New Quarter-20 K-EDGE Camera Mounts Released, But Garmin VIRB Camera Requirements Surprise

k-edge-garmin-virb-gobig-camera-mount

You’ll recall our coverage of the new K-EDGE Quarter-20 mounts. And you may be sold on K-EDGE after our factory tour and the increased video quality allowed by the GO BIG mounts in all their Made-In-Boise-USA, CNC machined 6061, lifetime guaranteed, gleaming glory.

Well, now the Quarter-20 mounts have hit the market and, not coincidentally, so has the new Garmin VIRB that we showed you at InterBike (and here). But if you want the K-EDGE “edge” for the VIRB you’d better read on…

k-edge-garmin-virb-gobig-camera-mount

The long and short of it – the Garmin VIRB’s proprietary mount is accompanied by only a GoPro-compatible-mount adapter. So, before you rush out to buy your K-EDGE, know your options:

• Buy K-EDGE’s GO BIG mount for GoPro (and now Garmin)

-or if you already have a “Quarter-20” mount

• Buy either K-EDGE’s adapter ($30) or Garmin’s adapter ($7) that will fit your Virb to any “Quarter-20” mount (i.e., the standard tripod 1/4”-20 threaded mount)

k-edge-garmin-virb-gobig-camera-mount

…and now you know.

Comments

Steven - 11/11/13 - 8:18pm

What a kludge. The mount options make the Virb even more clumsy and ginormous than it already is!

MissedThePoint - 11/11/13 - 10:06pm

People may question if that’s a police spotlight on your bike.

hermies - 11/12/13 - 5:28am

how many people use action cameras on their road bike is my question?

Gaz - 11/12/13 - 8:07am

hermies,

Quite a few use them on their bikes, especially for commuting.

However these aren’t just for road bikes, I use several of them on my mountain bikes and get great quality footage.

M.D - 11/12/13 - 9:16am

bulky

Ck - 11/12/13 - 9:46am

I dislike how much height the mounting solutions add to the camera. It sticks out way too far from whatever it’s been mounted to.

nick_outdoors - 11/12/13 - 10:59am

It seems the bar clamp could be rotated forward 70 – 90 degrees and the camera could still be positioned level, bring the stack height down by quite a bit (2-3cm).

Good clamp, poor execution.

Velo Zephyr - 11/12/13 - 1:23pm

Down periscope!

K-EDGE - 11/12/13 - 2:46pm

Great feedback here. Steven- is Kluge a good thing? just kidding, sort of- but the point of the article is “it’s a GoPro mount that also works for Garmin’s Virb” (so it’s not like the mount had the option of how to attach to the Garmin). nick_outdoors, you are exactly right. Rotating this K-EDGE mount 90 degrees forward would put the Virb nice and low. That’s how we run it here for the EDGE. We were simply trying to show the product (K-EDGE Mount) with this photo and the correct position was awkward for showcasing the mount. M.D.- It’s a closeup photo of a 24 gram mount. Steven- I thought so too, until I saw the Virb in person. You may want to wait until then for final judgement. hermies- you’d be extremely surprised, but as Gaz states it’s commuters, mountain bikers (and racers) who seem to love them.

Great reading all your comments. Keep em coming!

Bmart73 - 11/12/13 - 9:04pm

What is the black adaptor between the VIRB and the K-edge in photo 2? A link would be handy. I can’t find it by googling.
Cheers

rolf - 12/10/13 - 10:32am

planning to purchase a virb and like the K-edge mount options. like previous post: what do i need to mount my virb onto K-edge product?

Glen - 06/13/14 - 9:09am

Would really like to know what mount is used to connect the Virb to the K-Edge. I’ve got both and cannot find a mount that will fit both sides.

Glen - 06/13/14 - 9:15am

What mount is used between the Garmin and the K-Edge mount. I’ve got both and cannot find a mount that matches this.

Brad - 06/25/14 - 8:39pm

Glen, the mount you are looking for should have come with the garmin. I just got one and the mount you are looking for was in with the other mounts. Hope this helps.

Paul - 07/07/14 - 7:37pm

Have ordered a K-EDGE GO BIG Pro 1/4-20 Universal Camera Handlebar/Saddle Mount
From Amazon to mount a Virb. Will I need any additional adapters to mount Virb to handlebar other than what’s included with virb?

Randall - 07/27/14 - 9:49am

Is there a K Edge mount that I could use for both the Virb and my garmin edge 1000?