Cannondale Trigger 29er Carbon Through Testing, Now Under Enduro Team Riders

While our money’s still on them releasing a 650B version eventually, Cannondale’s just put their new Trigger 29er Carbon under factory riders Ben Cruz and Jerome Clementz. The choice is interesting for two reasons: First, neither of them are the tallest guys in the world. Second, Clementz is obviously pretty comfortable on a 26″ bike since he’s reigning Enduro World Series champ. But, as they say in the video, the bigger wheels just roll over the chundery stuff better. And with a few other brands, like Niner and BMC, putting out 29er “enduro” bikes, the scene could be pretty interesting next year.

2014 Cannondale Trigger 29er Carbon mountain bike to be raced by Jerome Clementz and Ben Cruz

We just posted our review of the alloy Trigger 29er with the Lefty SuperMax and really liked it. The weight savings on the carbon model will definitely make it more raceable.

Action shots by Mattias Fredickson, from Cannondale.

2014-Cannondale-Trigger-29-Carbon-1-mountain-bike

Cue up the troll debate on wheel size in 3, 2, 1…

Comments

alex - 10/30/13 - 2:05pm

lefty 29er…. guaranteed to snap OMG.

K11 - 10/30/13 - 2:15pm

^^^^^love it!

Jdog - 10/30/13 - 3:04pm

Love this bike. I have alloy and I will buy the carbon the second they ship. Lefty haters need to try the Max before they spew hate. This is NOT the lefty you may have tried in the past.

Matt - 10/30/13 - 4:27pm

That was a really weird video. Those guys not only looked awkward on those bikes, it really looked like they were fighting the bike in a lot of instances. Strange.

dogboy - 10/30/13 - 5:01pm

I have to agree with Matt. Those bars are chest high on Jerome and the wheels are flexing all over the place. They should have just had different riders that would actually ride those bikes in my opinion.

RyanC - 10/30/13 - 5:27pm

Wow, that’s surprising that a pro mountain bike rider can ride whatever mountain bike you put under them and ride it well. Does nothing to indicate it is an optimal solution.

ascar larkinyar - 10/30/13 - 5:55pm

way to innovate cannondale with single pivot rear suspension and lefty fork that came out, what 12 years ago?

yes its lighter and better damping, but where are the new ideas that cannondale was so famous for? stuck in the past. when they came out with the 29er scalpel and it had a single pivot instead of the fantastic carbon non pivot of the 26″, I knew they were not even trying and just after making money.

the lefty is very capable of strength and stiffness, better than a single crown fork. but thats were this bike ends.

DaleC - 10/30/13 - 6:59pm

Yeah, Cannondale! Stop being so stuck in 12 year old technology!

Never mind that every other bike is using the twin-tube telescoping fork that has been on bikes for 25 years and motorcycles for 80 years.

Slackers!

JimmyZ - 10/31/13 - 3:05am

Don’t bring a wheel size argument to a fight over pull shocks.

Matt - 10/31/13 - 6:35am

I really wish this frame had a normal shock, and no travel adjust. That’s pretty much the only reason I won’t go for it – I have no interest in travel adjust at all. Seems like an overly complex system, that I will likely break without even trying, with a feature that I will never use. I really want that Lefty though. Wonder how much those will go for by themselves?

endurobob - 10/31/13 - 12:53pm

I agree with Matt. I love cannondales, and have actually rode the trigger 29 and found it to be a great bike, but in that video it really looked like those two guys were wrestling those bikes to keep them in control on a lot of the sections.

Mitch - 11/01/13 - 1:09am

@Ascar
FYI, The Scalpel 29 Carbon has 0 pivots in the rear…