Taipei Show: Lake Heat Molds your Sole, Sneak Peek of Limited 402 Matte Black Road Shoe

Lake carbon moldable insoles limited edition matte black road (4)

As we found on the Lake CX331 road shoes, custom molding of the shoe can provide major benefits in extended ride comfort. But what are you to do if your shoes aren’t head moldable? Then you might want to check out Lake’s new heat moldalbe custom insoles. Offered in both fiberglass and carbon fiber, the insoles offer custom fit arch and heel cup support that are compatible with just about any road shoe.

See what a set of custom insoles will set you back as well as check out the new Limited Edition 402 Matte Black road shoe next.

Lake carbon moldable insoles limited edition matte black road (3) Lake carbon moldable insoles limited edition matte black road (2)

Like their custom fit road shoes, the insoles can be custom molded at home with the use of your oven. Using a slightly lower temperature, insoles are placed in the oven at 150°f for 3 minutes, then placed in the shoe to conform to your feet. The toughest part of designing the insoles was to create something that was nearly the same thickness of a standard insole. The custom fit insoles will be offered in fiberglass for $50 a pair, and a lighter carbon version at $80, and will be shipping next month. Lake says a perfect use of the insoles in in a shoe like their CX237 which isn’t heat moldable.

Lake carbon moldable insoles limited edition matte black road (1)

Few details here other than the fact that this is their new Limited Edition CX402 road shoe in matte black. We want it. What about you?

taispons taipei bike show coverage 2014

Comments

dkrenik - 03/12/14 - 12:06pm

Man, I loved my Lake CX400′s – awesome shoe. Didn’t really appreciate them until I switched to Specialized. Can’t wait to go back.

ken - 03/12/14 - 1:44pm

Agreed, the Lake shoes are more comfortable, and with the heat moldable insoles they can only get better, but if your a gram geek the S-Works win all day long. Furthermore, I cant imagine these insoles are right if you want a low stack height.

ken - 03/12/14 - 1:44pm

and i do like my lakes more than my s-works

Psi Squared - 03/12/14 - 1:53pm

Is it safe to assume that Lake shoes have a roomy toe box like S-Works road shoes?

K11 - 03/12/14 - 2:39pm

lake will be my next shoe. mmm…real leather.

openmold - 03/12/14 - 3:10pm

Man, that black shoe looks like a nursing home podiatry walker.

Troy Junge - 03/12/14 - 6:41pm

Great shoes – but boy they need to work on their distribution – hard to buy, impossible to try.
Not having Velcro straps or Laces seems like a good idea, especially if you use shoe covers

Greg - 03/12/14 - 8:02pm

Those cx402′s are wicked

P - 03/12/14 - 10:49pm

did you guys read it before posting this?
“But what are you to do if your shoes aren’t head moldable? “

bk - 03/13/14 - 2:22am

@ Psi Squared: having tried multiples of Specialized & Lake (standard widths) I feel comfortable saying the Lake shoes have much more room in the toe box. I believe Specialized makes some shoes in wide however I don’t know how they would compare to the Lake shoes. I went with Specialized due to the Lake causing my feet to feel as though they were swimming around in the toe box.

RED - 03/13/14 - 6:42pm

So could you chuck these in a pair of Sidi’s ?

Bnystrom - 03/25/14 - 12:31pm

I’m not sure about the sizing on the road shoes, but their winter mtb shoes are not very wide, even in the wide sizes. I had to go up one size in order to get the width I need. The toe box is very roomy, but most of the room is in the height, not the width. If you have high-volume feet, you’ll probably love ‘em.

My low-volume feet have an excessive amount of room to move, but the shoes are definitely comfortable. I like that they’re leather and actually do break in. Next time, I’ll be tempted to go back to my regular size and see if I can stretch the uppers slightly to get the width I need.