Camelbak Streamlines Podium Bottles While Easing Cleaning

SONY DSC

While most of Camelbak’s pack range sees little change for 2014, the hydration company has made a number of changes to their Podium and Podium Big Chill bottles to make them easier to use- and to clean.  As nice as the original Jet Valve is, its design left a few nooks and crannies that were hard to get clean.  The fact that few knew that the bite piece could be removed made for more than a few funky bottles- and prompted the redesign.  More after the break…

SONY DSC

Original Podium (left) and 2014 prototype (right).

With a sleeker new “Velocity” shape, the small and large Podium bottles maintain their 21oz and 24oz capacity but get smoother and slightly shorter.  The change makes for a bottle that not only looks better on aero frames but is easier to squeeze. The self-opening Jet Valve has been moved to the cap, which can now be removed more easily thanks to a pair of pull tabs.

SONY DSC

Despite the upgrades, prices for the single-walled Podium and insulated Chill bottles largely hold the line at $9 and $10 for uninsulated models and $13 and $15 for insulated models.

camelbak.com

Comments

Joey B - 06/19/13 - 9:41pm

Cool! This remains to be my favorite bottle.

MissedThePoint - 06/19/13 - 9:52pm

*checks to see how the original’s valve comes off*

pmurf - 06/19/13 - 10:41pm

While I looove that they redesigned the valve for easy cleaning, I’m really not digging the new styling. The older design with its angular ribs and sharp features is so unique amidst a sea of boring-shaped bottles. This redesign brings it back to boring for me….and so it would look good on aero frames? A lot of aero frames have creased, kinked, angular geometry and graphics (foil, propel, aeroad, 7 series, TMR, Alize…) that IMHO the older bottle would complement better anyway.

Cory - 06/19/13 - 10:42pm

That rubber end is a spit magnet. I didn’t like it at all, until I found out I can remove it, not to clean, but permanently. It’s not necessary to work, but I guess that will change with this new design.

Ck - 06/19/13 - 10:45pm

Happy for the changes, I have to clean my CB caps too much right now to keep the mold away. It’s enough to make me consider ditching valve bottles altogether, or at most trying a Purist bottle. I may consider this one when I see it in person.

Tom - 06/19/13 - 11:11pm

I’ve never understood how people get moldy bottles. I almost never wash mine and they never get funky. I think the key is to leave them mostly full when you finish a ride. Either way, these are my favorite bottles by far.

Justin - 06/19/13 - 11:19pm

That thing comes off?!

Batson - 06/20/13 - 8:12am

@ CK: A lot of drink mixes mold up pretty quick when left in a bottle/bladder.

MS - 06/20/13 - 8:39am

So …. how do you remove the valve from the originals?
I too never have real problems with mine getting too funky. Typically, I wash them with dish soap & hot water after about 1-week of use. I don’t even use a brush. I have had some extreme cases where I needed a splash of bleach to kill some growth in the valve.

MS - 06/20/13 - 8:46am

Whoa, nothing special? Just pull the rubber tip off?
I never wanted to try it for fear of breaking it off. It certainly does not come off as easily as the bite valves on their Nalgene-type bottles.

Ck - 06/20/13 - 8:53am

@Batson. I hot-water rinse my bottles immediately after a ride and then fully wash them with the evening dishes and they still mold up.

Fatso - 06/20/13 - 9:51am

Still one of the best bottles out there in my opinion. I like the Purist bottle but really don’t like the nozzle. I’ve had 3-4 of each bottle and the Purist seemed more likely to leak and took a bit of getting use to the oversized nozzle. The Podium sure does blast out the water though if you’re not expecting it and squeeze like a normal bottle, it always makes me laugh.

JL - 06/20/13 - 10:20am

My trick is to rinse the bottle with water after the ride, and store the lid and upside down bottle on a tea towel to let them both dry completely. I just leave them sitting like that until the next time I ride, keeps it dry so no mold can grow! At least it works for me.

RUSTYDOGG - 06/20/13 - 10:50am

Used these for years on and off the bike. Never would go back to traditional bottles. I pry that rubber tip off sometimes with the help of a butter knife or one of those rubber gripper pads you use to open jars. Small brush to clean nooks and crannies and bottle brush to clean inside. Always dry upside down in dish rack. Ride in the dishwasher every now and then.

The only problem these bottles have is the damn squeaking sound they make from the valve from the pressure differentiation. Anyone who uses one off the bike knows what I am talking about. Its friggin irritating. All mine do it and always have. Still, I always have one filled in my possession, car, office, etc…

Limba - 06/20/13 - 12:03pm

or … get a Purist bottle.

bk - 06/20/13 - 12:41pm

I swear by Purist bottles due to their intelligent internal coating of the bottle, however the valve and moving part is simply too hard to clean. When I first started using them I would pull the entire black portion out so I could clean the docking portion of the lid along with the inside/outside of the black cylinder containing the valve. After you do this about 5 times the rubber O-Ring gets stretched and makes it very hard and nearly impossible to push the valve down to the ‘closed’ position and once it’s there you need two hands and twisting motion to get it to the open position.
Wish the CB lid fit the Purist bottle = problem solved!

Fabricio - 06/20/13 - 1:25pm

The best bottle used in my own experience, I own 3 of these and no complains, maybe I will buy one of the news to see the improvement

Tes - 06/20/13 - 1:26pm

I like old bottle and the new top, but I can’t tell if they’re compatible. Anyway, I’ll wait for the carbon version.

Andy - 06/20/13 - 1:37pm

Will they be offering a mud cap for the new bottles?

Yoshi - 06/20/13 - 1:54pm

They are way to heavy

Velo - 06/20/13 - 3:01pm

I never ever wash my CamelBak Podiums, and they never get moldy.

Nathan - 06/21/13 - 5:56pm

Yoshi – try drilling the bottles to save weight.
My biggest question is always “do they leak”? I’ve lost a few bikes to sugar ants carrying them off at night after nutrition product leaked all over the frame.

Adam - 06/22/13 - 6:22am

Not a fan if new aesthetics either,

But better is better. Function > form,

Never really had isues with mold, use low sugar NUUN, quick rinse and store in frig.. 1/wk or biweekly dishwasher cycle.