Ciamillo’s Lunocet Takes Cycling Bits for a Swim

lunocet-cycling-shoes-flipper-for-swimming

Ciamillo’s other passion is finding ways to push humans further under water (in a good way), and his latest is the Lunocet flipper.

Designed around cycling shoes’ stiff soles, it mates them to a flexible membrane via a spring loaded hinge. A tensioner sets the rigidity of the mechanism to let it go from soft and easy to rigid, the latter setting being for maximum speed. Like his brakes, the structure is machined, anodized alloy, and the whole thing comes with a six year warranty.

Diagram pic below…

LUNOCET-CUTAWAY

Get your own (and more technical info) here. Wanna see his other underwater creations? Check out our factory tour!

Comments

Mindless - 08/13/13 - 12:01am

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

Craig - 08/13/13 - 12:26am

There’s nothing to say about this. Bikerumor: This is not cycling news.

Duder - 08/13/13 - 12:45am

I’ve always thought of Bikerumor as an aggregator more than anything.

shortnstocky - 08/13/13 - 2:09am

Ciamillo AKA Zero Gravity brakes. So yes, after a fashion it is cycling news. Although Tyler could have explained that with an intro paragraph.

Champs - 08/13/13 - 2:35am

Too bad they’re late to market. The hydrofoil fluke market gets REALLY hot in early April.

If it’s tri legal (what isn’t), then just call it the T1 Express, but I’m sure they’ll find a way to screw up the transition, anyway.

sluck - 08/13/13 - 6:50am

How to get Eaten by a Shark, chapter 1…

mike - 08/13/13 - 8:00am

Throw in some aero shoe covers and you might have something there.

Steve M - 08/13/13 - 8:06am

That thing looks like a Pinarello tt frame. The tri geeks will love it.

Texafornia - 08/13/13 - 8:20am

No power meter with left-right values? Useless.

Will - 08/13/13 - 8:40am

Cool, but I don’t really see the point. If you’re spending lots of time in the water, regular fins are probably more efficient. Not to mention you won’t destroy a pair of cycling shoes in the process…
But, I guess if you want to look like a mermaid, more power to ya.

Jonesy - 08/13/13 - 9:25am

Wow, I guess the money I paid for a set of brakes I never received went to pay for THIS ridiculous waste of time and NOT the ridiculous submarine we saw last time! How about that.

Anthony - 08/13/13 - 10:46am

Jeez guys. He mounted cycling shoes via some kind of cleat interface and he made lustworthy brakes 10 years ago. This company has had a few missteps but this is as cycling related at the multiple posts about concept art students bikes that will never be built or ridden.

wheelz - 08/13/13 - 10:57am

Cool stuff. I love seeing what truely creative people like Ciamillo come up with. Thanks for posting this Bike Rumor!

pmurf - 08/13/13 - 11:08am

I don’t want to read a blog that doesn’t post things because they aren’t “related to cycling enough.” If it’s slightly related, and kinda cool, I for one would love to hear about it. And besides, the Lunocet is cycling related on a number of fronts. First, the device takes a very important bit of cycling technology and applies it to another field. That’s interesting. Second, like Ciamillo or not, Ted’s company created one of the most popular after market bike bits of the decade and pretty much launched “WW tuning” into the mainstream. If he’s also machining a trans-Atlantic submarine and a human dolphin fin in the same shop as his brakes, you’re damn right I wanna know about it.

Mick - 08/13/13 - 11:09am

Folks, it’s a joke.

pmurf - 08/13/13 - 11:13am

I will say though, I’d rather have seen a more in-depth writeup on the history of the Lunocet project. This is not the first-gen lunocet, nor even the second I believe. You used to be able to customize the colors of the hardware, just like the brakes! They’ve been available for purchase in their various forms for years now, and the evolution of its design is quite interesting.

matt - 08/13/13 - 11:19am

@Will, the intent of this is for either deep diving, freediving, or going really fast. The original intent was purely for a human being to breach out of the water by his own power.

I know for sure that my hamstrings would get fried from this thing.

Also, it must be a slow day. Ciamillo has been making the Lunocet for almost a decade, and I think they have all used cycling shoes.

That being said, I hate swimming, humans weren’t meant to do it, but I really want one of these because it is awesome!

AlanM - 08/13/13 - 11:21am

You don’t like that it’s not cycling related, yet you click on the article and comment on the article. Here’s an idea, just don’t click on the article!

3G - 08/13/13 - 2:01pm

How much does it weigh?! Does it come in white? Can I run it single footed?

Ajax - 08/13/13 - 2:27pm

OMG! I’ve seen it all now. Just think of all the tri geeks with this!

Engineer - 08/13/13 - 2:39pm

@ Mindless

That is exactly what I was thinking, I was so confused I had to see the comments.

Ted Ciamillo - 08/13/13 - 5:03pm

Jonesy,

Please contact me at tciamillo@gmail.com.
Thanks,
Ted Ciamillo

MMyers - 08/13/13 - 7:45pm

I bet those are the stiffest and most efficient prosthetic dolphin fins on the market.

Le Engineer @DOL-Fin - 09/01/13 - 12:46am

I agree with pmurf. An article that discusses more of the history of the Lunocet, or more to the point, a history of adapting cycling technology to swimming fins would be more interesting. The Lunocet is not the only example of this adaptation. Another product called the X-20 monofin uses Shimano cycling shoes mated to what is called a DOL-Fin Hydrofoil for freediving applications. A similar product called the X-15 monofin is used for scuba diving. There are several videos on YouTube that indicate the cycling shoe thing can work quite well for swimming and diving fins. This article was more of an advertisement for the Lunocet.