Recon Jet HUD Gets Official – Pilot Edition Available Now

Recon_Jet_George_Hincapie_I

After the launch of their snow sports HUD in 2010, Recon has had their eye on the cycling and triathlon market. The only issue – getting it to fit on pair of small glasses compared to the relatively large snow goggles. After teasing the Recon Jet back in May, the Pilot Edition is finally here. A limited amount of cycling and triathlon oriented models will be offered for sale for $499, though the offer expires on July 21st, the last day of the Tour.

Find out what big George Hincapie has to say about the Jet, plus a video after the break.

Recon_Jet_George_Hincapie_II

According to Hincapi, “Throughout my 19-year career, I was always fascinated by wearable technology and I think it is incredible how Recon Instruments has managed to develop a HUD for sunglasses while keeping the fit of the sunglasses balanced and comfortable. It is amazing how the display is only visible when you want it to be and is completely invisible when you don’t.  It will make a tremendous difference for cyclists not to have to look down at their bike computer or smartphone for data, taking their focus away from their activity.  I can see these being a big hit in the peloton.”

Specifically geared towards sports of the pedaling type, the Pilot Edition will ship with applications specifically for cyclists and triathletes and will ship several months before the full production run. Jet is equipped with both ANT+ and Bluetooth allowing connectivity to heart rate, cadence, and power devices as well as speed, pace, distance, time, and elevation through the integrated sensors in the unit. In addition to displaying cycling data in real time, the HUD will also display text messages and caller ID from incoming calls while keeping things hands free.

As mentioned previously, Jet is based on an open SDK platform allowing developers to create their own apps which was lauded at the recent Google I/O tech conference. The device also features a 1 GHz dual core processor, dedicated graphics, Wi-Fi, GPS, and an HD camera. As George mentioned the components are evenly distributed on both sides of the glasses for perfect balance and claim to only add 14g per side. The display is controlled with an optical touch-pad with support for multiple gesture controls for use in all weather conditions and while wearing gloves.

Comments

Wojtek G - 06/26/13 - 4:31pm

“Throughout my 19-year career, I was always fascinated by wearable technology and I think it is incredible how Recon Instruments has managed to develop a HUD for sunglasses while keeping the fit of the sunglasses balanced and comfortable. It is amazing how the display is only visible when you want it to be and is completely invisible when you don’t. It will make a tremendous difference for cyclists not to have to look down at their bike computer or smartphone for data, taking their focus away from their activity. I can see these being a big hit in the peloton.”

Gosh, that sounds SO honest and spontaneous! LOL.

dartingd - 06/26/13 - 4:55pm

The important question is…Can it Strava?

Jason - 06/26/13 - 5:11pm

@dartingd Awesome! “Can it Strava?” is the new “Can it play Doom?”

Limba - 06/26/13 - 5:15pm

Doom and Quake were awesome.

Topmounter - 06/26/13 - 5:23pm

Maybe it will flag other Strava riders so you can throw a stick in their spokes so they don’t beat your time.

CXisfun - 06/26/13 - 5:56pm

I don’t know…..I don’t hate it. I’d rather try it before buying into it, so I guess I won’t be getting one anytime soon, but I like the idea…..

Swty - 06/26/13 - 6:35pm

Love the concept, especially for a TT or Tri where you need to keep your head still, but how water/sweat resistant is it with built in microphone, speakers and USB port? I have destroyed regular sunglasses with corrosion from sweat. How hard will it be to keep the camera lens clean?

Ants - 06/26/13 - 8:48pm

Wow George. Such honesty. Oh – wait, there have been problems with that in the past havent there….
Go away.

bob - 06/26/13 - 9:03pm

what pot hole?

thud

Justin conman - 06/26/13 - 9:23pm

The Talibans were right all along, f?!k me.

mudrock - 06/26/13 - 10:28pm

Nothing wrong with endorsing a product. You holier-than-thou twits are getting tiresome.

Devin - 06/26/13 - 10:43pm

These pros who lied and cheated through their entire careers still getting paychecks from the bike industry are getting tiresome. Seeing Big George riding around with his development squad makes me so damn mad; remember kids: do as I say, not as I did to make multiple millions of dollars.

generalee - 06/27/13 - 10:35am

“instant trash talking”

Lug nut - 06/27/13 - 4:19pm

Doped before and during his time with LA . Since he was just out of the juniors And he still gets endorsements. Go away with your millions and hot wife

hello? - 06/27/13 - 8:26pm

[deleted]

Mike - 06/27/13 - 9:16pm

Leaving aside some of the doping stuff, I’m not sure these are an improvement in safety terms. Also does anyone have a view on what happens when these things get sweat and rain on them. Also what happens on dark days? I bet the lenses can’t be changed.

The Conductor - 06/28/13 - 9:21am

Impressive technology, but does the average rider really need it?

I guess if you’re into “staying ahead of the Jones’s”….in the same mode of “instant trash talking”…

I will get a good laugh when I run over a pair on the side of the road or parking lot.

That said, another product won’t buy do to a doper’s endorsement.
Maybe they could be programed to let a pro know his doping levels during a race.

mfcycling - 06/28/13 - 10:41am

Is that a Dylan Casey Olympic Tiemeyer track bike in the background?

Joshua - 06/29/13 - 2:19pm

I have the ski goggle version of the the Recon. It was cool to have that extra data available, and it was “visible when needed and invisible when not”. But I stopped using them because my peripheral vision was effected when using the goggle, and after several close calls (not because of the HUD), I went back to my traditional goggle. That being said, I know this won’t be for everyone, but I applaud the progression of the technology.

Benj - 08/16/14 - 6:38am

Interesting idea. Outside of racing is it possible that this could assist everyday riders? Could it assist (with connections to sensor on the bike) to warn that you were about to get hit from behind by a driver that isn’t watching the road (perhaps on their smartphone)? Cooperative intelligent transport systems offer these warning and control systems for cars. Could this help cyclists or is this technology for the sake of it?