PowerTap Drops Prices for Power Meter Hubs, Joule Computers

Powertap drops prices on power meter hubs wheels and cycling computers

PowerTap recently made a bit of an internal (read: branding) split from parent Saris to let them put a dedicated emphasis on the power measurement products. The effort has just resulted in a substantial price drop across the range for both their hubs and CycleOps Joule computers.

“A little while ago we refocused on Powertap,” says Tim Statton, marketing director for all of Saris Cycling Group. “We knew we needed to focus on that lineup, so we made it its own brand again, gave it its own website, and found ways to reduce costs throughout our supply chain and make the manufacturing processes more efficient. This let us reduce prices across the board without hurting anyone’s margins, so everyone wins.”

The PowerTap G3 now goes for just $789, down from $1,299. Wheels start at just $899 with alloy rims, and Reynolds carbon rimmed hoops start at just $2,199. Joule computers drop to $99 for the base model and $219 with GPS. Check the full lineup at PowerTap.com.

Comments

MB - 08/02/13 - 4:53pm

Hate to be the negative nancy here, but to me “found ways to reduce costs throughout our supply chain and make the manufacturing processes more efficient” reads “we were lazy and greedy and now that more players are here taking market share we have to compete”. Pretty bad message from the marketing director.

Glad prices are lower but I’ll stick with what I’ve got.

Psi Squared - 08/02/13 - 4:54pm

Let’s see if there will be a response from the consumers and the other power meter manufacturers. I don’t know what PT’s market share is, but surely a move like this cannot be ignored.

Matt - 08/02/13 - 5:12pm

Still waiting on my chain-based power gauge, so that I know how much power is going into every tooth of the cassette.

the dude - 08/02/13 - 5:16pm

@mb, don’t be a chooch. power = happy

MB - 08/02/13 - 7:55pm

@the dude, I agree, have a PT on my indoor trainer. But I find the logic silly. This is like BMW saying, oh, BTW we suddenly found a way to sell our cars for 40% less and no, it doesn’t have anything to do with competition and cheaper options… I’d take a 40% cheaper BMW for sure but save the BS. They were either greedy or very lazy before. I’d like to think lazy.

Jacob - 08/02/13 - 8:22pm

Lazy, greedy, who cares. I’m sure they are not the only ones to drop their prices using some BS story. More importantly, cheaper means more manufacturers competing which is ultimately good for us the consumer. Power is good and hopefully we will all be able to train with it one day.

Psi Squared - 08/02/13 - 8:31pm

Lazy? Greedy? Not necessarily. Maybe they decided or were forced to make changes to improve their market position. We don’t live in a binary world, and the answer to why PT made the price change definitely does not have to be the result of laziness or greed.

Besides, someone is always going to piss and moan when a product they buy is sold at lower price later. Oh well, welcome to economics and reality.

StevenG - 08/03/13 - 10:21am

for long time powertap was the cheapest quality PM. they could get away with charging more. looks like competition & more options is finally getting these crazy prices down

Champs - 08/04/13 - 5:57pm

Years and years of vapor have finally started to condense, and the dam is ready to burst.

Tracy - 08/04/13 - 8:54pm

I would like to know why there is still a $500 premium for the ceramic bearings. Seriously? If the company can pull $500 out of their markup it would seem that there is a fair bit of fat on the meat. So, either they are giving away markup premium because of market pressures, or making them more cheaply. Or, maybe a bit of both. Either way, I am suspicious.

Psi Squared - 08/04/13 - 10:13pm

If you don’t want to pay $500 for ceramic bearings, don’t. Get ‘em elsewhere for less or use regular ol’ bearings. Whining isn’t necessary or justified.

jcharles00 - 08/05/13 - 2:05pm

Man, I wish I’d gotten around to selling my Joule sooner.

Interesting move though. I always thought it was weird that PT stuff had such tiny margins at retail. I figured that meant that their margins were small.. but I guess not. kind of a bummer. I’ve used a PT for a long time, and will continue to do so just because it still works and I don’t want to cash out to change. I’ll probably go to a garmin computer though. I feel like PT has really dropped the ball several times on head units. the Joule 2.0 was a step in the right direction, but then they blew it.

GNC - 08/06/13 - 9:18pm

No hard feelings here…simple supply and demand economics. PT’s responsibility is to it’s share holders. The fact that market forces have pushed them to lower prices is simply the result of more competition and greater supply of similar offerings. The fact that there now exist more options is a good thing.