Sportiiiis Heads Up Display Gets Cliiiimb App, Shows Real Time Strava Segment Progress

cliiiimb-pro-real-time-strava-segment-display

Strava’s game-ified cycling like nothing else before it, turning virtually any hill, flat or descent into a leaderboard. The only “problem” with it was you didn’t know if you toppled a segment’s record until you finished the ride. Not any more.

4iiii’s new Cliiiimb app pulls live segment data as you ride and relays it to their Sportiiiis heads up display, shown above. No more wondering whether that extra bit of leg and lung crushing effort put you at the top, or if you’re far enough off to just save your legs for another day.

In addition to the app and the sunglasses attachment, you’ll need their Viiiiva dual Bluetooth/ANT+ transmitter heart rate strap to bridge your ANT+ sensors and display to the Bluetooth-only iPhone. The Cliiiimb app syncs with Sportiiis visual or Voiiiice audio to show and tell you when the segment is approaching, when it starts and how you’re doing against the person you told the app to compare you to. The whole idea is to keep your eyes on the road while giving you an entirely new way to use Strava.

Video demo and more below…

Alana Baxter from 4iiiis, who we spoke with for our ANT+ tech article, said Cliiimb app comes out on Nov 15. It’s a free app, but you”ll need their hardware to use it safely. They don’t really want you looing at the app while you’re trying to crush a segment in real time.

Two kits will be offered, both include the Viiiiva HR monitor. The Cliiiimb Pro shown at the top for $199 which includes both the speaker and LED light indicators, available November 25. The standard Cliiiimb kit gets just the Voiiiice audio transmitter for $129 and will be available in 2014.

Comments

edmundo - 11/10/13 - 12:24pm

or you can use the goal feature in your garmin

CMSF - 11/10/13 - 1:20pm

OK, I’m sorry, but this is just too fing much. This is like some cyborg overkill. Embrace humanity, just go out and enjoy your ride.

aaron - 11/10/13 - 1:36pm

Can we get a cyborg killer voice, something like, “approaching target”, “ETA 6seconds” “target eliminated”, that would be cool.

Mac - 11/10/13 - 1:44pm

COME ON!
This strava thing is getting way way out of hand. Its bad enough when a rider come flying up behind you yelling STRAVA STRAVA STRAVA GET OUT OF THE WAY now that same rider will be even more pissed off when they can see in real time thats its your fault they didnt get a stupid imaginary medal. I can only imagine how many more Strava corners will appear on our local trails.
Strava do all of us a favor before your program kills more cyclist and shut down. You have ruined the sport of cycing

David - 11/10/13 - 2:12pm

@aaron; they should totally do the Dalek “EX-TER-MI-NATE!” voice when taking top spot. For reference purposes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxD-5z_xHBU.

(hides behind couch)

Damien - 11/10/13 - 2:31pm

If this gets people on a bike more, I’m all for it. And the technology is cool, even if it does appeal more to the D* than your normal fun-loving rider. And +1 to the cyborg voice.

CT - 11/10/13 - 3:13pm

Gaming segments and all on a Sunday ride, it sounds like fun. But training? I doubt anyone that is actually following a disciplined training will find this too too beneficial.

Mattbyke - 11/10/13 - 3:52pm

If your paying attention to a heads up display , then your just not going hard enough .
Besides , I sweat enough to kill it.

ben - 11/10/13 - 7:27pm

I ain’t takin all this HGH for nothin. Bring it on!

xcgeek - 11/10/13 - 8:04pm

SHANAGINS

james - 11/10/13 - 8:36pm

Hehe.. great, why bother going out for a ride, may as well just sit on a turbo that simulates segments and reduce it all to a load of digital boll0cks and downloaded data to post online to boost my e-ego. After all for some it’s just about smashing it and the suffering and making sure everyone knows what you do, etc.

rico - 11/10/13 - 8:46pm

Looks fun. Strava is cool, it’s the idiots who use it to replace racing or just don’t respect casual riders that are not cool. Smart segments, going at a dead time, and using a spotter for blind corners can help. There are ways to use it responsibly imo.

I agree though in a way about it being dangerous in some conditions. It’s almost like there is a learning curve where people start off using it like an idiot, and then realize later they need to approch it with respect to all others. There should be some sort of ground rules or warning videos for new users.

Either way, I rode and raced long before the www and social media even existed and will always do it. Strava is just one more thing to spice it up which is kainda fun imo, as long as you filter out the idiots. I have had to block some meat heads who constantly try to challenge my koms. It’s like they get mad when you take koms and then have to add you and try to get all competitive. There is enough of that in real racing, but there is also face to face respect in racing. On these networks ther is a lot of shit talking. How do people know if you targeted a kom or just bagged it by mistake? Something about targeting them is a little [deleted].

rico - 11/10/13 - 8:51pm

Also digital epo (from the site or using excel) is running rampant in our area. There was a cat 2 racer who was cleaning up like all of the koms in a 100 mile radius. He was juicing all his rides. What a sissy.

Eric@505 - 11/10/13 - 9:40pm

Truly, this must be the fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse…

Paul - 11/10/13 - 11:17pm

I am hoping digital juicing kills Strava.

nick_outdoors - 11/10/13 - 11:19pm

I expected more.

Jack - 11/11/13 - 12:26am

What stops some annoying idiot (or me) from going out on a motorbike and just edging up EVERY strava test. This would only help me.. I mean them… keep it plausible. I am a sad little man who lives in a dark reality.

Keith - 11/11/13 - 8:47am

What’s a Strava?

Mike - 11/11/13 - 9:23am

“Use the force Luke”

Star - 11/11/13 - 9:59am

I am with Paul.

Elite Consumer, M.D. - 11/11/13 - 10:06am

What’s with all the hate? I find the more I have technology interpreting my ride for me, the more self-confident I am when I compare myself to others. After all, many others don’t even use a GoPro, or Strava, or GPS, or an iPhone, or even a lowly bike ride meter. If I have all those accessories in one device, I am the leader of the pack and nobody can beat me when I’m reveling in my daydreams and fantasies.

Looks like a lot of people are just too poor to afford these wondrous devices. Maybe you poverty candidates should stop slacking and riding, and get busy making money. Being an e-rider is where it’s at in 2013. Only food-stamp-using fools ride trails on bikes without paying attention to or using electronic gadgets. Those Luddites clearly don’t count in the MTB world. They probably don’t even use facebook or twitter! Ignore them! They’re just trying to prevent progress in our sport!

Mattbyke - 11/11/13 - 10:58am

No face book. No twitter. No internet in my home. No tv. No cable.
More time to ride. Fear the Luddite !!

Reformed Roadie - 11/11/13 - 1:11pm

@ Mike – LOL!

What’s next, mounting a helmet came pointing backwards and having a realtime HUD in your glasses of that?

@Mattbyke…you must me a hoot at cocktail parties.

Petr - 11/11/13 - 2:07pm

Strava should add ant+ support to mobile Strava. This would be much more useful then this feature.

Mattbyke - 11/11/13 - 2:26pm

Reformed . I go off my good looks LOL.

Jeff - 11/11/13 - 4:04pm

Mattbyke – Nice…and if that doesn’t work, you can always fall back on your sense of irony.

Adrian - 11/12/13 - 2:50pm

Another way for elite cyclists to feel even more self important. BTW it hasn’t happened yet but I’m not getting out of the way of some dick yelling Strava ! at me, in the same way I don’t move over for idiots flashing their lights at me.

IzzyODT - 04/08/14 - 2:12pm