2014 Specialized Brings Back the FatBoy – as a Fat Bike!

Specialized Bikes 2014 GPL (66)

Originally spotted as a prototype under Ned Overend, the Specialized fat bike is getting official for 2014. Just about any kid growing up in the 90s who was into BMX knows the FatBoy name, and with the name retired from BMX, it only makes sense to bring it back for this fat-tired monster.

SBC GPL Copper Mtn 2013 SBC GPL Copper Mtn 2013

SBC GPL Copper Mtn 2013

Built with a heavily hydroformed aluminum frame the FatBoy is shown here with a prototype Specialized carbon fork rather than the White Brothers SnowPack seen on the prototype. The combination of massive 5″ tire clearance and short looking chainstays makes the FatBoy look fast, even with those ridiculous tires. The frame uses a tapered head tube, and will use a 135mm front spacing, and 190mm rear following in the footsteps of Borealis, and others going to the wider rear end.

Pricing and final spec is TBD, we’ll keep you posted.

Comments

mirciu - 07/15/13 - 4:56am

What is this madness ?:))) Is it Specialiezd Day on BR ?

Al C. - 07/15/13 - 7:00am

What did Fatboy have to do with BMX for Specialized? The Fatboy was a slick 26″ tire. It was likely best known for various Fatboy MTB Criteriums at various Specialized-sponsored events like Cactus Cups.

Boubou - 07/15/13 - 7:29am

DO WANT!

Gravity - 07/15/13 - 8:00am

@Al C. – Specialized made a BMX bike from the mid-1990s until around 2000 called the Fat Boy.

onespeed - 07/15/13 - 8:01am

what!? aw c’mon, fat-bikes are over. ;p

Sardinian Rider - 07/15/13 - 8:43am

Salsa and Surly better get their lawyers ready.

Poncho - 07/15/13 - 9:53am

The first mass production mountain bike was the Specialized Stumpjumper, first produced in 1981.

32 years later, another full rigid bike from Specialized – copied from all the trailblazers.

Specialized innovation.

nanci djreaux - 07/15/13 - 10:21am

no real innovation here, just specialized following the footsteps of walmart to get their market share of fatbike money.

Duder - 07/15/13 - 11:00am

Little short on info, wouldn’t ya say? Any more specs, geo? Release date? Tire info?? Quit dangling the carrot.

patrik - 07/15/13 - 11:25am

@nanci djreaux

You don’t think that fork is a step up from what the other fat bikes are adorned with?

I don’t think you need revolution in this segment; just something better.

satisFACTORYrider - 07/15/13 - 11:32am

i don’t get fat bikes. I’ve ridden ‘em and it was ok. it’s like somebody found a warehouse of apollo-15 rover tires, beach cruisers and a torch.

Hoffa - 07/15/13 - 12:56pm

I’d consider a fatbike if I lived somewhere that had regular & consistent snow in the winter. Central PA snow doesn’t stay around like it used to, so I’m fine with standard fat-free tires.

kcr - 07/15/13 - 1:07pm

@satisFACTORYrider – A bunch of my buddies in Utah ride snowmobile trails all winter on their fatbikes – when you can’t MTB and the roads are to icy to ride.

Will - 07/15/13 - 1:16pm

The tires look like unbranded Surly “Bud” and “Lou” tires. Given Specialized’s tire manufacturing, I’m wondering if they’ll really spec it with those tires, or they’ve got something else on the way. In any case, pretty cool looking bike, innovative or not.

I'm on a boat - 07/15/13 - 1:56pm

Classic,
they denounce the 27.5 but come out with this super niche bike.
#fatbikesareout
focusing on selling disc everything to sell more bikes.
#specializedhype

canti brakes work great, so do rim brakes.
if you are using disc brakes in cross you are going too slow.

bread - 07/15/13 - 2:18pm

fat bikes are the new fixies

Robo - 07/15/13 - 2:20pm

man, while all you dudes are pissing and moaning on the internet, I’ll be out riding goofyass fat bike from specialized. can’t wait to get my hands on one!

Ryan - 07/15/13 - 2:21pm

The new Kona Wo interests me more.

Will - 07/15/13 - 3:34pm

[deleted], why does everyone b!tch about Specialized so much? Sure, they may be more aggressive money-grubbers than other bike companies, but no bike company gives their sh!t away. It’s a business. I had several Specialized bikes over the years, and they were all pretty darn good, even if they were just aluminum hardtails. I haven’t owned a Specialized in a decade, but that’s not because I hate them. Lighten up everyone.

Alex - 07/15/13 - 3:36pm

Cool looking cutouts on the rims. I rode a FATBIKE in UT. all over last winter. Snowmobile, snowshoe and even single track is all rideable in snow with one. I have actually been riding it a couple of times a week throughout the summer as well. They are tons of fun!

Kevin - 07/15/13 - 4:33pm

Not sure if I’ll get the bike, but fat bikes need a serious kick up the a*** to reduce weight. Only 907 and the Ti exotica have sensible weights. By sensible I mean why would a fat bike frame weigh much more than a normal MTB frame ?
Also a much needed reduction in tyre and rim prices. Oh, and the ability to actually buy a BB, hub and crank for your bike anywhere ever. All these things would be nice improvements to fat bike life.
Who know, in a couple of years I might not have to build my own mudguards?

As for the bike itself. 4.8″ tyres and a double crank on a bike that doesn’t weigh the earth. Sounds good to me….

satisFACTORYrider - 07/15/13 - 5:15pm

@kcr- i get the snow application for sure but that’s it.

Mike McAuley - 07/15/13 - 6:47pm

Kevin,

Weights are not an issue here. My Salsa Beargrease stock weight is 30 lbs, very rideable as my FS is a touch heavier than that. It doesn’t ride like 30 let me tell you!! Very cool for a big company to get the goods out, maybe more venues will open up for riding if more people are on them.

MB - 07/15/13 - 7:10pm

Kevin, all that you mention is available now. Look for it.

As for tires and rims, try making them for less and report back. Any smaller niche product is more expensive as you can’t get the volume discounts you can with mainstream stuff. Basic economics.

And on top of that weight doesn’t = fast which doesn’t = fun in all cases, or maybe even most cases. If you want to race 21 lb bikes in northern Michigan in the winter, get on the trainer and knock yourself out. If you want to go out, have some fun, and have some variety in winter activities fat bikes are where it’s at.

For the record I don’t work for nor own a Specialized, and for no good reason.

me - 07/15/13 - 8:31pm

MB-I have a buddy who rides a pugsley and can get through the local trail faster than most locals riding sub 21 lb 29ers. The speed is definitely there if you know how to get it, and how to corner on a fatbike. It is not the same as a standard MTB.

Stewart - 07/15/13 - 10:07pm

I heard Batman had specialized make an all back version for Gotham.

Stewart - 07/15/13 - 10:08pm

*black*

JimmyZ - 07/16/13 - 1:29am

I really enjoy riding frozen trails, big piles of snow make crashing less hurtful (just try to remember what lies beneath). I feel like dual suspension is more helpful than a fat tire, I would only want spikes for riding that includes paved surfaces or lots of iced sections. On the other hand, I don’t like getting road salt on my xc bike. I wonder if the big contact patch helps on ice, because fat tires might be heavy, but if you need to install screws on them, you might need 180mm rotors to stop.

26-4-life - 07/16/13 - 11:32pm

All the fatbike fanboys say it with me now:

r-e-b-o-u-n-d d-a-m-p-i-n-g

See wikipedia: “Without a damper unit the system would rebound excessively and would actually give the rider less control than would a rigid bike.”

Legless - 07/17/13 - 2:35am

@JimmyZ, ice is only slightly more easily ridden with fat tires, my hip can attest to it.

Miguel M - 07/17/13 - 10:05am

@im on a boat – I think you have your facts twisted. Disc everything so that you can go faster.. If you don’t see the use in having discs on your bikes than you are going to slow. Any cross racer should want cleaner, stronger, more consistent braking power so they can brake later into corners and not worry about mud build up on their brake track. If you live anywhere with real elevation changes then you will know that discs on a road bike can be very valuable as well.

I suppose you have fun on your 26″ Trek from 1992 though don’t you.. no need to try new technology, just bash it

SmooveP - 07/17/13 - 11:54am

@26-4-life: Thanks for that well-researched comment. Tire pressure takes care of damping pretty well. Riding a fatbike at 6-7 psi feels pretty well damped. Maybe not as good as a 6″ travel FS bike, but better in other ways, like traction and flotation in sand or other loose surfaces. It takes a few decent length rides and fiddling with tire pressure to truly appreciate the “fat factor”.

TheLongRoad - 07/24/13 - 10:13am

Fat bikes aren’t just for winter anymore. I just returned from a Great Divide tour (northbound) on mine. Great fun … tough as nails … comfy and safe!

44 riding days with fully loaded panniers (NOT bikepacking light), border to border. Speed is relative. Don’t blame the bike or tires if your “engine” ain’t up to the task. These bikes can MOVE in the rough stuff!

Jeffej - 08/13/13 - 12:06am

Fat bikes are for shredding off trail all winter long,
Snow machine trails, hiking trails. Make your own.
Come up to Anchorage and beyond,,well show ya
A fat time of your life!

ninagirl - 09/14/13 - 9:24am

Thank You for this!! :D :D And this is actually made with better parts and it´s more cheaper than the Mukluk that we were planning to buy with my boyfriend!!! Luv this <3 <3 and imagine this with pink details….. <3 just perfect for a hi and her! <3

deadman biking - 01/03/14 - 1:01am

fat bikes are here to stay!! they are more trail friendly, can go more places, over more obsticals and are just plain fun. I have been racing xc mtb for almost 20 years, the past 2 on a fat bike. yes the pugs i had was not a great nimble bike, bad geometry, and too wide of rims was it’s issue. now i have a better designed for trail fat bike and it rides like a normal bike except it is way more stable and fun. have not ridden any of my old bikes in months!! Can be a snow bike, can be built with 29er wheels, can be a 29+. Just raced the Iceman cometh with it and had the same average time as in my 20 pound SS thr previous years!! Mine is a Kona Wo frame up build.

PS if it’s cheaper then the competitions bike then it’s cheaper made, comprimised somewhere!! Cheaper is not always better, if that is true just go get one of those walmart fat bikes!!

BandWagon Geo - 05/23/14 - 3:31pm

The bandwagon I’m riding has big FAT tires.

I have been eyeing fat bikes for years, I bought a 100mm fat fork to throw on my 29er Slingshot Farmboy (in a front suspension attempt). I didn’t research the cost of rims and tires until after the fork purchase, that project never happened.

I have been in search of a shop with a large/XL bike for me to ride and get a feel for fat riding but that hasn’t been happening for me in SoCal.

NOW (last week), I was in Portland, OR and took a spin on the FatBoy at a local favorite shop and it is GREAT! it rode like any other bike just smoother.
On top of this I have long had trouble finding bikes to fit my body shape, 6’3″ long torso, but Mike Sinyard’s crew seems to get me.
I bought an XL in the forest green. The black looks great but i HATE Yellow in any form and the black/red expert isn’t in my budget.

More availability is good for the breed, less cost in tires and wheels through greater demand and availability. And now we’ll see if FAT is here to stay

My only concerns will be SoCal thorns and sharp rocks i guess. It’ll be worth it!