New Airborne Seeker 29er Offers High Flying Spec with Grounded Price

Airborne Seeker

Since 2011, the reincarnation of Airborne cycles has been focused on providing quality aluminum rides at incredible prices out of their Dayton, OH home. Those of you old enough will remember the Ti frames that started the Airborne moniker, which are long gone in favor of cross country 29ers, DJ, FR, and DH bikes.

Due to their consumer direct sales model, one of the big draws for Airborne bikes is the price, and the new Seeker 29 hardtail certainly qualifies. At $929.95 complete (plus $75 flat shipping), the Seeker slots in between their popular Guardian and Goblin 29ers at $599 and $1199, offering a new middle of the road spec for the company. Built on the same frame as the higher end Goblin, the hyroformed 6061-T6 aluminum 29er features an IS tapered head tube, ample mud clearance, and a 68mm threaded bottom bracket.

Equipped with a Rock Shox Recon Gold R Solo air, hydraulic discs and a SRAM 2×10 drivetrain, you get a lot of bike for the money. Check out the complete spec after the break,.

The Seeker is currently being produced by Airborne, and will be available for purchase the week of August 12th – though they are accepting pre-orders now.

Specifications:

Frame 6061-T6 Hydroformed Aluminum Hardtail 29er with tapered HT
Fork Rockshox Recon GOLD R solo Air w/Lock-Out, 100mm, TAPERED
Headset Ahead Sealed Cartridge 1 1/8″ to 1.5″ tapered
Brake Levers Avid Elixir 1 Hydraulic
Brakes Avid Elixir 1 Hydraulic
Rotors Avid 160mm
Shifters SRAM X5 2×10
F Derailleur SRAM X5 2×10
R Derailleur SRAM X5 2×10
Cassette PG-1030 11-36T
Chain SRAM Powerchain 1031
Crank X5 2×10 crank, 175mm length, GXP
Bottom Bracket SRAM GXP (outboard bearings)
Pedals NONE
Rims Weinmann Disc Bull Double-Walled with Eyelets, 32H
Hubs KT HiFlange Sealed Bearing 32H
Spokes Black 14g Stainless
Tires GEAX AKA 2.2″
Handlebar Alloy Riser Bar, 660mm width, 15 degree rise,5 degree sweep
Stem AIRBORNE Alloy +/- 7 Degree Rise, size specific
Saddle Selle San Marco SPID Black
Seat Post AIRBORNE Alloy 31.6mm Diameter, 350mm

Comments

Quinn - 07/11/13 - 11:54am

Very tempting!

Ck - 07/11/13 - 12:57pm

Big fan of Airborne’s offerings. The HobGoblin is definitely on my list, but they make a great range of hardtails too.

Markus - 07/11/13 - 3:57pm

Aren’t these guys still owned by Huffy?

Quickie - 07/11/13 - 4:29pm

Just make sure that you are capable of doing your own wrenching before purchase. I don’t know first hand, but bike shop owners have to love breaking it off in mail-order bike owners when they bring them in for work.

SCPaul - 07/11/13 - 5:41pm

A shop that does that won’t be in business long. I bet they make more money working on them then selling them.

Psi Squared - 07/11/13 - 7:52pm

Yep. Bike shops worth having your money will work on such bikes with no problem at all. They understand that providing good, friendly service is the best way to have a customer come back and spend more money at the store.

Chris - 07/11/13 - 8:46pm

@ Markus: So what if they’re owned by Huffy. What’s your point? Ferrari is owned by Fiat. Lamborghini are owned by Volkswagen. Until a few years ago Aston Martin was owned by Ford. Who owns who means very little.

Benjamin - 07/11/13 - 8:54pm

Any bike shop worth their salt knows that working on bikes is where the money is, and bike sales are just a small part of the business. The unfortunate truth is that a lot of average joe shops spend most of their time working on mail order or wal mart bikes because they are the ones that break and weren’t put together properly to begin with. I even have a standard price for assembling a mail order bike for a customer. I never balk at somebody trying to give me money…ever.

filibuster cash - 07/11/13 - 9:02pm

we will indeed take care of your bicycle as well as any other; not to say we don’t secretly smile a bit when something we are unable to warranty goes wrong. however, i honestly like what airborne is doing. i really hope more companies try to make solid bikes at better price points. trek’s cobia is a similar build, but a step or two down in the fork, wheels, tyres, and crank, for a bit over $1200. i can’t blame anyone who’d want to save $200 or so and get better parts. i promise you, the trek frame and moniker is not worth the “upgrade”, especially when it isn’t even a tapered headtube, and you have to have that annoying, proprietary 51mm offset that doesn’t, regardless of mr. fisher’s assertions, improve the ride in any way.

mitch - 07/31/13 - 5:32pm

I own the Hobgoblin XO and it rocks. My shop has no problem taking care of it and compliment on the bike all the time. As far as warranty goes the frame is 5 years. Components are the same as any other bike and my shop says they will deal with the warranties if need be for the components. Great company and good quality builds especially if you are on a budget. I was looking at another bike that was going to cost me $2800 and had X7 shifters, X9 RD and SLX crank. well for $175 more I got the same geo I wanted but with a full XO setup, with carbon cockpit, sun ringle black flag pro which I went tubeless on. they also threw in 2 bottles of stans and valves. Couldn’t beat it. It was funny because my LBS was anticipating the arrival as much as I was. At the end of the day its all about comfort!

raul - 08/07/13 - 10:13am

which is the weight???

Tony - 09/27/13 - 9:13am

I bought into the excellent component packages that AIRBORNE includes on their bikes at competitive prices when I purchased a GOBLIN XO. Wish I could have ridden it first because the geometry seems different from any other 29er frame Ive ridden…not sure if I would have bought it after a demo ride. Lots of pedal strikes too, wierd. I like it for its weight but the frame seems like its trying to be something its not.