Two Fat Fronts are Better Than One with the new Rungu Juggernaut Bullfrog Trike

Juggernaut-3-4-clipped-1024x769

Sometimes you need more than just a standard bike. Maybe you just want to channel your inner chariot racer or feel like pedaling around mountain biking’s equivalent of a 2 headed cerberus. Either way, Rungu’s new bullfrog trikes have you covered. Why bullfrog? Well, we suppose if the quick, streamlined recumbent 3 wheeled trikes are called tadpoles, the aggressive upright stance and large footprint of the Rungu trikes is deserving of the name. So just what is a bullfrog trike and why would you want one? Built with a fatbike rear end and a split, dual head tube design, the Juggernaut and the Kilimanjaro use dual head tubes with identical front wheels and forks that are steered through a connected handle bar. Which of course is equipped with bar ends. Rungu claims this adds additional stability thanks to the shoulder width front wheel spacing and combined with low gearing, they also claim this can get you places your standard bike or car just won’t go.

Want a front suspension bull frog? Catch one after the break…

surfing_1170x500-1024x437-e1391003642671

Rungu seems to think the Juggernaut will be the perfect surfing accessory thanks to its prowess on the sand. Even with a full size surf board, they’ve found a way to carry it. In addition to the tow behind method, the Rungu has a number of mounting holes for an overhead rack, like on a truck.

STEERING-DETAIL-OVERHEAD-OPT-1-small

Our main concern with this design is how the bike will handle when turning. While the split bar’s steering brace based on modified Ackerman geometry is hinged to allow for each wheel to turn and minimize wheel slip, there doesn’t seem to be anything to account for lean. Rungu claims the shoulder width stance of the front wheels allows you to bank into turns like a bicycle, but if you bank hard enough that outside wheel is coming off the ground.

Kilimanjaro-3-4-clipped-1024x773

The Kilimanjaro uses the same frame but replaces the fatbike front wheels and forks with 29er suspension forks. Rungu says this will be the model for rocks and pavement, but if sand and snow is your thing then the Juggernaut is the right choice. Juggernaut pricing is set at $2,500 plus tax and shipping, with an additional $400 if you want Surly Bud 4.7 tires. The Kilimanjaro is slightly more at $2,600 but will run only an additional $100 for the Surly Bud/Michelin Wild Grip’r2 29 x 2.25″ tire package. Both bikes will come standard with Vee Rubber 4.7 Snow Shoe and Vee Rubber 29″x2.5″ Speed-R as standard. For full specs head over to riderungu.com.

Thanks to Eric Jacobson for the tip!

Comments

Tad Dickman - 03/28/14 - 12:50pm

I won’t buy one until Wal-Mart comes out with them. Then I’m going to tell everyone how stupid they are for overpaying. Excellent.

McClain - 03/28/14 - 12:52pm

I was already starting to think this Fatbike thing was getting a bit out of hand, but I told myself, let the kids have their fun.

But seriously.

Seriously. It’s enough.

Aaron - 03/28/14 - 12:53pm

this just shows you what the fat bike “types” are like.

Brad - 03/28/14 - 12:58pm

BR is just trolling with this post, lol

why3fatwheels - 03/28/14 - 12:59pm

Why not four wheels, six or even eight. Maybe it’s easier to just walk at this point w/ your surf board. Would be a cool car rack as well if you could lift it. However back in the day when I worked in bike shops people w/ special needs bought trikes. Mostly for stability to ride for exercise and mobility… but they used a traditional trike on the road w/ skinny tires. I hate to be negative but this is truly a disaster. I think it’s cool Bike Rumor let’s us have fun w/ articles like this.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM - 03/28/14 - 1:02pm

Holy franken Fat Bikes BATMAN!

BMW - 03/28/14 - 1:02pm

Makes sense to have two wheels in the front, seeing as most of your body weight is over the front tires and all..

pmurf - 03/28/14 - 1:09pm

I thought for sure we’d see 2-wheel drive fatbikes before this. I agree with BR’s “concerns” – It seems to me that if you’re gonna go trike, you might as well space the wheels out quite a ways…I wonder if it offers much more stability than a 2-wheeler, especially considering the terrain it’s meant to engage. In any case, it’s pretty wild!Good luck to them.

Ilikeicedtea - 03/28/14 - 1:27pm

Two (3) wheels on the ground only in a straight line, right?

There’s no linkage to counter bike lean, so one wheel lifts off the ground in any corner of consequence.

Eric.NM - 03/28/14 - 1:37pm

To quote many a previous post:

“I believe the correct response is to kill it before it lays eggs.”

…and +1 to @McClain

Steve @ G4G - 03/28/14 - 1:45pm

This could be a great solution for people with disabilities. It brings to mind the paralympian who rides a BMC trike. http://www.bmctempo.com/steven-peace-true-grit/

MG - 03/28/14 - 1:56pm

One word to describe it.. EPIC! Make a carbon frame with duel crown forks and I’ll buy it in a heartbeat. AND maybe a coil shock. What the hell two coil shocks!

Greg @ dsw - 03/28/14 - 2:16pm

Nice, but hasn’t this been done before? See pic:

MuMu - 03/28/14 - 2:20pm

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

KO - 03/28/14 - 2:32pm

and, looking above the forks…what exactly is the width on those handlebars??

Gunnstein - 03/28/14 - 2:34pm

Keeping with the time honoured US tradition of making vehicles with great handling – as long as you’re happy to ride in a straight line. Turning is for pansies and commies!!!1

Dwayne - 03/28/14 - 2:40pm

Until they come out with one with two super-fat tires in the FRONT as well, it’s dead to me…

Aaron - 03/28/14 - 2:50pm

Show up for a ride with one of your stoner buddies and insist he is just seeing things, and tell him to lay off the pipe.

The best use for this bike would just be f#$%ing with people.

Doug B - 03/28/14 - 3:09pm

Someone at Rungu was thinking “how can we make mtn biking even more expensive”….

J! O! S! H! ALL CAPS - 03/28/14 - 3:13pm

You guys are all jelly. This goes to show how powerful the fat bike is the potential it has.

Nick - 03/28/14 - 5:50pm

@ Eric.NM
Take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

Timquila - 03/28/14 - 5:52pm

Look how much support your number plate would get!

Jack - 03/28/14 - 9:25pm

Slave and push up the hill. I’m at the top!! Now for the downhill… Now I’ll show ‘em. Get up to speed, better pedal gravity alone ain’t gonna do it… here comes the first high speed off camber corner ….down I go. Call the fat tyre ambulance.

Liberty555 - 03/29/14 - 4:56am

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

leverfingers - 03/29/14 - 11:15am

April Fools? This type of thing shouldn’t be posted this close to the day. Unless it really is a joke.

ChrisW - 03/29/14 - 11:22am

April 1st is not until Monday.

E-Willy - 03/29/14 - 8:13pm

I like it for its (supposedly) intended purpose: winter riding. I’m in complete agreement that this is a terrible turner, but I don’t think there are many steep descents on a barren plane of snow (or beach).

Agree also with the comment about the bar width. I find the extra width of my regular fat ride (no, not the wife) uncomfortable moat of the time. I can imagine having my wrists at any wider angle.

As for those poopooing the fat bike, if you love to ride, then buy one. Riding across a frozen lake, or on top of the snow after a brief thaw in spring is a whole new way to enjoy our passion. I ride mine when it’s right to ride. It will never replace my 26er (nor will a 29er – but maybe 27.5?) in the spring and fall, nor am I going to be switching to single speed anytime soon (and a chorus of praise erupts from my knees). But it’s a fun bike to ride in the winter when you want to explore all those places *between* the trails and beyond.

Great idea taken one step further I say, well done!

zaska - 03/31/14 - 11:34am

Kill me plz!

Rungu wt u doing, stap plis, staph