It’s a Boy! On-One Announces Baby Fatty, a 24″ Wheel Fat Bike

On-One_Baby-Fat-Bike

Niche bikes and wheel sizes are all the talk these days and UK’s On-One is joining the conversation with a bit of a back pedal: 24″ wheels and a 12″ frame.  The Baby Fatty shares a lot with its big brother, the On-One Fatty, such as a 6061 T6 hand welded frame, Sram X5 components, and the same CNC hubs.  Otherwise, the Baby Fatty is uniquely designed with shortened geometry to match the 12″ frame size and 24″ wheels, a new unicrown fork, and 4.0″ wide tires.   The Baby Fatty is slated to appear in November and will retail for £800.

Comments

gringo - 07/23/13 - 9:10am

If I had a Gringo Jr. running around I would buy this for him over a front or full sus model with double or triple cranks anyday.

This could actually be a great starter MTB

JR Z - 07/23/13 - 9:57am

It’s about time someone did this. I’ve been calling for this for shorter riders (even though I’m not one) ever since I started considering a fatbike in 2009.

Michael - 07/23/13 - 10:11am

Those wheels would be da bomb on a Big Dummy.

slyfink - 07/23/13 - 10:40am

I don’t get it. is it a fat-BMX or is it a fatbike for kids? what’s it for?

Kevin - 07/23/13 - 10:59am

slyfink….
It’s for kids to have fun on.
Give one to a kid and see how many milliseconds it takes them to work out what its for !!!!

George - 07/23/13 - 11:38am

Seems like a good idea to me for everyone not just kids. A 4″ wide 24″ wheel will actually be closer to 28.5″ OD which is still a perfectly respectable OD but will be lighter and cheaper and give more options for geometry.

George

Ryan - 07/23/13 - 12:04pm

If this was affordable to me, I’d buy one for each of my kids.

patrik - 07/23/13 - 12:18pm

This is getting ridiculous.

The bicycle industry is always whining about the multitude of incompatible standards, yet they keep flinging crap like this at consumers, whose bike-shopping task is further complicated by the mumbling bicycle showroom teenager salesmen who think ISIS is a metal band from LA.

Ironically, it’s these small startups that are to blame, since they need to differentiate to get noticed at Sea Otter and Interbike.

“Let’s make a triangular wheel that turns into a clock when it’s pedaled past 5.3MPH,” or some other crap no one cares about.

Some bored engineer in a garage thinks, “What’s between 26 and 29? Hmmm, I’m bored, so me add the two numbers together, divide by two–VOILA!–27.5! Let’s do it!”

And down the rabbit hole we keep going…

jaas - 07/23/13 - 12:23pm

yes patrk…its a real catastrophe

Morgan - 07/23/13 - 12:44pm

Sounds like Patrik needs a fatbike.

jimmythefly - 07/23/13 - 12:48pm

The multitude of industry standards really doesn’t bug me like it used to. For one thing, I’ve worked around it with motorcycles and automobiles for years. Do you know how many bolt patterns there are for auto wheels, before you even start talking about diameter, width, and offset?

If you’ve got a bike part with standard X, you simply have to buy parts that are compatible with standard X. It’s actually pretty rare that your choices are limited. And even if they are limited, I personally find that while in theory I want tons of choice, in reality the two or 3 available parts are completely sufficient. (like the tires for this bike)

Sure if you’re an economical (cheapskate) guy like me who does most of my shopping at the recycled bike parts store, then stuff can be hard to find that’s exactly what you want. But hop online and it’s no issue at all.

It’s actually pretty awesome how interchangeable bicycle parts are, especially when you consider aftermarket companies that offer solutions to normally-incompatible parts. (jtek, speen, problem solvers, etc.)

Topmounter - 07/23/13 - 1:03pm

Yeah, wow Patrick…

The “good ‘ol days” (for the myopic at least) when all that existed were 26″ tires, 68MM English threaded BB’s w/ tapered spindles and 1″ threaded headsets.

Padrote - 07/23/13 - 1:04pm

patrik thinks the industry is what pushed 650b onto the market, but it isn’t.

Steven - 07/23/13 - 1:22pm

I know 12″ frames are generally for kids but what size of a small adult would this fit ? I’m asking inseam and height.

James S - 07/23/13 - 1:33pm

Has something changed in tire manufacturing that makes it easier to create new tire sizes? Are tire molds easier to make these days? I wonder about this because I remember hearing so many excuses at the beginning of the 29er era as to why there were so few tire choices. Now Surly has the Knard and even Walt of Waltworks (a one man company) was able to get his own 36er tire made.

feg - 07/23/13 - 3:12pm

@ steven – this frame is probably a good fit for someone 5 ft tall or less and 26″ or less inseam. Many women, people in Asia and teenagers in this demographic.

Honeybear - 07/23/13 - 3:15pm

Cool bike, retail weight is bit heavy though.

Guy - 07/23/13 - 4:05pm

Angry much Patrik? Leave it up to somebody to get sad about a really cool, unique idea. The fun part of the bike industry is how much stuff is out there. These are the things that give engineers, marketing guys, sales people, and mechanics jobs (and some headaches) and create competition within the market to grow the pie. Standards exist for a reason of course, but that’s clearly not the point here. Have fun!

Kevin - 07/23/13 - 5:29pm

Don’t understand why people are getting all upset. These pages are usually full of ultra complex carbon full sussers costing £4, 5, 6 grand and above. Then along come Fatbikes, Krampus, monster cross, baby fattys and all kinds of bikes that cannot even be made to cost more than an entry level full sussers even with oodles of carbon thrown at them. They also don’t need a team of F1 mechanics to maintain them and they are FUN.
I’ll say it again FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN.
My Pugsley is a hoot, rides all the lines I’ve never been able to ride in 20 years, never goes wrong even when I ride it in the SEA and cost me £1700.
My cross bike is also a hoot to ride offroad (in a terrifying way mind you) and also doubles as a touring bike and commuter. £1500.
I am currently selling my full sus cos I’ve not ridden it in over a year.

The industry wants to sell us car priced bikes and the small guys like Surly, Salsa and on-one are shouting **gg** off at them.

Come on all you grouches, sell your quiver, and instead buy a fat bike for youself, wife and kids.

thejonpalmer - 07/23/13 - 7:00pm

I like Fat kids

BurkeVT - 07/23/13 - 7:24pm

It retails for around £800.

Steve - 07/23/13 - 8:32pm

Hey Bike Rumor, you may want to edit your article to show the correct price. On-One website shows ~£800, not £999. :) Great idea for a bike though!

Steve - 07/23/13 - 9:55pm

On-One state the bike will retails for ~£800, not £999

jimmythefly - 07/23/13 - 11:54pm

@ James S.

Good question. I would figure that molds are indeed easier to manufacture, what with advances in cad/cam manufacturing.

But maybe the biggest reason might be the ability to be more sure of selling enough tires to be worht it? I’m not sure if its’ the internet or advancements in forecasting or ?

I could be totally wrong of course, but my understanding with previous efforts was the basic “not enough guaranteed demand to justify the risk of buying molds”.

Bob - 07/24/13 - 12:37am

Man, if my folks had given me a bike like that for Christmas… wow. Parents don’t let your kids see this! That’s a bike that say fun like nothing I’ve sen for quite a while.

patrik - 07/24/13 - 1:30pm

I’ve said what I’ve needed to say. And that being said, I’d like to see how many of my naysayers buy this bike. All talk, no walk–post back on here with receipts.

Yea, didn’t think so.

Padrote - 07/24/13 - 2:38pm

(really poor) Logic dictates that if you appreciate something and can afford it then you should own it

Mindless - 07/25/13 - 1:59am

@Kevin: Surly and Salsa are frigging far from small. In house brands of a huge distributor.

Ben - 09/18/14 - 3:59pm

@patrik, just ordered one for my kids. Should be here in early October.