EB13: Lightweight Urgestalt Road Bike Weighs In, Plus Detail Photos

Lightweight Urgestalt carbon fiber road bike

German brand Lightweight introduced their Urgestalt road bike in August, just prior to Eurobike, so we used the tradeshow to get closer and see where the complete bikes weighed in.

The “archetype” frame comes in at a claimed 790g, and framesets including their new seatpost are catalogued at 1,340g with fork and headset. But when you add in their new Rennbugel handlebar, their wheels and a full build, here’s what it looks like…

Lightweight Urgestalt carbon fiber road bike

Cable ports work with either mechanical or electronic drivetrains. Nice to see a fat taper on such a light bike.

Lightweight Urgestalt carbon fiber road bike

There’s just enough room above the dropout to slide the rear cable/wire through, keeping it internal until the last minute.

Lightweight Urgestalt carbon fiber road bike

The seatpost is shaped just for this bike…

Lightweight Urgestalt carbon fiber road bike

…and is held in place by a stealthy bolt on the bottom that simply pushes a wedge inside the top tubeĀ against the post.

Lightweight Urgestalt carbon fiber road bike

Stout rectanglar chainstays and a massive bottom bracket section should help keep things stiff and efficient where it counts, but the stays are pretty thin and ever so slightly flattened. That combo is increasingly common and lends to this bike’s plans for long distance riders.

Lightweight Urgestalt carbon fiber road bike

The included seatpost can be adapted to run either Monolink or standard saddles.

Lightweight Urgestalt carbon fiber road bike

Lightweight Rennbugel carbon fiber handlebar

The Runnbugel handlebar starts dropping at the bend but has a fairly shallow drop. Claimed weight is just 168g!

Lightweight Rennbugel carbon fiber handlebar

The center section morphs to flat faces that look pretty comfy. It’s otherwise a pretty round bar.

Lightweight.info

Comments

Matt - 10/18/13 - 12:08pm

If you look at some of the most successful and industry moving people in history, it is because they elected to do the opposite of what everyone else was doing at the time.

Take the soda market, – highly competitive industry having to compete against coke and pepsi, a low cost/low margin product and only about taste. So what does someone do, they introduce a very high cost product that tastes terrible but has function – hello redbull.

Should someone buck this trend and start building heavier bikes?

D'Glester Hardunkichud - 10/18/13 - 12:09pm

“The complete bike (sans pedals) tipped in at 5.93kg (13.07lb) with full Dura-Ace 9000.”

That’s not Dura Ace 9000 homeboy.

mudrock - 10/18/13 - 12:17pm

matt, plenty of heavy bikes out there already. The bike industry is so heavily segmented it’s hard to imagine a new niche that hasn’t been addressed. Past few years alone have seen the rise of gravel bikes and fat bikes.

dj_pal - 10/18/13 - 12:26pm

Why would they put old Dura Ace on it ??? Makes no sense

m1k3y - 10/18/13 - 12:35pm

Ugh, 10 speed. How gross.

wako29 - 10/18/13 - 1:56pm

790g for a frame? I mean, it’s pretty light, but the big companies are making lighter stuff. I guess I just expected more from a company named ‘Lightweight’

Eyal - 10/18/13 - 2:05pm

My HongFu FM066SL with carbon China tubular wheels and Campag Record(all components bought on eBay) weighs 12.97 pounds! I’ve put on the bike about 9000 miles. And it hasn’t fell apart. Friends who rides Cervelo R3 says it rides about the same. Total cost $2150!

But yeah, this bike looks nice too.

Capitalist tool - 10/18/13 - 3:06pm

@Eyal

You missed the point.

Who would you rather be..the guy who sent 10% of his income on a $2100 bike or the guy who spent 10% on a $12,000 one?

1Pro - 10/18/13 - 3:27pm

Cap tool gets it

Mike - 10/18/13 - 3:28pm

Is it just me or does that seatpost bolt look like a potential problem for my torque wrench?

BTW – what’s the real size of that bike? It looks small for some reason . . . and the stem (60mm???) . . . Can we just find out the weight for a 54 or 56 build with a standard 110mm stem?

Eyal - 10/18/13 - 3:41pm

@Capitalist tool I spent less that 2% of my monthly income on the HongFu!! I already own a Seven Axiom with super record & Reynolds 32 tubulars and an IF Factory Lightweight with Zipp 202 tubulars & and super record. And both are under 14 pounds.

Psi Squared - 10/18/13 - 3:56pm

The cost or weight of a HongFu compared to this bike is irrelevant.

Champs - 10/18/13 - 5:25pm

One-percenters that we are, the disappointing build weight is nothing you can’t fix with some THM components sitting in the parts bin.

wheelz - 10/18/13 - 5:38pm

@Eyal, so you claim your yearly income to be greater than 12*2100/0.02 = 1.26 million and you bought a HongFu frame? Why do I find that hard to believe….

Cutter - 10/18/13 - 5:44pm

Psi Squared get it

Eyal - 10/18/13 - 7:34pm

@wheelz I’m new carbon convert. Didn’t think I would like carbon as much I do now. Next year I plant to get a Crumpton for sure.

Sam - 10/18/13 - 7:44pm

I plant to gets it.

T - 10/18/13 - 9:48pm

It does not have disc brakes so who cares? Seems like a waste of engineering effort.

Andrew F - 10/18/13 - 9:51pm

I have a question. Is that bike lightweight?

rico - 10/18/13 - 10:31pm

Can you turn the saddle or is it locked dead center?

Dr. Monkeypants - 10/18/13 - 10:38pm

At what point does making a basically characterless carbon frame lighter and lighter lose it’s appeal? I look at this and think “Who gives a shit?” None of these ultralight frames or the companies that make them have anything unique about them anymore. This is just more of the generic carbon-blackification of the industry.

Oh yeah… Eyal, you’re full of crap. You got called on it, so just be quiet.

adam - 10/18/13 - 10:42pm

When I crack the post (or better yet, destroy the wedge inside) how much will it cost to replace it? Will you have backstock in 3 years or will I be forced to buy a new frame?

fraser - 10/19/13 - 11:03am

When I saw the Headline in the RSS-Feed I thought you guys of bikeradar had put the frame on a scale. But now, just by looking at the parts (and it is a 7900 DA) I would say, that the frame must be a bit heavier than the claimed 790g. In a “normal” (for me) size – 56-58cm – I bet its close to 900g, maybe heavier.

Plus. The handelbar seems to have minimum drop. More for guys (and girls) with small hands.

And the pricetag for a frame made in china is pretty hefty.

CXisfun - 10/19/13 - 4:10pm

Sorry Eyal, $1.2+ million annual income and you’re grabbing Campy from eBay and riding on a Hong-Fu. Not buying it.

professorVelo - 10/21/13 - 1:10pm