Trek Expands Project One to Include Mountain Bikes!

Trek Project One Mountain bikes 2

So that big announcement that Trek was saving for their launch of the new 29″ bikes? It wasn’t about a new bike – instead it is the announcement that Project One is finally making its way over back to mountain bike side of things! Regardless of what you think about Trek bikes, Project One is an incredible system that lets the consumer have the ultimate control over their semi-custom build. Much like the road bike version, Project One will be limited to the highest end carbon models currently including the Fuel EX 9.9 29″, Superfly FS 9.9, and Superfly HT 9.9. Control over the final build ranges from choosing from stock options which won’t change the final price, to custom paint jobs or component upgrades that will boost the price accordingly. You can even color match the decals on the fork! It doesn’t seem to be in place yet, but eventually users are able to change size options for components through their local dealer’s P1 account as well, picking the right stem, bar, saddle, and crank lengths to fit.

Check out some of the wild paint jobs after the break.

Trek Project One Mountain bikes 1

FinishLine Superfly HT Murdered Out Superfly Rasta Fuel EX 9.9 Superfly FS Shred 29 Trek Factory Racing Fuel EX 29 U5 Vapor Coat Superfly

All of the paint schemes above are part of the Signature Series which is an additional charge unlike the 4 base paint jobs for each model. Depending on the complexity the upcharges range from under $500 to $1049 for the U5 Vapor Coat pictured at the bottom. Without any decals and a tiny amount of paint, the U5 Vapor Coat offers the lightest possible frame in a trick raw/finished look but certainly comes at a price.

Gloss Matte Trek Black

Maybe the best news of all, is that each model has the option for this Gloss/Matte Trek paint scheme included in the free-to-change Select Series. Check out Projectone.com to see what’s possible.

Comments

Steve M - 05/31/13 - 11:45am

That front derailluer hanger looks awfully lonely hanging there in the breeze on the green bike. I imagine the desingers are schatting kittens trying to figure out what to include now that 1X’s are coming on.

You could say that the only option is 1X and do a really clean, stiff lower pivot and no junk on the seat tube and get burned if the market swings the other way.

Slow Joe Crow - 05/31/13 - 11:48am

Apparently Trek’s first Project One MTB offering went down the memory hole. Around 2005-7 the Project One site offered custom paint for Fuel and Top Fuel MTBs although there were no component options for MTBs. I like the idea and I’ll go to the site and play but unless they extend the program to aluminum frames I’m unlikely to spend that kind of money.

wako29 - 05/31/13 - 11:55am

Slight correction: those component sizes have never been available to change on the trekbikes.com website (as it won’t really change how the bike looks), but all of those options ARE available when the dealer places the order.
Steve: On the carbon EXs, that direct mount for the front D is removable. Good pic of it at http://flowmountainbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/EVO-link-29.jpg but I agree it does look odd in those pics

mike - 05/31/13 - 11:59am

Wild paint jobs??? Yawn.

Zach Overholt - 05/31/13 - 12:05pm

Thanks wako29, fixed.

John - 05/31/13 - 12:18pm

@ mike: Well said! Plus, Project One is kinda pointless because if you are really riding a mountain bike then the finish will get trashed pretty quickly.

MaLóL - 05/31/13 - 12:32pm

honestly, who cares about trek? I care in the sense that i would like the company to extint. They should give the company to Gary Klein and Gary Fisher.

Zach Overholt - 05/31/13 - 12:48pm

@John you’re partially missing the point. From a dealer’s point of view this allows the bike to show up with the right tire, stem, bar, grips, drivetrain, brakes, etc. When you’re selling a $8,000+ bike you usually go out of your way to make the customer happy. This makes that much easier, and you aren’t left with some 100mm carbon stem that you normally wouldn’t sell. Project one is great for the consumer, but it’s also very good for the dealer as well.

Also, my Fuel EX 9.8 has over 3000 miles on it at this point, and looks as good as new. Just because you ride doesn’t meant you have to trash your bike.

RoDe - 05/31/13 - 12:49pm

MaLóL your absolutely right especially about Klein who always had the best paint schemes. Alas i doubt Gary would be interested in having it back, since he’s more involved with building his own telescopes I hear.

Boover - 05/31/13 - 12:55pm

All the haters never cease to astound me. This is a killer program. Good job Trek!

(And seriously, I’ve ridden and crashed a lot of mountain bikes and never completely trashed a finish beyond a few scratches.)

Zach - 05/31/13 - 1:18pm

I ordered a Project One Madone last Dec. Overholt is correct….I was able to customize my drivetrain, stem length, bar width, and crank length (none of which were correct on the stock model). Not having to buy these parts or having more ‘take-off’ parts laying around my garage is well worth the trouble!

Now, if I could customize a Cronus CX Ultimate with Red 22 Hydro disc, I’d be all set.

Matt - 05/31/13 - 1:20pm

I am not sure why people would not like this option. It is only an option, but it is better to have it than not. Good job Trek. And thanks for my Remedy 9.9 which is a 25 pound, 6 inch travel trail killer.

jaas - 05/31/13 - 1:35pm

HATERS GONNA HATE

MeroMasta - 05/31/13 - 2:30pm

I still can’t comprehend the blind hate. This program is pretty extensive. Aside from the drivetrain, stem and etc, you can also choose what rear shock and fork you want. I don’t know what you guys think, but to me that’s pretty awesome.

Nakre Nakresson - 05/31/13 - 2:36pm

Where is the Lance Armstrong special?

Earth Rocker - 05/31/13 - 2:38pm

Project One = lipstick on a pig

Seraph - 05/31/13 - 2:55pm

Ok, cool I guess. Now they need to offer all of their top-end MTB frames in P1. And then they need to make the Remedy SS and re-make the Ticket Signature.

John - 05/31/13 - 3:06pm

@Zach: If Project One would allow a customer to select the tires (and other options) that he or she REALLY wants, then it would make sense. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t believe it is possible to order something up from Trek that has a Ground Control rear tire and a Conti Trail King in front, or ask for an Easton bar, etc….Also, I’m not talking about trashing your bike, I’m saying that the typical mountain biker takes at least a few crashes every season, so why bother with an expensive paint job?

Elevate Me - 05/31/13 - 3:17pm

@ John: What’s your point? Bontrager has a comprehensive tire and component line. The tires are actually killer–and this comes from a trek hater. So does basically every other large manufacturer. If you want full custom, go full custom and pay the big bucks.

Its a shame I wouldn’t purchase a carbon trek due to incompatible beliefs (bb90), since it might make my dream of having a pink hardtail plausible. I hope the remedy goes up on there.

Dr. Monkeypants - 05/31/13 - 3:22pm

Where’s John Slawta when you need him??

askar larkinyar - 05/31/13 - 3:30pm

a few ugly colors and the ability to change a few sucky parts, all at a over priced option?

now this is a great idea…..not!

dale - 05/31/13 - 3:35pm

My first true MTB frame was a Klein Pulse Pro, sparkling yellow. I still have it and it roolz even today. Prior to that I was on BMX and BMX cruisers, the Kleins won me over. I actually like the neon paint on the first Trek here. It certainly was weird when Klein got bought out, but whatever.

BigBuckHunter - 05/31/13 - 4:43pm

Really… this is better than 650b? Trek just lost my next purchase.

Zach Overholt - 05/31/13 - 6:39pm

No offense taken John. Of course Trek isn’t going to offer spec of another bike company’s tire (and neither would Specialized). But while limited to Bontrager parts at least users can now pick a super racey tire, or something more suited to big rocks and loose terrain. This will never be able to compete with building a full custom bike from the frame up, but in terms of what major manufacturers offer in terms of stock bikes it’s pretty cool. Most of the changes can be made without effecting the final price – and, say you already have a super nice stem and bar set up you want to run, you can build your P1 with a cheaper bar and stem than spec’ed which actually lowers the price. It’s not perfect, but it offers a lot of options that typically aren’t available on a stock bike.

MaLóL - 05/31/13 - 8:02pm

RoDe: According to Klein wife, he got kind of depressed after seeing how trek destroyed his creation..

this project one, not just that the bikes are pure crap, but this paint schemes are so ugly, so disgusting, so yankee… it’s embarrasing just to look at the photos. they are like a Dell computer. Even specialized crap is less ugly.

MaLóL - 05/31/13 - 8:04pm

at least they come with esi grips… pity they left the uber-ugly esigrips bar caps… pathetic indeed.

MaLóL - 05/31/13 - 8:04pm

haters gonna hate, and dudes with no taste gonna buy it… good!

Charlie Best - 05/31/13 - 9:39pm

Anyone who thinks Trek got where they are by producing bad bicycles is being naive. They produce bikes that ride really well. They might lack design charisma or boutique cachet, but I’ve owned many TREK bikes in my 25+ years of mountain biking and I’m yet to be disappointed. I’ve owned bikes from untold other manufacturers too (including 2 Kleins, one pre and one aprs-TREK) so I might have no taste (thanks MaLtroLL), but I do have plenty basis for comparison.

For those mourning Klein, my experience has been one of pretty bikes with quirky handling and questionable durability. if GK wanted a different future for his company he should have kept it small and exclusive. I’m sure the $$$ he got for the brand and its patents hasn’t made his decision too hard to live with.

I’ll take FuelEX 9.9 in blue/pink/yellow matte neon please!

David French - 06/01/13 - 1:21am

I would want Rock Shox forks (because DT don’t do the right offset) but the UK distributor refuses to stock spare CSUs or lowers which puts me off having a Trek. Especially since the time when G2 works best is slow and tight singletrack, which of course doesn’t exist now thanks to all the Stravassholes (around my way anyway) :-P

Ham-planet - 06/01/13 - 1:50am

No Session?

Harry - 06/01/13 - 7:39am

MaLóL…Im interested to hear what your choice in bicycle would be since all you’ve done up til this point is posted negative drivel.

I own a Trek MTB and a Cervelo road bike. Im in the market for a new road bike (definately wont be another Cervelo). So far a Madone is high on the short-list…because atleast with Trek I have options to have a bike thats not black / red / white.

Andrew - 06/01/13 - 7:26pm

Honestly, what kind of fool thinks that additional choice when buying a new bike is a bad thing? Getting a bike that mirrors your personality, through color, drivetrain, build, and price is amazing. I thought the color and decal choice Santa Cruz had was cool, but P1 is infinitely more customizable. I do kind of think they should be offered as frame only if you want it, they’d more likely have my business that way. To all you Trek haters get out of the sandpit and stop being so negative, all bikes are good bikes some are just a little better than others.

A. - 06/01/13 - 8:40pm

If you can’t design a better bike then offer a better paint job. The lipstick on a pig comment is dead on.

I wonder what other brands can build out at a similar price and spec? Niner? Santa Cruz? Intense? Who wants to try to compare?

dale - 06/03/13 - 5:04am

It’s weird to me all the Trek hate. I think these things have got to be well refined. I have had a ton of mtbs too, but I always tend to go back to the big brands, they can afford to work the bugs out before production. Last botique mtb frame I had was a banshee, switched to a SC blur XCC and it’s a world of difference in quality and performance. I think on my radar the most these days are Scotts, Spec, Trek and Niner for some reason.

Just go get miles boys!

Seriously - 06/03/13 - 8:35am

Only one Lance comment so far?

Jimmy Jackknife - 06/13/13 - 2:36am

How can a big brand offering a customizable bike be a bad thing? Price aside, the Superfly that I own (thanks Mr Fisher) rides awesome. Too many trolls on here thinking they are cooler than the rest of us with stupid comments.

Rick - 10/09/13 - 3:41pm

Klein did well for a while, but it was always a labor of love for Gary. Unfortunately some of the people there were less than scrupulous (welcome to the bike biz) and had been pocketing the hazardous waste disposal $ and dumping the chemicals in the river. Klein soon found itself facing huge fines and fees that they couldn’t afford. Gary didn’t have much of a choice. Trek bought it for a song, made a bunch of mutant frames using some leftover Klein parts and Gary fisher parts, killed the high end models, abandoned everything about them that made them unique and desirable, and devalued it straight into the ground till it was dead.

This attitude that “Gary sold his company, therefore that makes everything okay” says more about you than it does about Klein or Trek. Trek has killed every brand it’s bought through a consistent string of indreasingly poor management decisions.

Trek does have the best composite frame mfg technology in the biz. …because they have spent more money than the rest of the business combined on composites for longer than most of their competition has been around. I just wish their designs weren’t so utterly conservative/bland/corporate/uninspired.