Kickstarter: The Infinity Seat, Love Your Saddle

Infinity SeatThe Infinity Seat may look heart shaped but consider it a peace dove extended towards your derriere. Designed by a triathlete enthusiast and chiropractor, this uni-sex saddle is designed to ” minimize contact pressure and redistribute body weight for increased performance and comfort.”

This is accomplished by creating a large enough carved out section for the pubic bones to rest in and thereby transfer the majority of of the rider’s weight to the buttocks.

Aside from improved comfort, creater Dr. Vincent Marcel also claims that this design offers better ventilation and will increase overall performance. But wait, wait, there’s more. Even with steel rails, the Infinity Seat weighs a scant 205 grams.

Saddles on Kickstarter start at $100. Get yours here.

Comments

Ben - 10/31/13 - 9:40am

I have to admit I was quite skeptical about this seat when I first saw the image. But after watching the video it actually makes a lot of sense. I might just buy one.

Quickie - 10/31/13 - 9:56am

After watching the video, it looks like a lot of the rider’s weight is supported by their butt crack instead of sit bones. Does the manufacturer have a preference between KY or AstroGlide when using this saddle?

3G - 10/31/13 - 9:57am

@Quickie. Ha!

MG - 10/31/13 - 9:58am

Great idea! I will say that the little nub part between where the sit bones get me nervous…… You know

Toss My Salad - 10/31/13 - 10:30am

So my sit bones go in the drop out section and I then can get a little anal stimulation from a saddle…

Nice sales pitch… I’m a Chiropractor let me me bend you over and sell this to you!

Seriously one of the worst Kickstaters I’ve seen… now get lucky!

vivavelo - 10/31/13 - 10:43am

I’ve been looking for a new saddle. This isn’t it.

Ryan - 10/31/13 - 10:48am

I would have to be able to try one before purchase; I can’t afford a $100 miss. That said, I am very interested in how this saddle would do on the trails. I can take some pretty heavy, unexpected hits throwing me hard into my saddle. I would hate to break the support rim, shoving that center point where nothing has any business going.

Ron G. - 10/31/13 - 11:06am

Resting on your glutes instead of using your sit-bones is going to provide an uncertain interface between you and the saddle, leading to lower back issues. That dude just needs to learn to use a real saddle properly. Sliding forward? Don’t do that. Angle the nose up a little more, and maybe spend a little less time on the aero bars.

Gregg - 10/31/13 - 11:10am

Riding through a mud puddle will make it look like you crapped your pants.

CyclingIndustryDesigner - 10/31/13 - 11:15am

Wow… Not sure i’m sold on this. With all the blood flow studies and reducing pressure on the central sections, now you’re asking people to put even more pressure in that area? Tell me how long it takes for your nuts to fall off.

Ryan - 10/31/13 - 11:21am

@Gregg, HA!

Matthew - 10/31/13 - 11:26am

“Designed by a triathlete enthusiast and chiropractor…” I can’t think of a worse endorsement for a saddle design.

Bill - 10/31/13 - 11:38am

Sadly, saddle gimmicks will always sell (this one got 4x funding on kickstarter already).

It’s geared at the uneducated and inexperienced. There’s a reason they use the term “seat” over and over in the video.

Ride your bike more and like Ron said, learn to position the saddle better and these gimmicks will end up in a pile of busted “seats” instead of the well worn Selle Italia’s in the video :)

Robo - 10/31/13 - 11:38am

haha that’s exactly where I stopped reading…

Robo - 10/31/13 - 11:39am

….at the triathlete/chiropractor part

K - 10/31/13 - 12:04pm

Any physician that uses the terms “butt bones,” “seat” and “butt muscles” will not be selling me a SADDLE. I’m all for bios-culpting materials to create performance products in cycling, but this greatly misses the mark…….and will still sell to a bunch of triathletes looking for any performance edge they can get……

Rich85GTS - 10/31/13 - 12:16pm

Hmm…nice idea for a saddle but it looks a little flimsy and might break sooner than other similar saddles..

Jimmie - 10/31/13 - 12:48pm

Will it at least kiss me before the violation begins.

NotAMachinist - 10/31/13 - 1:15pm

@Jimmie,

No kiss, and it won’t call you in the morning, but it does come with flowers.

Greg - 10/31/13 - 1:18pm

I don’t see why they didn’t/couldn’t put a cover over the whole thing..

NDE - 10/31/13 - 1:21pm

I’m more worried about the cutting off of blood flow to my legs. Based on the video the seat will be supported on the butt mussels and for me that spells numb feet.

JonDangerFTW - 10/31/13 - 1:26pm

Designed by a chiropractor? Are you sure he’s not a proctologist instead?

Fit Pro - 10/31/13 - 1:28pm

As someone that performs bike fits daily, I can say this saddle is going to create a host of potential problems. This could be anything from compression of the femoral artery/vein, obturator artery and sciatic nerve. Also it could greatly decrease pelvic stability that could result in back pain and contribute to poor cycling posture. Not to mention that saddle width should be decided by ones pelvic structure. He may get away with this saddle doing sprint triathlons but let’s see long term reports from 4-5 hour rides.

cracked-frame - 10/31/13 - 2:52pm

BikeSnobNYC says it all about this.

fibrediet - 10/31/13 - 5:23pm

welcome back – saddleco…

uglyyeti - 10/31/13 - 5:48pm

Kind of supports you by the “butt muscles” like a toilet seat.

lj - 10/31/13 - 6:23pm

maybe if he tried try some real bike shorts his ass wouldn’t hurt as much
(he is just wearing nike spandex (no pad).

LULZ - 10/31/13 - 7:48pm

But y’all, his video has such inspiring music! Did he rip that from Biggest Loser?

Ajax - 10/31/13 - 9:46pm

A chiropractor. Umm, no thanks.

Dr. Nick - 10/31/13 - 10:50pm

Anyone got a clue what he’s a Doctor of?

Not medicine or biomechanics seemingly…

John0259 - 10/31/13 - 10:53pm

I think this is more better stuff to pay attention and makes a lot more sense.Check that out guys!

Eric@505 - 10/31/13 - 10:55pm

OK. Just to recap:

1) Chiropractors are “D.C.’s” (not M.D.’s); they don’t go to medical school; they go to chiropractic school. They are not physicians, though they often refer to themselves as “chiropractic physicians.”
2) Triathlete enthusiast? Seriously? Res Ipsa Loquitor (it speaks for itself.) LOLZ. If you were a serious masters trail runner, would you buy “running shoes designed by a triathlete enthusiast”? Exactly.
3) @Fit Pro: It’s the pudendal nerves and arteries that are (potentially) compromised w/ cycling, not the femoral or obturator. You cannot compress your femoral or obturator vessels on a bike saddle. Anatomically impossible.
4) @Matthew: Awesome comment!
5) Ditto to everything people said ‘potential violation-wise.’ Yikes!
6) And finally: ahahahahahahahahaha! : )

Matt - 11/22/13 - 3:22pm

All of those guys have a terrible fit on the bike…do you really want to trust someone who doesn’t even know how to properly be positioned on the bike?