IB13: New TRP Hylex Drop Bar Hydraulic Disc Brakes for Singlespeed Road, Cyclocross Bikes

TRP Hylex drop bar hydraulic disc brakes for singlespeed road and cyclocross bikes

The new TRP Hylex singlespeed hydraulic disc brake drop bar set up took everything that was easy to make about the Di2-based Hywire system they showed two years ago and dropped the electronic shifting hopes.

The result is a lean looking full hydraulic brake setup that’s perfect for singlespeed road and cyclocross bikes. TRP’s reps said with Shimano’s change to the e-tube system, it became more difficult to integrate their electronics into custom buttons, so they just left those out and focused on the brakes.

A quick test ride on them felt really, really good with solid braking and linear modulation. They were mounted up to Raleigh’s Brian Fornes’ personal bike, which was raced at Cross Vegas as shown. He had other rotors on it, but the system will ship from TRP with their TR-14 rotor, same as what comes with the Spyres and HyRD calipers.

The kit weighs in at 352g per wheel (without rotor) and will retail for $159.99. That’s only $10 more per wheel than the HyRD caliper on its own. They’re available now.

The lever body still has the slots where the Di2 wires would plug in. They could have kept that original version as an option, but figured the market size of people willing to ditch a set of expensive original 10-speed Shimano Dura-Ace levers jut to switch to hydraulic brakes was pretty small.

Comments

drider - 09/17/13 - 7:26pm

I like. Do they come in silver?

Hans G - 09/17/13 - 7:27pm

Can I get in line cross levers for my Civia Belt Drive Single speed?

David - 09/17/13 - 7:36pm

Soooooo tempted. Any info on the type of pads they take, or whether it’s mineral oil or DOT fluid? Bleed procedure?

David - 09/17/13 - 7:43pm

Shoot, should have searched more. Mineral oil, uses the same pads as Spyre/HyRd/Parabox. Hoping for a bleed port right at the very top of the hood…

ChadQuest - 09/17/13 - 8:36pm

This is super rad, makes me want to build a SSCX bike.

bz - 09/17/13 - 9:19pm

Will be nice on a Fargo or any drop bar MTB. I run bar end shifters on my cross bike-so I’m in luck!

CXisfun - 09/17/13 - 10:46pm

“They were mounted up to Raleigh’s Brian Fornes’ personal bike, which was raced at Cross Vegas as shown” – 2012? AFAIK Cross Vegas 2013 is still in the future?

fogd0r - 09/18/13 - 1:01am

Raleigh, put these on the Furley and I’ll buy one. And then throw on a rear derailleur and a bar end shifter, but that doesn’t really matter…

Slow Joe Crow - 09/18/13 - 10:54am

Is there enough metal in the lever to anchor a Retroshift mounting?

Peter R - 09/18/13 - 11:26am

@bz – My fargo is exactly where these are going. I have bar end shifters on that sucker and these will replace my BB7 setup.

dudebro - 09/18/13 - 12:13pm

How’s the lever reach from the drops?!?!

logic - 09/18/13 - 1:34pm

I just installed a set of these on my SSCX bike. Lever reach from the drops is great, better than my old BB7′s IMO. And of course the modulation, power, weight…everything is better than the BB7′s as well. Really stoked on them…great product.

Jim - 09/18/13 - 3:37pm

Why not just combine these with Di2 remote shifters and mount them just behind the hoods for a geared set-up?

Chris - 09/19/13 - 1:30am

Could totally set that up with di2 sprint shifters a la Fairwheel and climbing shifters….

FloodedRightEye - 09/19/13 - 4:45am

That’s some looooong hoods. Proper side shot and comparison shots pls.

Jussi - 09/20/13 - 11:56am

Yup, they’re nice and all, but my rear brake hose was absolutely impossible to detach from the caliper. When at last it came out, the olive was broken in two pieces, the other half still inside the caliper. There was no way I could pry that out. Also the barb was deformed. I don’t know if it was tightened over the specs in factory or what. I’ve contacted TRP about this, but haven’t heard anything. It’s Interbike so I guess that’s understandable. There is at least one other guy who I suspect had similar problem as I: http://www.lfgss.com/threaYd106333-2.html post #86. I guess we’ll find out if this is a common problem in the next weeks.

Champs - 09/22/13 - 12:59pm

Add some Retroshift mounts and I’m sold.

Jussi - 09/26/13 - 2:20pm

Update to my previous comment: TRP has today shipped me a new caliper, barb and olive. Early units have had over tightened calipers, but apparently this isn’t an issue anymore. Besides that problem I had, I’m very happy the brakes and of course TRP’s service. Plus the bleeding of these brakes is an easy job.

petetheheat - 11/01/13 - 1:30pm

Brake kit for only $10 more than lever alone? Sounds too good to be true… or, maybe the levers are seriously overpriced! I’m looking to convert my flat bar HDB singlespeed setup to drop bars for gravel, but it ain’t happenin’ at anywhere near $300 for simple no-shift levers.