Bikerumor Pic Of The Day: Welcoming The Snow In Chicago

Bikerumor pic of the day sub-zero temperatures during chicago bike ride

Photo submitted by Thomas Kehrer, “Snapped this photo right when the snow started to fall this morning here in Chicago. Any pointers on how to keep my bottles from freezing? Sub zero temps aren’t going to stop me from riding this winter.”

We always love to see your photos and would like to show them to the world here on the Pic Of The Day. Send in your photo with a brief description here.

Comments

Gunnstein - 12/09/13 - 7:20am

Insulated bottles are what you need. Me too, btw.

Will - 12/09/13 - 7:41am

A splash of bourbon (or whatever else you fancy) helps keep the bottles from freezing. There should be a chart somewhere of how much you need for any given temperature.

Rubber side down!

ChrisW - 12/09/13 - 7:43am

Agreed, I have a couple of CamelBak insulated bottles, and only use them for winter riding. Start with luke warm water in them and they’ll take a long time to freeze.

Del - 12/09/13 - 8:19am

I like the CamelBak snow bowl pack with the small bladder and insulated hose. Keeps the water under the jacket and warm enough not to freeze.

Ghost Rider - 12/09/13 - 9:08am

Water around the spout of even an insulated bottle will freeze…I found that out the hard way yesterday during my snow ride. I had tried a hydration bladder earlier and my hose froze solid (what do I know? I am recent transplant to cold-weather climes from Florida!). Getting frozen spouts loose was a challenge, for sure.

Volsung - 12/09/13 - 9:10am

put em in your back jacket pocket. kept thawed for 4 hours saturday at a high of 2 below. my insulated polar bottle with water, electrolytes, and grey goose froze on the down tube.

Josh Brooks - 12/09/13 - 9:12am

when its really cold i put boiling water with a bit of cordial in my second bottle so by the time you get to it, its a pleasants temp as well as some much needed sugar. Add this in with insulated bottles and it will do you a treat.

Ben - 12/09/13 - 10:00am

@Ghost using a bladder blow the water out of the line back into the bladder after each drink will keep things flowing.

Tandumb - 12/09/13 - 10:41am

Vodka don’t freeze, comrade!

Waterglass - 12/09/13 - 10:57am

A little sugar and salt.

Bunyip - 12/09/13 - 11:26am

fill your bottles with snow…

Eastman - 12/09/13 - 11:42am

Turn your bottle upside down. Ice is less dense than water so it will float to the top (the bottom of your upside down bottle) and not clog the spout. This doesn’t prevent it from freezing solid eventually but it will buy you some time (and liquid water).

somedude - 12/10/13 - 4:09pm

Skratch labs drink mix. Lots of sugar, lots of salt=no freezing. Plus they make a hot mix