Paragon Machine Works Updates ToggleDrop, Thru Axle Singlespeed Dropouts Available Soon

tgopen

First shown back in March, Paragon Machine Works finally has a lock on their new ToggleDrop dropout system. Designed for use with a 142x12mm thru axle when running single speed or belt drive, the original ToggleDrop used a nifty sliding-toggle design to add tension to the belt or chain. Once the Toggle was locked, then the standard 12mm QR thru axle would be locked down keeping everything in place. The production of the dropout has been delayed due to a few improvements that Paragon wanted to make before it hit the market.

ToggleDrops are in production and will likely be seen on a few bikes at NAHBS, and will be available for general sale on March 1, 2014.

tdclosed

One of the biggest changes to the ToggleDrop is the new, folding lever for the right side of the toggle mechanism. The first photo shows the lever open, the second it is closed. Other changes include stronger frame pieces at the toggle mechanism, as well as a 4mm hex in the turnbuckle to dial in the tension. ToggleDrops will be offered in 6/4 titanium or 17/4 stainless in flat or flanged dropouts and will include a 160mm post mount disc brake fitting. Drive side inserts will be available in Shimano Direct Mount for derailleurs, or singlespeed/belt drive.

For more information or to order, contact Paragon Machine Works.

Comments

pfs - 02/06/14 - 2:05pm

How is this not adding a ton of complexity to a system that is otherwise pretty simple? I think the days of sliders are fading away. I have not looked back since going to an EBB 4 years ago. And my last SS frame before EBBs had paragon sliders that never stayed put.

Seraph - 02/06/14 - 2:25pm

This is cool but I think a simple EBB is the way to go. Makes for a much more clean setup in the long run.

David - 02/06/14 - 2:34pm

This does look a bit complex, but they wouldn’t make it if there weren’t a market. I prefer sliders to eccentrics myself.

Joel - 02/06/14 - 2:48pm

The whole point of the toggle is to easily and repeatably tension/detension the belt.

ve - 02/06/14 - 3:10pm

Looks more complicated than a derailer

Sevo - 02/06/14 - 4:18pm

Simple. Beautiful. Awesome. Nailed it.

Jason - 02/06/14 - 4:22pm

Will this bend your disc if you release the toggle without loosening the axle?

Dr. Badtouch - 02/06/14 - 6:05pm

@ Jason: How? The caliper tabs are on the slider, so there’s no apparent motion between the caliper and rotor…

That being said, Rube Goldberg would love this dropout.

bin judgin - 02/06/14 - 7:55pm

sliders look 1000x better than EBB, but i think ebb is a better system overall.

padrote - 02/06/14 - 8:43pm

eccentric bottom brackets are awful. good riddance.

onion - 02/06/14 - 9:32pm

@Jason, I imagine the toggle lever cannot be pulled if your quick release is adequately tightened. There shouldn’t be enough leverage to overcome the clamping force holding the rocker plates to the frame.

Tom - 02/06/14 - 10:32pm

I’d take a slider system or this over an EBB any day. I can’t speak to the performance of this particular system (it looks awesome), but its pretty funny to hear EBB’s being described as simple. Simple in their design, yes…but they make your head explode when it comes to them being annoyingly creaky, finicky and requiring you to adjust your seatpost height when you tension your chain…

Mattias - 02/07/14 - 1:38am

This design do put leverage force on the non drive side axle, pushing the wheel off center and rubbing the non drive chainstay. It do look good but working well? maybe not.

Pls note: I´m only a armchair engineer.

Burnt-Orange - 02/07/14 - 7:39am

Split clamp EBB’s are ok
I really wouldn’t want any of the others

captain bob - 02/07/14 - 12:08pm

Does anyone make a thru axle ss hub? I know you can use your geared hub but the article says ss. Also, I love my split shell ebb off my Specialized and love my Soul Cycles Dillinger’s ebb. Never ever a creak……..but not the case with my Bushnell ebb. I can see not using an ebb when looking to make it belt comp……with an ebb you’d still need to break the seat stay.

Zach Overholt - 02/07/14 - 12:25pm

captain bob, there are a few out there – Hadley, and Stan’s come to mind immediately. My guess is that more will come online as dropouts like this become more commonly used.

Jeff@Paragon - 02/07/14 - 1:03pm

Hi All,
More complicated than other current chain/belt adjustable methods? Yes, but if you have a look at old patents on the subject (and I encourage you to) there are some pretty amazing, and creative patents ranging from really simple to VERY complex. Remember, derailleurs came on the scene pretty late so chain adjustment was a problem in need of a solution starting with the very first chain driven, late 1800′s bikes. USPTO.gov patent searches are pretty enlightening (and amusing at times). I spend hours on their website.
Regarding which is best- it’s why we all love bikes (and why Paragon and others have so many different products)- Land of Choice!
Also, to Mattias above- toggle mechanism is identical on non drive side (minus the extension lever) so wheel centers nicely and consistently.
Jeff

stipey - 02/08/14 - 8:42am

Thanks Jeff. You just gave me ANOTHER time waster while at work (looking at USPTO.gov). My boss will be happy.

Also, choices are good.