Bikerumor Pic Of The Day: Hackettstown, NJ, Circa 1978

RetroAirBungaBMX

Photo submitted by Rob, “The retro pic [on Monday] gave me the idea to send this one in. This is my brother Jeff jumping our Kawasaki BMX machine off of our back porch in Hackettstown, NJ, circa 1978.”

We always love to see your photos and would like to show them to the world here on the Pic Of The Day. Send in your photo with a brief description here.

Comments

Matt - 06/27/13 - 7:31am

SHRED THE GNARRR!!!!!

shreddr - 06/27/13 - 9:26am

although the Kawasaki BMXer was way more capable than the Yammie Moto Bike of the day, I still managed to snap that thing in half after repeated full bore jumps from a ramp in the back yard!

Ryan - 06/27/13 - 10:02am

Loving the retro/bike thing! Keep it coming gang!

doug - 06/27/13 - 11:18am

That is big air for such a little bike. I wonder if he stuck the landing?

Rob - 06/27/13 - 1:10pm

He indeed stuck that landing, numerous times, as did I. I couldn’t tell you how many bike frames and wheels got broken from launching off of that porch. As shreddr said above, that particular bike met it’s demise shortly after this pic. I actually broke a Skyway Tuff Wheel after many launches, which was pretty hard to do. It was an awesome time to be a kid though.

cornermind - 06/27/13 - 1:59pm

Cool!

Useless info: those aluminum Kawasaki frames were built by Bill Bastian. The bikes his shop made back then include Race Inc, foiler, Spoiler, Cycle Pro, Laguna, and the infamous SERacing “PK RIPPER”, among a few others.

He pioneered welded aluminum bicycle frames.

Nice picture.

Ben - 06/27/13 - 2:01pm

Awesome pic, brings back memories. We used to take the metal slide off our swing set, set it flat on the sidewalk and with the short upturned section at the end we could launch decent air. Sadly no pics.

bikehoarder6 - 06/27/13 - 2:18pm

Reminds me of that scene from “E.T.” when the kids were escaping the G-men.

RUSTYDOGG - 06/27/13 - 4:09pm

Love that pic!

Matt - 06/27/13 - 4:18pm

@cornermind, thanks – great info. I owned a few of those other brands.

challenb - 06/27/13 - 6:44pm

This pic brings back huge memories – I instantly recognized the bike. I had this Kawasaki in the mid-70s and used to huck it off everything in site…until it epically failed into about 4 pieces. This led to a nice Diamondback, but that’s another story.

Jake - 06/28/13 - 2:34am