IB13: Felt Teases Bosch Powered Electric Fatbike

felt electric fat bike091613_1096

While many fatbike companies seem to be focused on making the lightest bikes around, some like Felt are looking to give them a little more oomph. Called the FatE, the prototype fatbike is likely a 2015 model if it makes it to market at all.   Equipped with a 250 watt Bosch motor, the FatE promises big power with an extended run time.

Get up to speed on the FatE, next.

felt electric fat bike091613_1092

We’re told one of the delays in getting the FatE to production is Bosch’s entry into the US Market. This is why the FatE will probably be a late 2014 or 2015 model. The 250 watt electric motor uses their Power Pack 400 motor for extended range.

felt electric fat bike091613_1093

The fork offers quite a bit of clearance with a 4.0 tire.

felt electric fat bike091613_1094 felt electric fat bike091613_1097

Cable and wires are routed internally in a bundle through a large opening in the head tube. In order to provide data to the built in computer the chain stay has a built in speed sensor.

felt electric fat bike091613_1099

The controls up front allow you to pick from multiple power settings and monitor things like battery life and distance. The FatE is still very much a prototype but it is looking like Felt’s first fatbike may very well be electric.

Comments

Rohan - 09/23/13 - 5:43pm

I’m sorry but I don’t get the fat bike hype and I probably never will. But a motorized one just scream lazy fat bastard to me. Bury this and forget it ever existed.

A Dork - 09/23/13 - 5:56pm

After a certain point I’m inclined to say just buy a dirt bike (a motorcycle). You’ll probably have more fun if this is something that you had an inkling of interest in, and used ones (even some new) can be had on the cheap if you balk at the msrp of some fat bikes. I know it’s great to encourage people to get into cycling, but electric offerings are skirting with something outside of cycling anyway. Stay on two wheels, but if you’ve got an electric motor, don’t discount other motorized options that might be more practical.

Can’t believe what I’m saying? Or think it’s silly? Formulate your own unique take on it, it’s fun, interesting, and easy.

Tyson - 09/23/13 - 5:58pm

When does a bicycle stop being a bicycle?

dirtpwnage - 09/23/13 - 6:16pm

Great! A fatbike for fat people! Lazy fat people that is.

reverend dick - 09/23/13 - 7:16pm

@Tyson- yep.

Zeej - 09/23/13 - 7:51pm

Have fun making money off the broke 20-30 crowd while my shop sells the boomers electric bikes for huge margins

Rain - 09/23/13 - 9:29pm

It’s 2013. Not just bike brands will do anything to earn a penny of profit. Although most of us mid to high end bike consumers might not realize it yet, these are tough times. Although most people are feeling this downturn a decreasing percentage have unimaginable time and money to burn on these types of conspicuous consumption, fat of the land, in your face toys. Such people are usually overweight so something novel like this has appeal. This bike can be ridden, if that’s what you call it, where motorcycles have long been banned. Wait till they come with a universal charging system for i-futz junk.

Asdf - 09/23/13 - 9:37pm

This bike signifies the degree to which the bike industry has no idea what actual people want. After a swing and a miss on the fixed trend, ceding the business to mail order, the industry is terrified of missing the next trend. In so doing their missing the point. The customers if tomorrow are rejecting the out-of-box, dealer centric model. Until somone realizes people want something different from what the biz has done for the past thirty years, you can say goodbye to IBD.

William Sattler - 09/23/13 - 9:41pm

This is great! regarding the whiners that doll themselves up in the latest seasonal racing colors of their favorite athlete then whine about those who don’t care enough about who is leading whatever racing season happens to be occurring… well who cares, and if you want to call it something else, who cares. You are not required to purchase or ride the machine. You also have other choices, to fly or not to fly, to walk, or not walk. If a guy or gal is fat so what if they want to ride an electric fat bike, why would anyone care? Just like bicycle racers are not hurting anyone, neither are they. I remember the big fights in the late 80s and early 90s between mountain bikers and hikers. “Bikes don’t belong in the forest, they belong on roads”. It seems bicyclists can never just accept that others enjoy their bicycles for their own reasons. See ya on my fat electric bike suckers!

CXisfun - 09/23/13 - 11:07pm

I’m guessing you guys have never ridden fat bikes. Trying pedaling one through 10″ of powder and trying to cover any real amount of distance.

Personally, I enjoy how hard a fat bike makes me work and I have no plans to buy an electronically-assisted one, but I could see something like this making it a total blast.

I won’t buy one, but I bet I’d have a hell of a time taking one for a spin!

Tilley - 09/24/13 - 1:16am

Photos hardly do the fat bike experience justice. It creates opportunities for new cyclists to traverse rough terrain with a more forgiving float. They climb like hell as well. Locally, it’s pretty flat. We have lots of rail trails, but they get riveted by ATV tracks. 29r / 650b won’t do too well in some of the deeper gravel unless you’re cooking (25kmph). This is where I see a use case for the electric fat bike. Those Bosch Motors are really efficient. If I work in a rural area that connects to town by rail trail, or road… I can do either. With an assist ice motor such as this, it’s power is an exponent of my input. I don’t think it’s lazy in many practical use cases. 20k to town? An hour is totally tolerable, and by fat bike, you can manage precarious terrain in all conditions … Comfortably. I won’t be buying one tomorrow… But I’m keeping my eye on this concept. I can’t wait to see where it goes.

Hogdog - 09/24/13 - 4:03am

Lighten up people, it’s just a bike.

Jdog - 09/24/13 - 6:22am

I get all of it but the dropper post.

knuckler - 09/24/13 - 9:37am

There were three trends at Interbike this year. Fat bikes, disc road bikes and Ebikes. Two of the three won’t be going away.

1gr8sailor - 09/24/13 - 1:37pm

I don’t have a need for this bike. But if someone wants to build it and someone else wants to buy what is the problem? I don’t get to hostility because they are going to sell something YOU don’t want or that YOU don’t think belongs in the market. Isn’t it great there are so many choices out there?

Jorge - 09/24/13 - 2:38pm

Zeej – Spot on!

shues - 09/25/13 - 7:45pm

About three weeks ago i built up a Suly Moonlander with a BionX electric motor, and it was boss. The build was custom for a surfer who wanted to ride his bike with his board to surf remote locations surrounded by sand. This guy was one of the most fit human beings I have ever seen! (In your face haters thinking its for fat lazy people!) As an electric bike mechanic and professional shop mechanic, I can see the pros alot more then the cons. Especially with the introduction of Haibike and their electric Mountain bikes with the bosch motors. I think people need to look at the bigger picture here, snobbiness aside, electric is a great way to get people out of their coffins and on to a bike. If you dont like it, get on one and try and then tell us why you hate it…

ascar larkinyar - 09/26/13 - 5:34pm

maybe cause i live in the frozen tundra, but batteries and freezing weather is not a good combo.

ride it at a sunny beach could work

Eric - 02/11/14 - 10:45am

If you don’t like fat bikes you’re doing it wrong or have never tried it. I also have a downhill and a 29″XC. They all have a designated purpose. The. FatE is no exception. I have my fat bike for snow and wet conditions. It also has nothing to do with being fat or lazy. I look at the assist as giving you the chance for a longer adventure or covering more ground in a shorter time. Maybe you’re bike packing and carrying camping gear. It assists you pedaling and still allows you on trails where motors are prohibited.