White Industries Issues 20th Anniversary Polished Speed Racer Hubs, Plus New Centerlock Disc Hubs

White-Industries-20th-anniversary-polished-silver-hubs02

White Industries is celebrating their long run as a lustworthy component brand with these new 20th Anniversary Limited Edition Speed Racer hubs.

They’re updated for 11-speed -the flanges and everything shifted a couple mils to accommodate the wider freehub body- but are otherwise the same as the classic originals. Retail is $460 for the set and it includes a t-shirt with the original ad artwork. Which you can see along with all the pretty colors for their new Centerlock disc brake hubs, below…

White-Industries-20th-anniversary-polished-silver-hubs01

White-Industries-20th-anniversary-polished-silver-hubs03

White Industries CLD Centerlock Disc brake hubs for road cyclocross and mountain bikes

We first saw White Industries new CLD (Center Lock Disc) hubs at Interbike last fall as prototypes. Now, they’re in final form and shipping. We’ve even got a set in for review.

White-Industries-Centerlock-Disc-hubs-actual-weights04

Final weights are: Front – 143g thru axle and 141g QR. Rear – 266g QR and 277g thru axle.

White-Industries-Centerlock-Disc-hubs-actual-weights06

So, obviously, available with either standard quick release axle ends or 15mm front/12×142 rear thru axle bits. That means they’re good for any road, cyclocross or mountain bike.

White-Industries-Centerlock-Disc-hubs-actual-weights05

Very pretty. Look for first impressions on these a couple weeks after Sea Otter.

Comments

Bubbrubb - 04/04/14 - 11:06pm

Xd driver offered?

Jimmy Deaton - 04/04/14 - 11:09pm

I still have a set of the originals! Sitting in an old box because they would NEVER stay tight. 2mm screws to hold bearing preload on a mtb doesn’t work.

suede - 04/04/14 - 11:59pm

20 years of the worst bearing preload system in the world let’s celebrate!

Psi Squared - 04/05/14 - 12:47am

The bearing preload on all of my WI hubs works perfectly. Here’s to many more years of WI hubs.

suede - 04/05/14 - 1:10am

@psisquared hiding minuscule set screws behind a shroud for no appreciable reason is far from great engineering. I’ve had less frustration replacing an iphone and kindle fire tablet screen. I thought the design was flawed when I worked on the first cassette hubs 20 years ago and I was honestly startled to see them still using this design this fall. If they could apply the same engineering effort and common sense that they employ on their freewheels I’d shut up.

ranggapanji - 04/05/14 - 6:21am

11-speed Shimano compatible 12 x 142 hub? I’d better get myself ready for 11-speed XTR. maybe.

Patrick - 04/05/14 - 7:55am

I just received my set of the blue CLD thru axle hubs. These things are a work of art. I cannot wait to get them built up.

Technirider - 04/05/14 - 8:46am

I have a set of the originals build in Mtb wheels (now on commuter bike) with Ti-dye spokes. Hubs are still running great.

Davet - 04/05/14 - 10:40am

I agree, those hubs sucked! I had 2 sets and not only did they constantly come loose but the freewheel ring stripped in both sets and the alloy used for the cassette body was so soft you had to pry the gears off it with a screw driver to change cassettes. Just not a design that needs to be celebrated.

bikermark - 04/05/14 - 10:56am

@suede: I’ve built on H1, H2, H3, T-11, MI-5, and MI-6 and I’ve never had a problem with WI hubs. I can’t say the same about other manufactures. WI has everyone beat on the combination of weight, reliability, and cost. Plus they’re made in USA and I’ve only had great customer service from them.

r80gs - 04/05/14 - 1:12pm

I agree with @bikermark – I think there are three 2mm set screws, and once you know what’s what, they couldn’t be easier to adjust…and almost never require it.
I’ve had WI hubs on both my road and mountain bikes for years because my favorite wheel builders seem to agree on them. Great stuff – tough, quiet, easily serviceable, top notch customer service and US made. Maybe not as flashy as King or Hope, but better sounding IMHO.

Ben - 04/05/14 - 6:39pm

I’ve have 3 sets with no problems. Not sure I would use them on a DH rig tho…

K11 - 04/06/14 - 12:45pm

still have my original speed racer hubs. Never had issues.

@bubbrubb- i sent an email, yes Xd driver is available, if not now very soon. (not for me, but others may be interested to know. just passing along what white told me.

I sent an email about 3 years ago asking Chris King and company if they had plans for center lock disc hubs, never got back to me. I sent white industries a question for a friend about the Xd driver and received an answer first thing the next day! King for headsets, but i’ll stick to white industries for my hubs.

gerald t. - 04/06/14 - 9:58pm

@k11- Cane creek over chris king for headsets any day.

ChrisC - 04/06/14 - 10:26pm

@Davet – WI uses and has always used 6/4 Ti or 4130 Cro-mo for their freehub bodies, so if you’re chewing those up, you must be pushing literally THOUSANDS of watts through them. I’m not calling BS, I’m just thinking you might be confusing these with some other hub.

suede - 04/06/14 - 11:44pm

Just to clarify I can’t attest to the durability of a WI hub because I’ve had no first hand experience. I can however express my displeasure at what I feel is an error in a design. I was unnecessarily snarky in my comment out of frustration with the industry I’ve called home for a quarter of a century. I’m done with basic mistakes in engineering that force me to work harder and longer to keep these bikes on the road, I’m done with being an outsider because I praise that beat down Schwinn Traveler for still surviving and being easy to work on. I appreciate and respect those opinions that praise WI hubs. I do not doubt the validity of those claims. I personally cannot celebrate what I see as a flawed design that can manifest itself into a unnecessarily difficult repair when things go south. I’m also glad to hear of good experiences with WI customer service. I’ve not recommended CK, MRP, or Manitou products for many years due to horrible and unreasonable problems with customer service from those companies. I’m not an idiot and I am simply acting as a liason between your end user and you, treat me as such.
For the record as I remember it WI did in fact use alloy freehub bodies, I give them a pass on that one simply because that mistake is one made time and time again by many manufactures. I also remember that they quite quickly offered ti as an option to address the stuck cassettes which at the time was a problem none of us foresaw.

bikermark - 04/07/14 - 8:16am

+1 on the praise for WI’s Ti and 4130 freehub bodies. This weekend I needed to two chain whips and a lot of patience to remove the cassette from my PowerTap G3. The cassette was properly installed and the hub has never seen more that 1200 watts.