Put A Cork In It! Swedish Design Concept: Solid Cork Saddle

Swedish_Concept_Design_Cork_Saddle

Industries do not advance unless artists are allowed to experiment, flourish, and grow. And while you may balk at the idea of an all natural cork saddle, this is clearly a design concept. And who knows, it may be really comfortable (we won’t discuss durability or weights here). Pop past the break for more pics and info.

Swedish_Concept_Design_Cork_Saddle

This concept is the product of Swedish, student design duo Sofia Almqvist and Carl Cyrén of the Industrial Design School of Konstfack Konstfack University of Stockholm. The saddle itself is actually CNC machined out of a solid block of cork. You have to admit, that’s kinda cool.

Swedish_Concept_Design_Cork_Saddle

Before you completely dismiss this idea, and while they not considered high-performance footwear, recall the highly successful German producer of cork-bed sandals. Now that’s comfort.

Swedish_Concept_Design_Cork_Saddle

Credit: Gessatgo Blog

Comments

Adán - 12/11/13 - 8:30am

I like the idea. I hope the start using more present designs. The turbo shape is not bad though.

Ivar - 12/11/13 - 8:44am

Hi,
there’s no such thing as “Industrial Design School of Konstfack.”
The designers are attending the Bachelor’s programme in Industrial Design at Konstfack, Stockholm, Sweden.

Thanks.

mudrock - 12/11/13 - 8:49am

Id like to see underneath. How do they attach the rails?

Steve M - 12/11/13 - 10:10am

I prefer a screw top.

David - 12/11/13 - 11:48am

Steve, LMAO.

patrik - 12/11/13 - 11:57am

There’s a reason one’s told to store their wine bottles on their side: so the cork doesn’t dry out.

What do we do here? Store bike upside-down, with saddle in bucket of water?

Bob - 12/11/13 - 11:57am

Does it come with push pins?

Slow Joe Crow - 12/11/13 - 12:17pm

Cork grips have been around for years, so the material can handle the weather. I’d be concerned about structural strength unless there is a seat pan under there.

Jacob - 12/11/13 - 12:39pm

What about high performance cork footbeds that have been the gold standard for years in the ski industry? Treat the material properly and there’s no reason it shouldn’t last. I bet it’d be super comfy and mold to your bottom.

Ghost Rider - 12/11/13 - 1:18pm

At least they copied a classic saddle shape: the Selle Italia Turbo. Bet it’s comfy as can be!

Micah Redfield - 12/11/13 - 1:19pm

#Ivar – eagle eye there, well done – post has been updated

Chris L - 12/11/13 - 1:39pm

I had cork foot beds in boots during my 10 years in the Army and they were great. Also had great luck with cork grips and a cork deck pad on my stand-up paddle board. That said, I have concerns about how well a cork saddle would hold up to the rubbing that saddles endure.

hermies - 12/11/13 - 1:58pm

you expect me to take a cork saddle on a flat bar faux fixie with a quill stem?
I dont think so, and as far i remember all of the ground break products usually look like something off of a space ship. Case in point the original rido saddle, the SMP saddle, or the dash carbon saddle. All those saddle look ugly but worked well this just looks like something someone who only talks about sustainability, wears lots of chrome gear, and name drops bike messenger names would use.

twicedead - 12/11/13 - 6:01pm

Thank you hermies for a very constructive contribution.