Bike Check: 44 Bikes builds Richard Sachs Wife’s “The Lovely Deb” a Do All Bike

44 Bikes D.E.B.

In the not so distant past, Kris Henry of 44 Bikes received an email from Richard Sachs.  The purpose of that communication was to commission Kris to build a do-it-all rig for his wife, The Lovely Deb.  Kris accepted the challenge, and used the opportunity to photograph the entire build.  Thanks to his foresight, we not only get see a good clean example of a custom bike, but also the process outlined in beautiful photography.

Find the Process Book PDF here.

An ISSUU version here if PDF’s aren’t your thing.

Oh, and who could forget the Flickr set.

Enjoy.

Comments

Steve Worcester - 11/29/13 - 6:56pm

A delicious build no doubt, but why didn’t he build it himself, he certainly is a capable builder? Maybe to help a friend out? Maybe she wanted something not from him (I understand that)?

And the photos were top both. Excellent build too.

Devin - 11/29/13 - 8:57pm

Nicely done.

My absolute favorite shot is the Starrett hole saw with a bunch of missing teeth. That’s some real frame-building right there, making a gorgeous bike with real tools- not dropping off your tubes at the local laser cutter (if you happen to have one.)

MB - 11/29/13 - 11:07pm

@Steve – I’m sure she’s got a quiver by RS already. And he DOES have a multi-year (12? 15?) waitlist already from paying customers…

Ajax - 11/30/13 - 1:50am

One good way to make horrible miters is to use hole saws with multiple broken teeth. Color me not impressed on that one.

RickT - 11/30/13 - 4:12am

Are those Stan’s Iron Cross wheels with the decals peeled off? The rims look super clean without a braking surface or logos.

MB - 11/30/13 - 12:24pm

@Ajax – you are silly, and must not be familiar with his work or quality

Seraph - 11/30/13 - 12:50pm

Should have opted for a short-cage XO mech over the WiFli derailleur.

david french - 11/30/13 - 3:44pm

You know that you’re a good frame builder when Richard Sachs comissions you! :-O

AA - 11/30/13 - 8:56pm

Ok, nondrop setup requested, but yet those are drop bars are they not? Also he said a Maltese was gonna ride with her so I assume they decided it’d be better in a rear rack, because it doesn’t have a front one.

DaleC - 12/01/13 - 1:57am

Missing teeth won’t screw up a cut, especially if you use a slow speed.

Bent teeth are a problem.

K. Henry - 12/01/13 - 8:31pm

Thanks for the kind words as well as the critical. It was wonderful to collaborate with Richard to build his wife a bicycle for all seasons and conditions.

Regarding the initial spec: when Richard first contacted me, the build was originally to be a surprise. But as the conversation progressed, it was evident and crucial that we include her in the conversation. This is when the build turned into what you see above. What she really wanted was a drop bar, tig welded, modern “road” bike. And it was evident that she would be using it for a variety of purposes, so versatility was on the top of the list. What’s wonderful about working with clients can be how the build takes shape as the conversation takes place. What was originally envisioned can sometimes turn into something exactly as stated or something completely different.

It’s my job to listen to what the client wants, and deliver what they need. This build was no exception.

Regarding concerns of missing teeth with accuracy of cuts w/ hole saws: I take quality, precision and process very seriously. Precision of miters (in this case chainstay’s to dropout) has a bit more to do with the accuracy of your setup, tooling used and methodology deployed. Rate of feed, speed of spindle, roundness and sharpness of the hole saw have a bit more to do with the precision of the actual miter itself. The faster the feed and speed, the more likely the hole saw is to grab the tube, tear it. As some have mentioned, the hole saw in the picture is missing teeth (2 teeth to be exact in succession). Due to the sharpness and roundness of the entirety of the hole saw, this is still ok in my book due to the slower feed and slower spindle speeds I typically use. Hole saws have a lifespan like any consumable. That one in particular is still very much sharp and round, and I have many more when I feel as though it no longer is fit for the job.

My best – Kris @ 44 Bikes

1Pro - 12/01/13 - 9:26pm

“The numerical number “44” and the word mark “Fortyfour” are regis-
tered trademarks with the United States Patents and Trademarks Office”

i guess we all just skip our 44th birthdays?

nice work though. but tell me that is not Debs saddle height please.

Alex Kio - 12/02/13 - 10:12am

Beautiful build and beautiful setup. Custom builds at the end of the day do have to be a work between the builder and client and I think this elaborates that wonderfully.

Also, I love it when the designers/fabricators/owners comment on articles about their products!

K. Henry - 12/02/13 - 12:13pm

@1Pro: The trademarks are only in respect to bicycles thus you’re all safe with regards to birth dates. Other U.S. builders attempting to name their company starting with “44″, that’s a different story.

The above image makes the saddle height appear a bit higher as it is taken at an angle with a wider angle lens. Her saddle height from center of bb to top of saddle is approximately 69cm. This image does a better job of showing saddle height to bar height for the record. Nicely balanced IMO. Or should I say ATMO.

My best – Kris @ 44 Bikes

K11 - 12/03/13 - 1:06pm

very nice frame. clean build. (also glad to see that ugly enve logo missing on the fork)