Want to capture all of your bicycle exploits in glorious HD, but are tired of running out of battery just before things start to get good? If that’s the case, you may want to check out the new Drift Ghost-S as it claims the longest battery life on the market while building in a number of high end features. It’s easy to be overwhelmed by the constant march of technology especially in the world of action cameras, but thanks to that need for constant improvement the current crop of cameras including the Ghost-S put useability and image quality at an all time high. Continuing on where the Drift HD Ghost left off, the Ghost-S has a similar design but beefs up the internals.
Hit the record button after the jump.
Built with a similar form to the JVC Adixxion we recently reviewed, the Ghost-S is all about building in the most advanced features while keeping everything super easy to use. Unlike the JVC though, the Drift camera features a 300° rotating lens to make positioning the camera so that the footage is level a breeze. The lens itself also gets a boost with a new 7 element aspherical design which when combined with the new Sony CMOS sensor and a processor that is twice as fast as the original, makes for a camera capable of 1080p at 60fps and up to 12mp stills.
Like the Ghost, the Ghost-S uses a 2 inch LCD screen covered in Corning Gorilla Glass that allows for live preview or reviewing your footage and navigating the menu. Changing to new settings like normal, vivid, or low light mode on the camera is easily done through the buttons on the top of the body with low light mode automatically adjusting for light conditions. Other settings include video, photo, photoburst, or timelapse.
Additional features include Clone Mode where up to 5 cameras can be synced over Wi Fi to operate in tandem with the original camera without having to manually configure them, and Video Tagging which records a continuous buffered loop. Do something you want to record, then tag it – which records the previous segment up to 5 minutes and saves it while the rest of the loop is discarded.
The Drift uses a 1/4-20 threaded mount on the side (or bottom depending on how you look at it) but to keep the camera from rotating, Drift mounts have a serrated circle that mates with the camera. The single mount is why the rotating lens is important, so you can get the shot no matter the angle. The Ghost-S is compatible with all of the mounts of the Ghost, making it simple to set up on just about anything that moves.
To keep everything sealed and provide the 3m waterproofing without an additional case (196 feet with the additional dive case), the Ghost-S uses a magnesium alloy door that threads closed. Inside you’ll find the battery compartment, Micro SD card, USB and HDMI ports, and an external mic port. Drift sells a connector hatch that allows access to the USB port and the microphone port while the hatch is installed.
Fitted with a 1700mAh battery, the Ghost-S will provide up to 3.5 hours of filming at 30fps. Still not enough juice? Buy a spare battery and swap it out on your ride.
Like the original, the Ghost-S includes a rechargeable two way remote that indicates the camera mode with different colored LEDs. The remotes can control multiple Drift cameras at the same time, or you can use the free Android or Apple Drift App to control the camera over Wi Fi even up to 60 feet away.
- 1080p at 60fps – Increased video performance to capture every detail.
- 3.5 hour Battery Life – Best in class, record more and worry less.
- Scene Mode – Choose between Normal, Vivid or Low-Light mode.
- Slow Shutter Mode – Dramatically improves low light performance.
- Clone Mode – Sync & Control four cameras from one master camera.
- Bit Rate – Adjust the video compression from low to high for best possible resolution.
- Drift Ghost-S
- Two-Way Remote Control
- Rechargeable Battery
- Universal Clip
- Goggle Mount
- Connector Hatch
- Surface Mount Kit
- Wrist Strap
- USB Cable & Mic Ext. Cable
- Camera Weight: 171g
- Camera Dimensions: 105 (L) x 52 (W) x 33 (D) mm
- Remote Weight: 22g
- Remote Dimensions: 59 (L) x 48 (W) x 12 (D) mm
- Shoots stunning video including: 1080p at 60fps, 960p at 60fps, 720p at 120fps.
- “Scene Mode” and “Slow Shutter Mode” for improved low-light performance.
- Built-in LCD screen.
- 12MP, 8MP, and 5MP still photos.
- Timelapse photography with intervals from 0.5s to 1min.
- Two-Way Remote control with LED indicators.
- 7-element aspherical lens, leading-edge processor, and Sony™ CMOS sensor for crystal-clear footage.
- Adjustable Bit Rate.
- Flashback Video Tagging, Clone Mode, and Car DVR mode.