness. For the price of a cassette, shifter and chain.
I don’t get what they’re doing with the crank and front derailleur.

J Train - 04/11/14 - 12:07pm

@pmurf There isn’t really any good reason to disengage a clutch, in my humble opinion. That’s one of several areas where SRAM got it right, especially with the cage lock mechanism.

Wow, I was beginning to think that Shimano was now invincible with all of their new road group successes, but this release clearly demonstrates the ebb and flow of manufacturer dominance. @drewandnotu hit the nail on the head: They won’t acknowledge that the 1×11 drivetrain is fantastic and riders are loving it. I think this group is too far removed from current rider needs and wants. I mean, seriously, who needs a 22t-40t combination? I mean, a strong gust of wind could turn that ratio up a climb. Also, the FD and crankset is atrocious.

Andy - 04/11/14 - 12:13pm

Definitely gonna have to wait and see if the chainrings actually work. I doubt they will work as well as narrow-wide ones do, but we’ll see. Sure seems like they’re being stubborn about not needing it.

David R. - 04/11/14 - 12:15pm

I have had problems with 2 XT clutch RDs dropping the chain off the lower pilot wheel and jamming it against the cage. Happened during a race and by the time I finished, the chain had cut through the cage. Shimano replaced the RD, and now I leave the clutch in the off position almost all the time.

groghunter - 04/11/14 - 12:19pm

“Those looking for an answer to the 1x trend will happily find it with 9000.” No. They won’t.

Burnt Orange - 04/11/14 - 12:25pm

all I want to know is if the cog spacing is the same as sram xx1
might make a good training cassette , hope they come out with an xt version

Sardinian Rider - 04/11/14 - 12:27pm

agree with @greg.

It all sound complicated by reading it but I’m sure unlike Sram this stuff will be a set it and forget it deal. I love Shimano.

gerald t. - 04/11/14 - 12:28pm

i don’t think they could have made that crank any uglier. it looks like they trickled up styling cues from acera.

Aaron - 04/11/14 - 12:29pm

I really, really don’t like those cranks.

Everything else I’m sure is flawless in typical Shimano fashion. I personally have no need for a 10-42T cassette cause I’m not a giant weenie. Closer ratios are preferred, at least to me.

jen - 04/11/14 - 12:30pm

I still cant figure out what is wrong with the front mech and why people want to get rid of it, maybe the really problem is bolding real ale drinkers that cant change gear properly.

jls - 04/11/14 - 12:56pm

“22 years experience”?

Damien - 04/11/14 - 12:59pm

What a huge disappointment. The rear derailleur and the crank are some of the ugliest, cheapest looking product I’ve ever seen Shimano make, especially for an XTR level group. As my coworker states, the rear derailleur is using trickle up product design from a Deore.

As a shop salesperson, we have sold ONE! high-end bike mountain bike using XT in the last 7 months. Everything else has been either XX1 or XO1. Your results may vary, but for the riding in our locale, a 1X setup is the best setup to run, with the exception of those who race cross country. And our customers feel the same way.

As a user of both current XTR and now XO1, I will never go back to a front derailleur, ever!

As the Interneters says, Fail!

BT - 04/11/14 - 1:01pm

The crank reminds of a cheap hubcap…aesthetics aside, it looks to be pretty cool. Can’t wait to see it trickle down to XT/SLX level.

MikeC - 04/11/14 - 1:02pm

Last year this time, when Shimano reps were asked, “When is the answer to XX1 coming?” the answer was, “Never, we don’t think 1×11 is a good setup.”

And then here we are today…

Good on Shimano for making the 11sp cass work on 10sp freehubs.

I wonder if anyone who was tempted to go with one of the aftermarket 40 or 42 t cogs for their 10sp setup will reconsider now that this is out and make the switch to 11sp…

jorge - 04/11/14 - 1:03pm

Kind of a ‘meh’ move from Shimano. I expected something that would REALLY blow sram out of the water!

This is what I would do: Because you can run the cassette with your standard FG cassette body, I would use the new cassette (11-40t), new RD, new shifter and chain and just run the awesome Raceface Next SL cranks at the front and use one of Raceface’s sweet wide/narrow 30t integrated sprockets. Done deal, 1×11+Shimano’s awesome shifting.

Quinn - 04/11/14 - 1:03pm

MTBR just posted an article that explains the whole thing Much better- I like the Shimano cassette much better, as for the rest of it, it’s crap!

Kark - 04/11/14 - 1:14pm

Jen, there isn’t anything particularly “wrong” with the front mech, but there are a number of minor but real benefits to ditching it. (for some) Culling extraneous parts when possible simplifies and lightens the bike.

I found I was very rarely shifting out of my 32t front and the whole mess up there is a bother to clean, service and is several more things to go wrong. (not that it was a frequent issue by any stretch).

Having just switched to a 1×10 I found that it was a good experience and made the front mech redundant so it’s staying off.

That said, if you’re finding the 2x or even 3x useful then keep it and ignore the trend and the internet gobshites who believe there’s only one way to solve a problem.

wheel-guy - 04/11/14 - 1:16pm

I’m a big Shimano fan, but this is super disappointing. No reason to leave xx1 for this. Hint to Shimano: anybody who currently has xx1/x01 will never go back to a front derailleur again! For the racing I do (50 to 100 mile endurance), the 10-42 cassette range is perfect. 11-40 is a lot smaller range. Why would I want to reduce my range or go back to a stupid front derailleur?

john spartan - 04/11/14 - 1:20pm

That crank is hideous!

MissedThePoint - 04/11/14 - 1:24pm

Not excited. I’ll be one of those late adopters, if ever. Perhaps if someone makes a bike I want that doesn’t make annoying noise (bad luck with press fit BB) and doesn’t have bits coming loose, slipping, etc (bad luck with DW-Link/VPP2 pivots, modular dropouts). I’ll perhaps get a new bike that’s equipped with Shimano 11spd.

The aesthetics look like part road-part deore, which I was conditioned to think was not high-end MTB.

Jeff - 04/11/14 - 1:35pm

I really like this setup. I am not too crazy about 2×10 as it is and this looks like the answer. I have looked at Sram’s 1×11 (although I have never ridden it) and the gear spacing seemed too wide for spinning. While Sram’s 1×11 seems to cover a fairly good range, 2×10 just seems better overall for the average rider. Shimano seems to have addressed the issues that I have had with current setups… too bad I can’t afford this… and too bad I just purchased another 2×10 drivetrain. I think they just killed Sram’s 1×11 with the fact that this does not need a dedicated hub.

Marcassin - 04/11/14 - 1:41pm

This is a great news, no need for a new freehub body. Ok we will not have a gear ratio as good as what Sram is offering with the 10-42 but at least it will be a very good upgrade alternative.

John - 04/11/14 - 1:41pm

Shimano:

Two bleeds, and two teeth less than SRAM/Avid.

Also this stuff looks like something out of the Halo video games, aka futuristic ugly. I guess that’s technically ahead of its time…

Nick - 04/11/14 - 1:42pm

11×42!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

groghunter - 04/11/14 - 1:43pm

@jorge
10×42 is a much larger range. The 10t makes a much bigger difference than you’d think. Shimano traded range for existing freehub compatibility, and they may find fairly quickly that it was a poor choice. What they seem to continue to not realize is that MTBers are willing to adapt their cadence to the terrain, and will readily trade smooth jumps for extended range.

@MikeC
Can’t speak for everybody, but why would I spend the money on a whole new drivetrain, when I can get a bigger range than this for $80? Heck I can match this range, & keep my existing drivetrain, including the clearance a short cage derailleur provides.

badbikemechanic - 04/11/14 - 2:04pm

Wow there are allot of sram fanboys/ shimano haters on this forum. I have always preferred shimano over sram for the machined styling over gaudy “look at me graphics”, cassette that doesn’t require a ridiculous free hub body, and ofcourse the set it, leave it and it works functionality. The new xtr is going to be fantastic and whoa 11 speeds on a normal cassette body! You can run any hub and wheel you damn well please. GJ Shimano!

Jason - 04/11/14 - 2:15pm

SRAM is bringing a group called 1x soon says my SRAM rep. X9 level but still on XD driver.

badbikemechanic - 04/11/14 - 2:16pm

The crank looks phenomenal. It looks like a updated take on the 90′s xtr. There is no carbon to fray, chip or snap. So sick brah

cole - 04/11/14 - 2:21pm

Those chainrings would last almost twice as long if they were able to be mounted 4 ways (like normal mtb rings) so that the teeth in the dead zone could be swapped to the power zone. But reducing rotational symmetry is cool too though and makes perfect sense, I guess?

hoser - 04/11/14 - 2:26pm

The crank looks to me like their Altus crank found on $500 hybrids, but polished. I still want it, though.

sambo - 04/11/14 - 2:37pm

i like the looks.

jen - 04/11/14 - 3:03pm

Kark, ill be staying 9 speed double untill they make a 11 speed duel control lol :) f*ing love those shifters so much, the secret is to run them with a normal rear mech . Im going to be going bk to a triple this summer, fed up with running out of gears on the down hills.

fraser - 04/11/14 - 3:06pm

The tripple crank looks good, the single und double look a bit cheap. But I will have to see them in real live before final judgement.

btw: will the 11-40 cassette the only cassette available? Or will there be a 11-34 or even better a 11-32 for the real man (hurgh!!) of us?

scentofreason - 04/11/14 - 3:23pm

Apparently their are no mountains in Japan. The triple comes with a 40 as the large ring? I just custom ordered a 46 from ARI because I spun out the 42 that came with my XTR triple. I also got a 22 (for a 22, 34, 46). I am in heaven now, because their is nothing to steep I can’t climb in the 22, and I can actually pedal down the hills in my 46 (instead of coasting in a 42). I hate this whole trend of 1x, 2x, and super compact 3x. It’s all geared towards the fake race courses the pros use – that have no bearing on what actual mountain biking is – unless you live in Florida (cuz it’s flat there)…

scentofreason - 04/11/14 - 3:26pm

Jen, Don’t bother getting the triple for the downhills unless you get aftermarket rings from ARI. a 42 up front can be spun out on the flats. Think of a road bike, the small ring is a 39, the big ring is 53. The xtr 42 (current) or the 40 (next get) are essentially slighter larger small road bike rings. You will spin out all over the place.

badbikemechanic - 04/11/14 - 3:39pm

@scento

Your comment basically sums up my disdain for sram’s 1×11. True mountain bikers spin on the trail and require as many gear ratios as possible. I am still not fully on board with 2 X 10.

badbikemechanic - 04/11/14 - 3:49pm

Reading through all of the haters comments I get the sense that most of them bought into srams bs 1 x 11 group, bought the new wheel, and now are butt hurt that Shimano is releasing a 11 speed that doesn’t require a dumb, fat unnecessary free hub body. Sram are the hipsters of the bike industry with old ass tech and flashy graphics.

DPNM - 04/11/14 - 4:35pm

Why ditch the front derailleur? Because the biggest compromise in full suspension design is the need to have some place to mount the front derailleur. Now that is no longer needed, have you counted the bikes that have just come out that you cannot mount a front derailleur on? Several and I bet more are in the pipeline. Always was a Shimano shifting fan, but this is disappointing to me and will keep me on my SRAM 1×11 (first use of SRAM for me in many years), but with Shimano XTR trail brakes. Lots of mountains to climb here in New Mexico and the 1×11 with a 32T front covers it well. In fact I started with a 30T and found it too low. This will also disappoint a couple of friends who were set to buy my SRAM components so I could switch back to Shimano when their 1×11 finally arrived. Not happening now. As for the aesthetics, I have to admit I kind of like it.

badbikemechanic - 04/11/14 - 4:39pm

(deleted)

Carl - 04/11/14 - 4:45pm

scentofreason – you can spin out a 42/11 on the flat?! For how long? You could take the world hour record with your power. Sarcasm aside for a moment, if you are spinning out a 42/11 on a downhill, you are on a dirt road, not an actual mountain bike downhill. The Kamikaze was cool in the early 90s, but we’re past that now.

Ilikeicedtea - 04/11/14 - 4:54pm

@badbikemechanic.

Stop making sh!tty comments?

Kyle - 04/11/14 - 5:00pm

Whats the chances this 11-40 cassette will working with a 1×10 set up with Sram X0 type 2 RD?

scentofreason - 04/11/14 - 5:09pm

Carl, Please come visit us in the pacific northwest, I’ll think you’ll really like ‘mountain biking’… Although you are somewhat on the mark, I’m not peddling in the big ring down really technical singletrack. But there are plenty of sections of gravel roads, forest service roads, double track, and a touch of singletrack that have been a joy to ride with the 46. As for spinning out a 42, come on, I have a 53 on my road bike (like the rest of the planet). Even the average rider can spin easily in the big ring on the flats….

fisho - 04/11/14 - 5:14pm

….. and I was just about to go to 10 on the mtn bike, whew. Dodged that unnecessary financial bullet.

CS645 - 04/11/14 - 5:16pm

Conclusion:

SRAM has the best 1x sollution

Shimano has the best 2x sollution

Personally I would just want a 11-40t 10-speed cassette.

jen - 04/11/14 - 6:22pm

Carl, yea i thought that but when i ride downhills lots of time i can go faster if i have higher gears, so im going to be putting them back on for the summer, and i didn’t only use my outer ring on dirt roads. Also why cant you ride dirt roads fast any more?

Mindless - 04/11/14 - 6:37pm

@groghunter: They did not trade cadence for range. They offer a MUCH wider ranger with 2×11 offering, something that SRAM XX1 system can not match. For most practical uses front derailleur is not a problem. Stay 90% of time in middle ring – 11-40 is more than enough for that, and drop to granny when really needed, with XTR front derailleur shifting smoother than rear.

For a downhill or XC racer who wants to save weight or add simplicity with 1×11 option, that extra 10% of range is not critical. People had been racing on narrower 1×9 for ages with no problems.

More choices, lower cost (with XT coming out).

Mindless - 04/11/14 - 6:40pm

@jen: Second gen hydro dual control with Shadow rear derailleur was awesome, unlike the first iteration. And then they killed it.

Badbikemechanic - 04/11/14 - 6:59pm

(deleted)

Brendan - 04/11/14 - 7:16pm

@Mindless: This new 2×11 is a narrower total range than SRAM’s 2×10.

MaLóL - 04/11/14 - 7:49pm

you can put an xx1 wheel with an xx1 cassette in a bike with xtr, so no big deal.

now the question is; where is the xtr Di2? it was leaked 2 months ago already, this might be bike, but no rumor anymore, am I wrong?

Seems like shimano gave all the media donkeys an anouncement date and all the sheeps folowed… sounds about time for a true bike-rumor website, and one with no comments censorship!!!!

Badbikemechanic - 04/11/14 - 8:06pm

Xtr di2 would be killer. Hopefully they will offer a 20 speed option

jf - 04/11/14 - 8:36pm

Does the width of the rear hub make any difference? ie, if I wanted to run this cassette with a road group on 130mm wide rear wheel, would this spare me from having to rebuild a wheel or buy a whole new rear one? I know people buying XTR really aren’t concerned with price, but once this trickles down, it would be really nice to piece out a chear groupset and not have to mess with or replace the rear wheel to install it.

Mortimer - 04/11/14 - 9:16pm

1x is not for everyone. Tried it and went back to 2x for some more top end. Each to their own and I see 2×11 as thumbs up. Will wait to see an XTR Di2 and prob smack down some cash on that.

Fleche1454 - 04/11/14 - 11:14pm

Okay I’m seeing no mention of their special direct mount they were doing to make a better derailleur. Did that go away? Also why do they keep using that double screw piece to mount the derailleur. Surely they could make it out if one piece to make it stiffer.

Also I agree those cranks are terrible looking and the rear mech looks like a deore level part.

Matt - 04/11/14 - 11:34pm

Where is the DiMTB. Seriously, they have hard Di2 for what, 3 -4 year now. How hard is it to migrate it over to MTB.

Mike - 04/12/14 - 12:34am

My mountain bike frame can’t handle all these new specs. Where’s the new SQ-M9000 XTR Seat Post Quick Release at?

Zach Overholt - 04/12/14 - 12:51am

@badbikemechanic, when it’s your first time commenting or commenting from a different IP, your comments have to be first manually approved (this has been stated many times on the site). When we have a ton of comments coming through (up to 77 now?) it takes a while to get through the approvals – especially when we’re actively working a trade show to bring you more coverage. Happy?

grog - 04/12/14 - 2:12am

@mindless
They said in the press for this that they specifically picked the gear ratios for cadence, it even has that fancy rhythm step name. 40t worked better with their chosen gear steps, so they went with it instead of 42t. It’s a mistake, as people would have considered it essentially the same as XX1 then, even though the 10t makes a huge difference. As, for me, I’ll be sticking with a Saint shifter + zee der, at least for the time being.

Oh, and is there some reason you only think DH guys and racers deserve the simplicity of a 1x system? Everybody else hasn’t “earned” it?

When not one, but several frames start coming out that can’t run 2x or 3x, the writing is on the wall, and you need to have a competitive answer. This isn’t.

dodo - 04/12/14 - 3:00am

Fantastic updates. Some People seem obsessed with 1042 and don’t realize how much more there is in this new XTR offers. The brakes alone (that were already stunning) are

But as far as range: 1140 looses less than one gear form 1042 and it does not require any change in standard. It also means that as soon as the 1140 gets to XT one will be able to have 95% of the range at a fraction of the cost, think $450 (XTR) or $200 (XT) vs the idiotic $1000 plus (yep! you need a new wheel to use that stupid 10 cog!) for SRAM.

But wait: think of a 1140 double where all the gear can be reached by either chain ring (and the shift is as good as the rear): the range is immense, something a single will never be able to reach.

SRAM 1042 benefits from a lot of misinformation and marketing, I would not be surprised if 1140 will wipe it out in a few years.

ritchey - 04/12/14 - 4:09am

There is 1×11 option and everybody is complaining about front derailleur….Shimano have best ever front shifting, and this XTR M9000 would shift even better, and they shaved 25g from fd-m986.Don’t buy that front der. if you don’t want it.The companies are trying to make parts there are stiffer,lighter, longer lasting,and when they publish new things crowd hate all that….Happiness please!
The finish on cranks and der. looks awesome!XX1/X01 is dead in the water already,wait for the M9000 Di2!

nomaad - 04/12/14 - 4:29am

Ok I hate gear ratios as much as the next guy, but seeing as I have a bike with a 2×10 Shimano drivetrain on the way, I decided to do the calculations vs. XTR. My drivetrain is 38/24 with an 11-36 cassette, I’m looking at XTR 11spd with 38/28 chainrings and the 11-40 cassette.

Total range on 2×10: 518%
Total range on 2×11: 493%

So I would lose a gear going to 11spd? What?
PS: If the cassette were 11-42, the range would be 518%.

Mindless - 04/12/14 - 4:39am

@Brendan: First, you can’t count. (39/11)/(26/36) or (42/11)/(28/36) < (36/11)/(26/40) Second, all cassette is usable with either front ring, and cassette is 10% wider than SRAM. Third, SRAM's front shifting sucks in comparison to even current XTR.

Mindless - 04/12/14 - 4:45am

@grog: Nobody “deserves” anything. Even my kids can easily figure out two front rings – especially as with this system there is no problem with cross-chaining. Entire cassette is usable. 11 to 40 (which can be run with Zee, if you wish) is just a gear narrower. Not a deal breaker, if you want to run a frame without front derailleur.

mark - 04/12/14 - 4:52am

@maico_mark promise that bike …..

Josh - 04/12/14 - 5:11am

the xtr cranks look like bottom of the range alvio, they have not done well!
BRING ON DI2 XTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Badbikemechanic - 04/12/14 - 6:57am

@dodo

Spot on!

MulletRacer - 04/12/14 - 9:22am

Shimano is going to knock it out of the park with this group.

Sram may be the first to enter the game, but shimano typically does things better.
There is a reason why SRAM parts are lighter than Shimano. Less technology and durability is built into the product. And the reason SRAM parts are cheaper is that all small parts are outsourced to the lowest possible bidder. This can cause a lot of QC issues(think road hydro disc recall). Shimano kills it in the quality control arena. Every employee down the line in the factory has a job to QC check the products. If the next guy down the line spots a QC issue, it immediately goes back to the earlier factory worker.

I like XX1 too, but non adjustable clutches on the derailleurs is not cool. I hate to warranty a whole derailleur when the clutch loosens up/fails over time.
Shimanos shadow adjustable clutch fixes this problem and allows the rider to tune the tension.

Also, Narrow-wide works great when new, but as the ring wears(maybe 2 chains worth) aggressive riders start getting chain drops.

Shimanos titanium teeth will hopefully last a lot longer than the competitors aluminum.

Anyway, super stoked to see some of the new gear in person.

k - 04/12/14 - 9:52am

3 chains in on my xx1 ring, no drops yet.

this stuff looks distinctly shimano-y. beautifully engineered, but just not what i want.

alloycowboy - 04/12/14 - 11:23am

@ Zack Overholt, can you ask Shimano what is the point of adding more gears in the back if they are not going to offer cyclists an improved gear ratio spread. In the last ten years they dropped the big ring from 48 teeth all the way down to 40 teeth. A 40-11 gear ratio on a 29er @ 90 rpm only gives you 45 kph of speed, a hungry German Shepard can do 48 kph, bears and wolves can do 50 kph. Some one ought to bring a couple of hungry German Shepards over to Shimano USA so they get the point.

grog - 04/12/14 - 11:49am

@mindless I can use zee with it? did they announce new 11 speed zee when I wasn’t looking? A couple people here have said it’s only 1 gear narrower, but I’m seeing a range reduction on BOTH ends of the cassette, that doesn’t seem like one gear to me. Personally, I think that 10-42 is the bare minimum for a 1x drivetrain on anything that goes up hills well (my current bike doesn’t, which is why I live with 32t x 11×36) the 42 helps a lot with climbs, but the 10t is key: it allows you to drop a chainring size, and keep the same top speed as 10 speed.

Mike - 04/12/14 - 1:41pm

Yeah, the new cranks do kind of look like their department store stuff. At least they don’t have all those “wow” “much shift” doge labels that the cheaper components do.

Come to think of it, I finally figured out what all those black 42t add-a-gear things remind me of…

Yagil - 04/12/14 - 5:49pm

I actually quite like the idea, especially that they DO have a 3x. With all the “you don’t need FD” stuff, I found out that for my uses it’s absolutely needed. I have a 26″ Folding MTB (Slingshot Fold-Tech, heavy frame but excellent, and altogether not that bad with my build being 26lb with pedals), with Sram X9 RD (because I wanted twist-shifters), Shimano XT FD and SLX crank; on the rear, as I’m still 9-speeder, I have 11-34; on the front, I have 48-36-24 (the smaller ring taken from another set). I communte to work on pavement and dust trails; I go bikepacking; I carry two kids in a bike trailer, and went bikepacking with them – and I can’t thing of having less gear ratios. Sometimes I wish I hade lower gears, and on fast pavement I (rarely) sping out the 48-11 combo. This bike is five years old, and I already regret I didn’t go for tne 3X10 route for the additional lower gears. Now my problem with that XTR is the absence of a “Touring” version; if they had a 33-speed, with 48t largest cog in front and that fine-looking 11-40 cassette in the rear I’ll be sold.
I know that for many people 1x is the way to go; but there definitely are some people who will need a triple, and 1x won’t be the answer for everyone.

arvi - 04/13/14 - 1:14am

Still have my ’96 XTR on my old blacked out CAAD3 hardtail. And it still gets looks. This new crank is not pretty at all. But I’m digging the derailleurs and the brakes. On the other hand, my 3-yr. old FS is a 1×10 with a Shadow Plus at the rear. I was waiting for Shim’s response to the XX1. But this new XTR isn’t cutting it in the beauty department. I’ll wait until the reviews and the aftermarket cranks arrive. Oh well.

francemtb - 04/13/14 - 5:21pm

I would like a singlespeed option

randy - 05/10/14 - 4:28pm

I am currently running 1×10 with one up conversion. Gonna get new xtr 9000 long cage and run as a 1×10. Shifter does the indexing. Should work perfect and at 1/5th the cost.

Roger - 05/25/14 - 3:44am

Looking at tbe front crank and ring shot I had to scroll back up to tbe full bike picture to confirm this wasnt on a commuter bike.

Aesthetically; its a travesty

jose - 08/01/14 - 6:44pm

11 x 1 is not the right choice for a hilly country like Costa Rica, but I will stick with the 2 x 11 that makes more sense to me, period.
By the way, ugly or not the XTR crankset it is a smart solution for several things!