Spy Shot! Prototype Wheels Manufacturing Pressfit 30 Eccentric Bottom Bracket

Wheels-Manufacturing-PFBB30 Pressfit-30-eccentric-bottom-bracket

Not a whole lotta details on this one yet, but it’s pretty easy to figure out what it’ll do. Wheels Manufacturing is working on a PFBB30 Eccentric Bottom Bracket that’ll use the larger BB hole to give you room to move your 24mm spindled crankset around. It’s shown here with a road crankset, but the idea is to let you convert any PFBB30 frame to a singlespeed.

Pricing and availability are all TBD, and we’re guessing this is a pretty rough looking test mule given how polished their finished products usually look.

Comments

Matt M. - 10/31/13 - 9:29am

So basically a direct rip-off of the Beer Components BB… Pathetic.

King County - 10/31/13 - 9:40am

Wheels Mfg makes top quality products. This isn’t new, though. Otghers have made it, and some internally geared bikes have been coming with this feature, such as the Raleigh Cadent I11.

King County - 10/31/13 - 9:42am

Also.. What is really clever is the standard Euro bb that works as an eccentric, (when using a 2 piece crank). Phil Wood makes it, but it is a fortune. Another company also makes one, but i forgot who.

hoser - 10/31/13 - 9:59am

Problem Solvers makes the PF30; BEER’s is for BB30 shells. The more, the merrier, I think.

CX Hotdog - 10/31/13 - 10:10am

BEER Comp has been making both BB30 and PF30 versions for quite some time!
Get the original at beercomponents.com.

0000 - 10/31/13 - 11:07am

PS continue to copy. The BEER PF30 and BB30 eccentrics are tried and true, and come with Phil Wood bearings. Not to mention that they have more sophisticated machining and are probably lighter.

CBD - 10/31/13 - 11:13am

@Hoser, BEER makes both PF30 and BB30. Both are solid products, designed and made in the US.

drew and not u - 10/31/13 - 11:50am

It will be nice to have these available from a manufacturer with good distribution rather than a small, obscure company that LBSs can’t really easily access. Hopefully they’ll hit a pricepoint under $100. Those Beer Components BBs are nice, but $160?? Singlespeeds are supposed to be cheap!

pfs - 10/31/13 - 12:23pm

Single speeds are only cheap until you have one. Then all the blingy parts start showing up.

ChrisW - 10/31/13 - 4:06pm

To follow up on the previous comment about the “standard Euro bb that works as an eccentric” – this is referring to the Trickstuff Exzentriker which fits into a standard threaded (BSA) BB: http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/exzentriker_KL.php – the one I have works very nicely.

Leftsidedriver - 10/31/13 - 5:23pm

I guess Problem Solvers never heard of Prior Art!

anon - 10/31/13 - 7:11pm

haven’t used the beer components one but have heard good things about it. the problem solvers one is complete garbage. most people aren’t aware but fsa also makes one that is reasonably priced and works well

Ajax - 10/31/13 - 9:56pm

The Beer components BB sucks. It’s loose. It squeaks. No way will I get one.

Wheels Manufacturing eccentric BB can’t get here fast enough.

King County - 11/01/13 - 9:24am

To “drew and not u”, Wheels MFG is easy to access. If your LBS cannot get their product, then they are not a competent shop.

bruno - 11/01/13 - 2:32pm

I raced a BEER EBB30 last year in a full cyclocross season. After multiple hours of use it would slip, until I used carbon grease on it and tightened it more. It never creaked. It is really helpful for allowing changing of gear ratios and chain length on race day. It is an awesome component designed by a CNC engineer who races bikes and I expect the PF30 version he designed works just as well.

K11 - 11/01/13 - 3:48pm

everyone talking about BEER components, that’s the first thing i thought of when seeing the picture.

drew and not u - 11/01/13 - 4:13pm

@ King Country: That’s what I was saying, easy to get from wheels vs from BEER.

1speedlos - 11/06/13 - 12:18pm

I’ve had no problems with my BEER Components EBB, which I raced the High Cascades 100 on this year. Incredibly dusty conditions, and while it did start to creak a bit towards the end, it was impossible to hear over EVERYONE’S creaky bikes!
Cleaned, greased, torqued- no noise whatsoever.
Now using it for CX on my XTJ- still no issues. Phil Wood bearings are as smooth as day one.
I don’t doubt that WM will make a solid product, but I wouldn’t change a thing.