Found: Threshold Provisions’ Natural, Gluten Free Energy Bars

Threshold-Provisions-natural-energy-bars01

Threshold Provisions energy bars are about as simple as you can get, using only real food ingredients to get a solid mix of healthy carbs, fats and protein to keep you riding. We had a chance to try all four flavors -Blueberry Ginger, Pistachio Chai, Cherry Coconut and Mango Yerba Mate- at the NCCX finals and enjoyed them all.

They’re free of gluten, soy and dairy and have no added sugars.

The bars handmade by husband and wife team Josh and Diane Mitchell at Blue Ridge Food Ventures, a shared space kitchen in Asheville, NC. And they’re in good company, working alongside Vortex Doughnuts and Blue Blaze Soda Company, among others.They’re cooked lightly and have a middle-of-the-road consistency (not too dry, not too moist), making them easy to eat mid ride.

Threshold-Provisions-natural-energy-bars02

Ingredients are similarly simple for all varieties. They’re a bit on the small side once you unwrap them, but gram- and calorie-wise, they’re on par with ClifBars and larger than LaraBars and Hammer Nutrition bars. Retail is $3 each.

Threshold-Provisions-alaskan-salmon-jerky01

The bars weren’t their first product. Josh’s first life was as a commercial fisherman in Alaska, and now he sources Salmon from that area to make jerky. If you haven’t tried it, best to start with something good to form an opinion, and this was pretty darn good. Check them out at ThresholdPro.com.

Comments

Jason Spiker - 01/29/14 - 4:07pm

I love stuff like this. I’d trade my bike sponsor for a food sponsor any day.. Good luck with the product.

Batson - 01/29/14 - 5:13pm

My wife ended up with some of these last weekend, given as part of a podium prize. We tried one on the drive home and they’re pretty damn good. That got me to their website once back at work to see where we could buy some.

Jacob - 01/29/14 - 5:15pm

They don’t ship to the UK so I guess I’ll have to wait until I go to Utah this summer to try them. Looks like a great product.

Evan McIntosh - 01/29/14 - 6:23pm

I’ve had one of the bars and absolutely loved it! Keep up the awesome work Josh!

Ben - 01/29/14 - 8:59pm

Gluten-free? Is it still 2009?

Really? - 01/29/14 - 10:07pm

Half the calories come from fat………….. which make it more of an indulgence then ride/training food. If gluten free is the argument ill just eat peanut butter . On a plus side its nice to see a company make real food products. Im sick of eating chemical additives for the sake of taste and shelf life.

Eyal - 01/29/14 - 11:36pm

@Ben don’t be clueless. I have celiac and some people are allergic to wheat, do you get it?

I still need to know if they are made in facility that process wheat and rye, are they?

Ben - 01/30/14 - 9:32am

@eyal, not clueless, also not trendy. Sorry to hear you are one of the 0.009% of people on a gluten free diet who actually has celiac.

Psi Squared - 01/30/14 - 9:40am

Here’s how to find out about the facility where these are produced:

@Ben: the estimated incidence of celiac disease in the US is 0.71% of the population (with a 95% confidence interval). That means there are roughly 2.2 million people with celiac disease in the US, and that not insignificant number stands no matter what you think is trendy.

Erik - 01/30/14 - 2:23pm

We’re stoked the Threshold is sponsoring the Industry Nine Cycling Team for 2014. It’s great stuff!

Rustydog - 01/30/14 - 8:10pm

Hey I love trail foodies like this. I just ordered a variety case.

ve - 01/31/14 - 12:28am

Has someone considered making a wheat-based tofu energy bar loaded with HFCS yet?

Ben - 02/02/14 - 2:32pm

@Psi The food conglomerates are not marketing to the 1% with wheat issues. It is a fad/trend just like juicing, Atkins, south beach, etc. There are undoubtedly many people who actually need these products, but that is not where the money is to be made.