Video: Experiments in Speed, A Short Documentary

“Inspired by those great men of the salt flats, those men that in the 60s pushed the Land Speed Record from the 300s up towards the 600mph mark in jet-propelled cars built in their sheds. We decided to do what we do: build a bicycle, but this time, in the spirit of those pioneers of speed, build it to see how fast we could go…” – Spindle Productions

Comments

joe - 07/24/13 - 6:01pm

looks like he could gear down a bit. at 102 his cadence was still pretty low.

Rob - 07/24/13 - 7:50pm

Donny is a really nice guy if anyone gets to meet him. Top guy. But dont let him meet your girlfriend……

jorge - 07/24/13 - 11:37pm

Rob…that sounds troubling! hehe

I liked the whole idea of the project, although I’m not to keen on the artsy side of the video…Seems pretty overused these days, but that’s just me. Can’t wait to see the “over 100mph” edit, I’m pretty sure he’s gonna make it!

NASH - 07/25/13 - 4:18am

Deadly, need more of this kind of thing in the world.

Argh - 07/25/13 - 5:49am

chainring/frame too heavy !? Also, as said before, cadence too low…

Stefan - 07/25/13 - 11:22am

Really cool video. Methinks they should’ve cut down the filming budget to rent a minivan for him to draft behind. If they weren’t planning on doing a proper run its just an exercise in gear-inch calculating.

Dave - 07/25/13 - 11:53am

Awesome! And I bet if he reversed the gearing, 102 in the back, 13 in the front, he could climb 90° grades. Pretty cool movie too. Hope he breaks 100.

caliente - 07/25/13 - 12:03pm

I love that Rapha got in on it too with the shoe covers.
Cool video, cool story. I wish it were a little more science and a little less art.

Ahram - 07/25/13 - 3:48pm

Yeah, what’s with all this beautiful filming and artful edits. Someone give me a cellphone cam and some charts I can’t read.

filibuster cash - 07/26/13 - 9:36pm

I think what we’re getting at is this is just an artsy rendering of the same things bored hillbillies have been doing for centuries. The copy even hints at that. If i want to see “British engineering”, I’ll watch the Top Gear guys fail spectacularly and have a laugh at their own expense. All this video–sorry; “edit”–accomplishes is more public onanism. At least this character isn’t from PDX.

Rob - 07/27/13 - 2:06pm

filibuster cash

You are an idiot. Simple as that.

Muddy Dave - 07/28/13 - 9:05am

I don’t think there’s much science in here at all, nor should there be. This is about getting your hands dirty, using the knowledge that is out there and having a go. Slightly eccentric too, another great British trait.

Totally with Rob, Top Gear is an entertainment program for Chavs.