Upstand Up and Running, Fine Tunes Magnetic Carbon Kickstand

Upstand Up and Running, Fine Tunes Magnetic Carbon Kickstand

Regardless of how you feel towards kickstands on a road bike, judging by the number of questions I used to get in the bike shop about them, there are people out there that want one. Case in point? The carbon fiber, collapsible Upstand. First spotted about a year ago, the Upstand has been upgraded and offers the bike propping ability for bicycles without a kickstand mount. Got a 20″ wheeled folding or recumbent bike? There’s an Upstand for that. There are also sizes for 26″/700c and 29″ wheels as well.

Created by the same folks behind 2×2 Cycles, Upstand is building the kickstands in the US and is looking for some support.

Built sort of like a collapsing tent pole, the Upstand uses an axial magnet to connect to a steel tab mounted under the quick release. When not in use the Upstand is simply disconnected from the tab and stored in your jersey pocket, seat bag, or in the new UpClip – a bracket that mounts under your water bottle cage.

Upstand Up and Running, Fine Tunes Magnetic Carbon Kickstand

Already a good portion of the way there with 10 days to go, the Upstand is being offered through a Kickstarter to provide funding for continued production in the US.

Upstand Up and Running, Fine Tunes Magnetic Carbon Kickstand

Upstands start at $39, which includes the UpClip to store the Upstand on your frame.

Comments

AlanM - 11/25/13 - 12:53pm

A kickstand on Kickstarter. Of course.

topcheese - 11/25/13 - 12:55pm

Finally a kickstand for my Fred Sled! I couldn’t imagine leaning my bike up against a wall.
Money well spent! (he said with heavy sarcasm.)

The Conductor - 11/25/13 - 1:30pm

I can see a market for this, like someone who finally took delivery of a RS they waited 8 years for and don’t feel like touching up perfect JB paint with hobby enamel.

Some treat bikes like precious artwork, others like tools. To each their own.

It’s not for me, but I have no problem with it.

BRADMANN - 11/25/13 - 1:35pm

BREAKING NEWS: Longest-running shop joke becomes reality. More at 6.

Topmounter - 11/25/13 - 2:24pm

Question:

Why don’t they integrate a high pressure pump into the shaft and side-step the “Nice Kickstand LOL” stigma?

Josh - 11/25/13 - 2:27pm

Honestly, if I was at REI or a bike shop, and this was sitting there for less than $30, and I was in the buy-something-for-my-bike-cuz-it’ll-give-me-a-break-from-thinking-about-life-for-2-minutes-when-I-get-home-and-it’s-one-more-thing-that-makes-the-bike-uniquely-”mine-” mode, I’d buy it.

The One Who Ropes - 11/25/13 - 2:43pm

Now, if they’ll just make one for my unicycle.

RUSTYDOGG - 11/25/13 - 3:41pm

I think its a neat design. But who is going to use it?? Am I really going to carry this item with me so that I don’t have to worry about leaning my bike against something? The only time I have ever not had something to lean my bike on was during a road side flat fix and this isn’t going to work for that.

satisFACTORYrider - 11/25/13 - 3:55pm

lay it on the ground cuz gravity is free then use this as a one-hitter.

Travis - 11/25/13 - 3:58pm

Why is there a Kickstarter for a product that has been on the market for a year?

professorVelo - 11/25/13 - 4:51pm

Actually, the one place I can see this being used is location bike photography, but…

MaLóL - 11/25/13 - 5:33pm

I like for bike photography. If the price would be like 10$, and made of a cheaper material, i still would not buy it. Not just because it’s very expensive, but because i would seriously think I’m more stupid that what i thought.

ve - 11/25/13 - 5:36pm

@Travis

That’s my problem with it. They’re just taking advantage of Kickstarter as a market place, just like everything on kickstarter is. You either save $5 or get a sticker for being the supporter of an already funded project. It’s turned into a method of exposure and a marketplace.

TheLeaner - 11/25/13 - 6:39pm

Perfect! And Christmas is right around the corner!!! Problem solved…….

Jason K - 11/26/13 - 6:08am

Normally, I’d shrug and ignore this, but some of the claims in the video ticked me off. The guy claims to be a lifelong cyclist, but he obviously isn’t. Look at his form—he’s all splayed legs and locked arms.

This guy also claims to be an engineer. I checked on LinkedIn…he has an undergrad degree in business. He’s not an engineer. It always ticks me off when people casually deem themselves engineers. Becoming an engineer is hard work, and you can’t just decide that you are one. Well, you can, but then it’ll take you two years to design a stick.

/rant

Jak0zilla - 11/26/13 - 9:53am

I’ll bet that it’s better to use to whack a dog that’s chasing you than a pump is. Fewer moving parts.

Ham-planet - 12/01/13 - 5:32am

@Jason K
Actually, in many countries, ‘Engineer’ is a protected professional title à la ‘lawyer’, ‘architect’ or ‘doctor’. Don’t have a Master’s in Engineering? You can’t call yourself an engineer.

Erik - 05/21/14 - 1:35pm

@Travis

Hey Travis, I work at the Upstanding Bicycle Company and I realize this is an old article, but I wanted to address some of the comments in case anyone else stumbles upon it. Yes, we launched the Upstand a year prior to the Kickstarter campaign, but we had not been able to actually do much with it due to lack of funding. Kickstarter offered us an avenue to actually get some exposure and funding.

@Jason K

Garrett has been a lifelong cyclist, which you can gladly dispute with him if you truly desire. You can also look at http://www.2x2Cycles.com and see the racking system we have for motorcycles. The Upstand was developed alongside the 2×2 Cycles rack, so it didn’t take “two years to design a stick.” We are always trying to refine our products however so that they are better for our customers.

Frances - 05/23/14 - 9:53pm

I do not understand all this judging and hating re: kickstands. I just bought a really nice bike and am excited to start riding it tomorrow. It is my first modern road bike. But we “casual” (or less affluent) bikers are used to being able to prop our bikes up securely with a kickstand. I would really rather not risk having my nice, expensive bike tip over and crash onto the ground. With a kickstand one does not need to look around for something to lean the bike against. I never understood why folks with nice bikes never seemed to have a kickstand. When purchasing my bike I was told a kickstand will not fit on it. I will be using my road bike to commute to work much more than to do recreational riding and it will often be carrying panniers, and it just makes sense to be able to prop it up securely when it is not being used. I like products to be functional and a kickstand on my bike just seems like a practical accessory for the hours when it is idle.

Chris Combs - 10/09/14 - 3:39pm

Jeez! Nasty people-buy it or don’t but why the personal attacks?
I’m going out to make one out of bamboo right now.
Great idea!