Found: Siren Bicycles Fred Bars Back For A Limited Run

Siren Bicycles Fred Bar

Siren Bicycles made the first Fred Bar back in 2008 for a rig being used in the Tour Divide.  What exactly is a Fred Bar?  Well, it’s a short flat bar that clamps to the steerer tube above your stem.  It affords the rider new hand positions, plus allows for the addition of aero bars to your mountain bike.  This isn’t a product for everyone, and Siren knows that, which is why each production run is pretty limited.  If this add-on fits your needs however, drop them a line here to get your own.  Cost should run about $90 but may vary.

Tuck past the break for an image of the Fred Bar in use.

Siren Bicycles Fred Bar Setup

Comments

Mario - 01/09/14 - 1:52am

Prefect fixxie steerer

also podium

ChrisW - 01/09/14 - 5:35am

When touring, I use drop bars with clip-on aerobars for an additional and comfortable position when doing long hauls in the saddle. I also like to use a bar-bag to keep my essentials and valuables in. Unfortunately, the aero-bars and bar-bag are designed to mount in the same position on my bars, so finding a good setup to combine them is difficult. This could be a nice solution, but I’d want to mount the bar-bag on the Fred bars installed UNDER the regular stem and bars. Has anyone tried such a setup? Maybe the bar bag would end up too close to the frame and/or interfere with derailleur cables.

stato - 01/09/14 - 8:08am

As an alternative try sjs-cycles (UK), they do an accessory bar which is very similar but much cheaper. Stack height is a little taller tho.

Eddie O - 01/09/14 - 11:16am

The benefit here seems to be (I have not tried them yet, but now that they are available again…) raising the aero-bars up a few cm and allows for the aero pads to be set back slightly as well. When applying aero-bars to mtbs for ultra races those are two issues I’ve run into with fitting clients: the aero bars are too low and too far forward essentially pulling the rider off the saddle or forcing them to rotate their hip and flatten the spine to reach the aero bars. Aero bars on the mtb are more for removing the weight from the hands vs getting aero as one would thing about with TT or tri. A secondary benefit of course is freeing up space on the handle bar to attached bags, lights, gps, etc. Looking forward to testing these.

JamesG - 01/09/14 - 3:18pm

When I was setting up my bike to ride the GDMBR in 2012 I had to fight and fight to get my handlebar bag, my aero bars, and my odometer with my limited handlebar space. Even after I finally got everything on my aero bars were too far forward and too low even after using a shorter stem, just like Eddie O stated. I would have loved to have something like this. Maybe I will have to buy one the next time I head up to Banff!

topmounter - 01/09/14 - 4:05pm

I’m surprised that no one has asked how much do they weigh and is there a carbon fiber version coming yet.

greg - 01/09/14 - 6:54pm

how much do they weigh? is there a carbon version coming?
is it compatible with my campy seatpost?

Seraph - 01/09/14 - 7:41pm

Aero bars on my Solo, here I come!

DaleC - 01/12/14 - 1:22am

When I saw the pic, I guessed it’s purpose was to give touring riders additional bar space to mount lights, GPS, iPhone, etc…