Gates Carbon Drive Targets Growing eBike Market with New Products

Gates Carbon Drive Urban MX2 Bosch

At Eurobike, Gates will be officially announcing a set of sprockets that integrate with the most popular eBike Motors on the market. According to Todd Sellden, the Global Director of Gates Carbon Drive, “electric bikes are the largest growth category” for the company. As a result, they’ve partnered with Bosch, Pinion, SRAM, MPF, BionX, Höganäs, Yamaha, Panasonic, and other major manufacturers.

They’re also offering several new items…..

Gates Carbon Drive CranksIncluding a set of Gates branded cranks compatible with Shimano’s electric Di2 shifting system. In the past, you had “to custom machine down the motor unit, the belt cog, and custom space the internals of the hub and modify the bb/belt-ring spacing to make it work.” It took almost two days of labor to do (full story here), but the new cranks and sprocket should make installation simple. GoBike three-quartersAlso in the works are two new shorter belt lengths, to better accommodate folding bikes, which have shorter chain stays. The company’s goal is to increase their belt lengths and sprockets to cover every category – from BMX to eBikes. They currently offer 8 different belt lengths, up from the 3 that were initially introduced in 2008.

Comments

MB - 08/21/13 - 4:12pm

I hate to say it, but proof read your text. It’s painful to read sometimes…

Rick - 08/21/13 - 4:53pm

Might as well go after the e-bike market since the general cycling public aren’t really interested in belt drive. Belt Drive, the answer to the question that was never asked.

Drew - 08/21/13 - 5:10pm

@Rick – you’re missing it – I ride a belt drive 29er with an alfine 8 and there is nothing like riding through the woods so silently.

Doug - 08/21/13 - 6:26pm

I have five bicycles set-up for commuting. The one that gets used 90% of the time is my Surly Cross Check modified to accept a Gates CenterTrack drivetrain combined with a Shimano Alfine 8-speed IGH. Low to no maintenance required in any weather including 7 months sloppy winter crud in Nortern Minnesota. Three winters with the Belt Drive and I can’t imagine riding without it now.

THAT GUY - 08/21/13 - 7:04pm

@Doug – “Take your reality and shove it! LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA”

-Rick

shafty - 08/21/13 - 11:50pm

For commuting or tandem timing use belts can’t be beat. I’ll be the first person to cover my ears when there’s even the slightest mention of belt efficiency–cleanliness really is it’s strongest virtue.

WannaBeSTi - 08/22/13 - 9:23am

I like belts. One to hold my pants up and one on my commuter to keep the same pants clean.