EB13: 2014 Cannondale Trigger 29er Carbon Mountain Bike Debuts

2014 Cannondale Trigger 29er Carbon full suspension mountain bike

The 2014 Cannondale Trigger 29er Carbon takes the long travel, big wheel design they introduced in alloy last year and gives a lighter, stiffer frame.

It will come in two builds. The new Trigger 29 Carbon 1 is 27lbs (claimed) with XX1 and their Si cranks and CrossMax ST wheels. The carbon Trigger frame is 550-600g lighter than the aluminum version depending on size. The rocker link is a solid carbon piece and the frame uses BallisTec carbon from front to rear. Same frame and shock for both the Trigger 1 and 2.

The Trigger 1 uses the carbon Lefty SuperMax, and the Trigger 2 gets the alloy Lefty. Both get refined valving for 2014 for better rebound adjustability and a more supple feel.

2014 Cannondale Trigger 29er Carbon full suspension mountain bike

The headtube is designed around their straight 1.5″ steerer and has a big bump stop on the left side.

2014 Cannondale Trigger 29er Carbon full suspension mountain bike

While the alloy models use a pivot above the rear axle on the seatstay, the carbon frame uses a pivotless rear end with continuous carbon fibers designed to flex a bit. The DYAD pull shock switches between 80mm and 130mm of travel only minor tweaks to the geometry thanks to decreased or increased sag. That makes it tighter and steeper in the short travel setting and cushier and slacker with long travel. Check this post for a tech breakdown on how it works.

2014 Cannondale Trigger 29er Carbon full suspension mountain bike

The rocker arm is quite stealth-bomber looking, it’s angular shapes finding subtly placed homes throughout the otherwise rounded frame. Stealth dropper post routing runs under the downtube and ducks into the frame just above the main pivot.

2014 Cannondale Trigger 29er Carbon full suspension mountain bike

The Carbon Trigger 2 gets the white/black/red paint scheme shown behind the top model. They’ll be available in S/M/L/XL sizes.

The alloy bikes carry through unchanged except for color and that they no longer get the SuperMax Lefty…standard forks for the lot of them. One Trigger 26″ remains in the line, the carbon frame, but it’s likely for Europe only.

All of this begs the question: No 650B bikes? Ummmm, suffice to say they’re well aware of what’s going on in the marketplace. There are no specifics available, but the Trigger and Jekyll are prime suspects.

Comments

Jdog - 09/04/13 - 9:56pm

I love this bike. I have the alloy 1 version and I have never once thought: ” I wish I had smaller wheels”..

frank - 09/04/13 - 10:43pm

27 lbs for a carbon frame bike with (expensive) XX1 spec. Seems 2 lbs overweight even for a 29er.

Mark - 09/05/13 - 7:21am

It’s a long travel 29er built tough and with a reverb. 27lbs is pretty good!

Josh - 09/05/13 - 8:19am

I would have expected 25lb from them. The new Rocky Mountain Instinct with stealth reverb and XX1 is 25.

MMyers - 09/05/13 - 9:14am

@Josh

The one with the Fox 32? There’s a pound right there. Next SL cranks, another half…

Jimbrowski - 09/05/13 - 9:14am

@Josh you would ride a Rocky Mountain over a Cannondale because of 2 pounds? You my friend sound silly

Ham-planet - 09/05/13 - 10:15am

Any word on what type of alloy they use on their frames? I’m hoping to see a steel F/S bike from a big manufacturer soon.

SG - 09/05/13 - 10:41am

Jimbrowski, I would ALWAYS ride a Rocky Mountain over a Cannondale no matter what the difference in weight is.

YeahIsaidit - 09/05/13 - 2:38pm

As if the lefty fork wasn’t enough of an atrocity, the bike uses a pull shock too! I’d pretty much ride ANY brand over Cdale, in fact I’d sooner let an elephant stand on my balls than pay for one of those.

Rain - 09/05/13 - 2:43pm

The baby chainring’s as cute as the huge cassette is ugly and still, I want one.

Texast - 09/06/13 - 10:29am

this bike needs more non-industry standards added. Cdale- please create new axle diameters, seat post diameters, headtube diameters, shock configurations and most importantly… more new marketing barf for the dentists and lawyers to buy.

Fran7802 - 09/15/13 - 2:05pm

there is 1kg difference between the RM Stealth and the CD Trigger. I would look at the Tires first of all. CD running HansDamph and RC running Conti Race King’s ……. [deleted]….