Go Anywhere, Do anything With New Canfield Brothers Balance 27.5″ MTB

Canfield Brothers Balance HeadtubeCanfield Brothers is a mountain bike specific manufacturer that has always thought a little bit outside the box. For their first foray into the new 27.5″ market, they’ve introduced an all mountain bruiser capable of doing anything you could dare to put it through.
Canfield Brothers BalanceThe bike features 160mm of travel, and will be available in four sizes. At 66 degrees with an external headset, the frame should be slack enough to appease all but the fastest keyboard jockeys, and the sub 17″ chainstays and .22′ BB drop are also good preliminary indicators that the bike will handle well.

The frame also utilized 15mm pivot bearings throughout, which should keep maintenance intervals few and far between.

Canfield Balance Frame

The frame will be available in only anodized black with laser etched graphics or the brushed aluminum pictured above, but you will have your choice of six different anodized link colors. The new frame is utilizing a patend pending dual link design they’ve dubbed Formula. More info to follow soon here.

Pricing is set at $2,100 and they’re taking pre-orders here, but frames won’t start shipping till June 2014.2014 Canfield Balance Frame Geoemetry

2014 Canfield Brothers Geometry standard

2014 Canfield Brothers Geometry MetricFeatures:

• 6061 aluminum
  • Patent pending Canfield Balance Formula Suspension
  • 27.5”/26” compatible
  • 160mm travel
  • 200mm x 57mm Cane Creek Double Barrel Air included
  • 142 x 12mm Maxle rear axle
  • Tapered headtube
  • 15mm pivot max bearings
  • Replaceable rear derailleur hanger
  • Available in Small, Medium, Large and X-Large

Build Specs:

• Cane Creek Double Barrel DB Air CS included
  • Shock Specs – 200mm x 57mm, (22mm x 8mm hardware)
  • Recommend fork length – 160mm- 170mm
  • Headset – Tapered 44mm upper/49.6mm lower
  • Front derailleur – Shimano direct mount – top pull/single bolt, or Sram HO series
  • Bottom bracket – 73mm
  • Seatpost – 30.9mm
  • Seatpost clamp – 35mm
  • Rear dropout – 142mm x 12mm Maxle
  • ISCG tabs
  • Post brake mount

Comments

brian - 02/21/14 - 4:46pm

$21K seems steep…

Saris Mercanti - 02/21/14 - 4:48pm

@Brian

Not if it’s gold plated.

CB - 02/21/14 - 5:37pm

Really? A Santa Cruz 5010 or Bronson frame is $1950, the price of the Balance seems pretty in line with the industry standard to me. Especially when you consider how much smaller a company Canfield is.

Sevo - 02/21/14 - 5:44pm

$2100 is super fair price wise.

Reality Check - 02/21/14 - 5:52pm

A SC 5010 with a DB Air would be over $2100…..

Mr. P - 02/21/14 - 6:15pm

Looks good! CC DB FTW!

If it can go anywhere, does that include All of the Mountain?

P

thad - 02/21/14 - 6:20pm

where do i put my water bottle? Stealth dropper mounting? or any dropper?

Seraph - 02/21/14 - 6:44pm

Saying it can “go anywhere” and “do anything” is a pretty bold claim. I would wager that my Solo was better suited to going anywhere and doing anything.

Jeremy - 02/21/14 - 7:07pm

Does .22′(feet) of bb drop seems a little extreme to anyone else?

JoeP - 02/21/14 - 7:11pm

Done. 160mm travel do it all bike. Nice. $2100 priced right for that.

RealityCheck - 02/21/14 - 7:24pm

A SC 5010 with a DB Air would be over $2100…..

Devin - 02/21/14 - 7:38pm

Bellingham, woot woot! Go shred Galbraith for me!

Looking good fellas!

Mike - 02/21/14 - 7:48pm

I would guess that if someone feels a Solo (or 5010) is a do anything bike that person is not the target customer for most of what the Canfield brothers offer. Their full suspension frames tend to be a little more aggressive than most.

chasejj - 02/21/14 - 8:00pm

Pretty cool VPP variation. TT is too short. Needs at least a 25.5-26 in XL.

Billy Jack - 02/22/14 - 12:31am

chasejj, I was looking at that dimension for the large frame myself. My size medium AM bike has a TTL the same as the Large Balance. If it was longer, I wouldn’t bother looking for another bike.

Is anyone saying, “to hell with it, I’ll just run a stem 20mm longer” or is that aspect of bike handling too crucial to mess with? I don’t mind a 35mm stem, but the frame better fit me.

Maro - 02/22/14 - 6:59am

What about weight ? It must be really heavy though …

chasejj - 02/22/14 - 10:42am

Billy Jack- This HTA works well with a short stem in the 50-70mm range.

Sometimes it seems designers go the short route on TT to keep wheelbase in target range.

I and many others consider this a mistake. Longer TT give you the option to size down and still offer the larger beasts a TT that allows more confident riding down steeps and when climbing out of the saddle.

I wouldn’t consider this frame for that simple reason. Otherwise I like it. But I would need to run a 120mm stem on this thing to get the position I like. Which would pretty much make it a snowplow.

Duncan - 02/22/14 - 1:22pm

@Chasejj – exactly. Right on the money. TT length is the last remaining piece (IMO) of ‘old school’ bike design. Look at the direction Kona has gone in.

Billy Bongoman - 02/22/14 - 7:04pm

Those lower pivots being that close together are going to put a ton of stress on them and the frame… I hope they figured that into the design. Also – What’s with everyone trying to patent four point linkages? Seriously, how different can the articulation be from a VPP or Horst-link that it’ll make any appreciable difference??

slamman - 02/23/14 - 3:11am

sorry but it will not go anywhere, a fat bike will leave it sat in the sand, loose it on a climb and costs way less

gee - 02/24/14 - 7:06am

TT length on it’s won doesn’t tell the whole story – Yeti SB66 has a 640mm TT in large compared to a 607 here, but the reach on the 66 is 441mm – only a 3mm difference.

Went through table after table of measurements when buying my bike, but when I actually sat on the Yeti, I found it felt no longer than the bike I ended up buying, which had the same reach, despite a TT quoted 30mm shorter.

Mindless - 02/24/14 - 1:14pm

“patend pending dual link design”

People should just stop with this bullshit. Only so many ways to attach wheel to a bicycle and none is really innovative.

northwet - 02/24/14 - 1:55pm

Nice…if I didn’t already have a bronson, I’d be looking at this bad boy.

Jm2e - 08/23/14 - 11:11pm

This is a brilliant looking bike that’s going to destroy trail. The Balance, The Warden and The Nomad are raging along at the top in this new breed of hard charging medium hoop bikes. To hell with all the armchair quarterbacks from MTBR and elsewhere in web-forum land with their theories on geo-specs and linkage designs. Go ride a d*mn bike down a steep techy hill and grab a bit of air. Then look at this bike and you’ll know it’s sexy.