Shimano Recalls Select Mechanical Disc Brake Calipers

BR CX75 Shimano RecallWhile the exact reasoning isn’t made clear, Shimano has issued a recall for select mechanical disc brake models after they identified a safety issue regarding the brakes. The affected models include the road and cross oriented BR-CX75, BR-R515 and BR-R315 that last one was only sold outside of the US. While no injuries have been reported, Shimano is voluntarily recalling the brake calipers and replacing them with improved units.

Remedy/Contact: Consumers should stop using bicycles with the recalled brake calipers and bring them to a Shimano authorized retailer in your area for a free inspection and installation of replacement calipers.
For further information, call Shimano American Corp. toll free at 1-800-353-4719 (Monday through Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm PDT)
For Canada, call Shimano Canada LTD. 1-877-377-5211 (Monday through Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm EDT)

Comments

JMDV - 08/26/13 - 7:26pm

JMDV - 08/26/13 - 7:31pm

Not only will this fix a problem that I had with the lever throw being interrupted by a ridge on the caliper housing, the replacement caliper (BR-CX77) will be a nice black color and have new brake pads! Great! :D I just hope that they’ve changed inboard and outboard pad adjustment screws to accept the same diameter hex wrench, because before one used to be 2.5 and the other 3 (a real headache).

Olo - 08/26/13 - 8:53pm

mechanical disc brakes are the shit

Scott - 08/26/13 - 9:20pm

Since this is such a PITA to adjust due to the horrible one caliper design, maybe they will replace them with dual calipers! Wait… that’s TRP. Crap.

Ben - 08/26/13 - 10:59pm

Anybody know what the issue is? I have a set of BR-R505s, which apparently aren’t affected, but it would be nice to know the issue.

mateo - 08/27/13 - 7:57am

The issue is with pad adjustment once the pads are worn/replaced. They’re supposedly fine if the pads are installed/adjusted correctly, but it is “possible” for it to be done wrong.

Still not sure what the specific problem is though.

jimmy - 08/27/13 - 11:14am

Guess I’m going to be bringing the bike in…shame because they just went through a nice break-in period. I love these brakes but if the new ones are better in any way (including being black) I’ll happily get them done.

Dave - 08/27/13 - 12:47pm

According to my shop:

Forms are on the way, but the calipers are back ordered with an arrival date of 11/15/2013. Shimano said not to ride the bike due to brake fade issues.

So, what’s everyone planning on riding for cross?

Ryan - 08/27/13 - 3:18pm

My BR-515′s on my Roubaix have sucked since I purchased them. Looks like I’m not the only one having problems. I want some BB7′s over new Shimano stuff.

hurricanejosh - 09/06/13 - 4:11pm

yea great timing recalling cross brakes 2 weeks before cross season starts… at worst, only one should fail, right?