Mavic And Hutchinson Announce Tire Development Partnership

Hutchinson

First it was Mavic and Time partnering up for a pedal collaboration. Now it seems Mavic is looking to form another French super power in the world of tires, with their recent announcement of a partnership with Hutchinson. Based on Mavic’s entry into the Wheel Tire System category, the move isn’t exactly surprising. Together the two are setting out to create a new line of tires that will “satisfy the needs of every consumer, including the most demanding.” We should have more information from Eurobike.

What could be really interesting is if Hutchinson lends their leading Road Tubeless technology to create a tubeless wheel tire system for the pavement. Fingers crossed…

Comments

Ploutre - 08/23/13 - 1:37pm

Well we knew from the start that the Mavic tyres were made in France, and only 1 company still made them here ^^

But good thing for Mavic for working with companies that still produce their stuff in France :)

rico - 08/23/13 - 2:55pm

Fingers crossed that they keep making RT tires for non mavic wheels (yellow boat anchors).

Chunky - 08/23/13 - 3:28pm

AM rims that are still way too narrow. Wake up Mavic.

Ted - 08/23/13 - 3:43pm

As with many things in life, the whole wide rim thing has gotten a bit overblown. I was rocking wider rims well before the latest enduro fad, but the Johny-come-lately who thinks he needs 30 mm rims for the hardcore steep trails of Kansas is high on crack. Wide rims do come with a weight penalty and the latest incarnations that are surprisingly light weight will prove less than durable as the thin extrusion sidewalls fail with rock strikes.

The ‘narrow’ Mavic rims don’t seam to have effected Jerome’s results this year.

bbb - 08/23/13 - 5:07pm

Ted:

At 165lb I use 28mm rims on the road and wouldn’t run anything narrower than 35mm on an all-round XC/trail hardtail. I don’t do fads. I’m usually a few years ahead of them.

You don’t need to do anything hardcore to appreciate advantages of increased tyre volume, lower pressure, especially on a hardtail or a rigid bike.

btroffded - 08/23/13 - 6:31pm

Franch fries…franch dressing…franch toast…franch bread…

Max - 08/23/13 - 9:18pm

Bbb: ” I don’t do fads. I’m usually a few years ahead of them.”

Lololololololol ok

Devin - 08/23/13 - 10:57pm

Bbb: ” I don’t do fads. I’m usually a few years ahead of them.”

My new favorite quote. Have a great weekend.

Brian - 08/24/13 - 1:22am

Wide rims are not a fad, just like suspension forks, disc brakes, and 6 inch trail bikes, they are here to stay and mavic needs to figure it out. I’ve run their stuff forever, they make a great product, but my last 2 wheel purchases have not been mavic, specifically because of rim width. Weight is only a penalty if you’re racing (and even then, not always), otherwise it usually just means more fun

Plush Forks - 08/24/13 - 12:32pm

“It’s only the whole rim weight penalty / rotating mass thing which is overblown.”

Yeah, I found filling my tires with H3-heavy water instead of Stan’s, and removing my 240g saddle and replacing it with a 100g saddle, made me way faster on the internet.

Mr Bojangles - 08/25/13 - 2:02am

So wide wheels are so much better huh? Again why is Jerome winning on narrow Mavic wheels on Enduro courses that you fellows wouldn’t dream of riding at his speeds? Please please tell me your magic secrets

Andrew - 08/25/13 - 11:41am

So he’s winning based purely on his wheels! gotta get me some of these narrow bad boys! Lay off the bs anecdotal evidence of superiority, it’s as bad as the guys touting 650b because one dude does well on them in XCO. Here’s a simple thought: Rim width to match tire width. Extreme thought huh? Also BBB, I’ll also be quoting you from now on out.

Mr Bojangles - 08/25/13 - 11:38pm

Suspension impacts ride quality much more than rim width would ever dream too, yet people rarely spend any money on upgrading their stock suspension. Maybe rim width advantages would be more applicable to hardtails or bikes with little to no travel.

For example take a blind test with a rider on proper FS bike. The quality and settings of the suspension will impact the riders feedback tremendously, whereas I dare you to accurately know if you’re riding a 23mm vs 35mm rim bike.

brian - 08/26/13 - 1:52am

The 23mm vs 35mm rim would be night and day, because with the 35 you can run wider tires at significantly lower pressures without risking flats and without as much sidewall roll. Anyone could tell the difference. Now, if you’re talking about 23 vs 35 with the same tire size at the same pressure, then, no, you absolutely couldn’t tell, but that would be a meaningless test. Kinda like saying a six inch bike is no different than a four inch bike, but requiring that the six inch bike be sprung such that you only get four inches of travel.

Mr Bojangles - 08/26/13 - 3:41am

great points Brian. But are you really working outside 2.2-2.4 for your standard trail bikes? What do you suppose are the optical width for your standard 2.3 Purgatory or Hans Dampf

Mindless - 08/26/13 - 12:11pm

Mr Bojangles: You do not know what you are talking about and what you are missing. Wide rims are to allow to run wide tires at low pressures – for traction and comfort. No, both of those are not needed for high speed downhill race, but anybody can appreciate it for normal riding.
Tubeless, low pressure, wide tires, wide rim. Simple and works. Narrow rims suck.

brian - 08/26/13 - 1:55pm

High volume 2.3s like the Hans Dampf or Spec Clutch/Butcher/Purgatory are plenty big to benefit from the wider rim. Just air ‘em up on a mavic rim and something like a flow ex and look at the difference.

Erik - 08/26/13 - 9:35pm

It’s weird that DH World Cups are still being won on 23mm and 25mm rims. I wonder how they do it?

michi - 05/22/14 - 1:33am

I tried wide rims and I don’t like them. I don’t like very wide tires either. It’s my personal preference. As simple as that.
Not everyone likes the same stuff so thanks to mavic for still offering high-end narrow options.

For you folks who prefer the fat tires there is plenty choice.