Carbon Fiber Turner Czar 29er Full Suspension Race Bike Gets Official

Turner Czar 29er carbon fiber full suspension mountain bike

If you’re gonna go carbon, you might as well do it where it makes the most sense. And to us, the new Turner Czar looks like a damn fine use of composites.

The frame uses specific layup design, resin selection and fiber moduli to impart the feel they wanted. They say it’s stiff but not at the expense of character. All that was built around a DW-Link rear suspension, which we’ve found to be a very efficient and plush design in or out of the saddle.

Hammer past the break for all the details…

Turner Czar 29er carbon fiber full suspension mountain bike

The Czar has a head angle just barely on the slack side for an XC bike at 69.8º, which shouldn’t be enough to slow down the handling in the tight and twisties but add a bit of confidence on the descents. The 17.4″ (441mm) chainstays are skew on the short side, which means the wheelbase creates a tight footprint. So far, all good things for a modern XC race bike…especially since full suspension XC race bikes these days are called up for anything from marathon racing to aggressive trail riding on occasion.

Turner Czar 29er carbon fiber full suspension mountain bike

The DW-Link design provides 100mm of rear wheel travel. Linkages are machined alloy and pivot on IGUS Journal composite bearings. The forward shock and pivot placements help keep the rear wheel tucked in.

Turner Czar 29er carbon fiber full suspension mountain bike

Zerk grease fittings make lubrication and maintenance quick and easy. Rocker and lower linkage are both one-piece units, which should help keeps things tight, stiff and less creaky.

Turner Czar 29er carbon fiber full suspension mountain bike

They’re calling the frame material C6 Turner Carbon, which is a mix of Toray High Modulus fibers. Bolt on cable guides keep the full length housing/hoses inline. Guides for a dropper post or shock remote are under the top tube.

Turner Czar 29er carbon fiber full suspension mountain bike

The headtube is shapely. And massive, if rather short.

Turner Czar 29er carbon fiber full suspension mountain bike

Other tech specs include post mount brakes, PF30 bottom bracket, 142×12 rear axle and two water bottle mounts.

Turner Czar carbon fiber 29er mountain bike geometry

Comments

AZBikeFreak - 04/17/13 - 8:15pm

Weight and price please?

2Turners - 04/17/13 - 8:25pm

I’ve been anxiously waiting for this bike to break cover. Can’t wait to throw my leg over one at Sea Otter.

AZBikeFreak: Frame weight is listed with the geometry above. I’m guessing price will be on par with Tallboy Carbon/Jet 9/Mach 429c.

neato - 04/17/13 - 8:35pm

cool bike. hope turner well! though i am bummed to see domestic alloy go the way of the dino. may have to get a new intense DH bike next year to keep the dream alive ;)

MMyers - 04/17/13 - 8:41pm

I see no indication that all of the other models in the Turner lineup won’t continue to be both aluminum and US produced.

Get a DHR!

Quickie - 04/17/13 - 10:23pm

Please quit covering this bike. I’ve seen it online three times now and have had to change my pants three times.

Ryan - 04/17/13 - 10:57pm

Made in the USA???

Hmmm - 04/17/13 - 11:02pm

So glad the Burner is not carbon…I like having 2 testicles.

ascar larkinyar - 04/17/13 - 11:47pm

geometry fail!!!!!!!

too long chainstays with too slack of a head angle will make this bike slow to steer and the rear tire will slip while hard efforts climbing. bad bad bad. worst of both worlds

Miles - 04/18/13 - 12:07am

So glad the Czar is carbon…I like winning races. :)

I think aluminum has its place too though, and hope Turner continues to offer US made options. There’s something about a US made aluminum Turner that feels special, all the more so these days.

Bog - 04/18/13 - 12:20am

Wow, I’m massively impressed to see Turner catering to such tall riders, like myself, with a carbon frame. These molds are very expensive so that shows some major commitment to us tall guys. Thanks!

MSH - 04/18/13 - 12:24am

@ascar larkinyar – “too long chainstays”?? Other than the Devinci Atlas I can’t think of another 29er FS carbon bike that has chainstays shorter than the Czar’s 17.4″ stays….
TallboyC – 17.5″
Jet9 RDO – 17.9″
Ripley – 17.5″
Scalpel – 17.5″
Epic – 17.63″
Orbea Occam – 17.5″
Rocky Element – 17.5″

I disagree on the geometry fail comment. Yes, the HT angle is slightly more slack than the aforementioned bikes but not overly so. Having owned many Turners over the years I have no doubt that this bike will rip like all the rest

Mark - 04/18/13 - 1:05am

So much want. Not getting a 429C anymore!

MissedThePoint - 04/18/13 - 1:33am

BB drop (or height, with what tires)?

Stack?

Reach?

Waldo - 04/18/13 - 2:28am

Along with all the other details everyone wants, I wonder if you could run a 110 or 120mm fork on it to make it even more of an all-around trail bike. Seems like that’s what everyone’s done with their Tallboys, and with great success.

härbert - 04/18/13 - 5:05am

nice rig, neat details!

@MSH
just to mention: Specialized Enduro 29 has 16,93″ (430mm) Chainstays
with a lot more Travel… so i bet there is or will be more to come

But the behavior of a bike is much more than its lonley numbers…
Turner is one of the persons beeing in the bike buisness before it was one
So if he calls for a mould… it wil be dialed!

Singletrackroadie - 04/18/13 - 6:00am

Great looking bike and would love to see how a direct review versus the SC Tallboy C stack up.

Richard - 04/18/13 - 8:53am

The problem with the Specialized…. sure you can have shorter chain stays but at the expense of a mediocre suspension design.

Chain stay length is grossly over rated. My old Giant with 18.2 cs length rode better than a few of the 17.5″ bikes listed above.

Demo and choose which one you like best. Don’t get hung up on chainstay length! A better suspension design trumps chainstay length!

Dan - 04/18/13 - 10:43am

Long chainstays definitely make your rear wheel slip when climbing:

Eric - 04/18/13 - 12:00pm

Those are to keep the motorcycle from flipping over backwards! 17″ c.stays and 29er BB drop are enough to keep the bike from flipping over backwards on steep ups. The TBLTc rips with a little longer stays, but I prefer short as possible on a 29er.

K11 - 04/18/13 - 12:18pm

everyone number crunching, stop and take a deep breath. obviously this is not a hard tail so the suspension design (all the details involved with it) changes the numbers. turner has been at this a long time so just because it doesn’t match what the huge bike companies are doing, does not make it wrong. really.

Jake - 04/18/13 - 3:05pm

With that geo, it looks like this bike will eat technical East Coast races for breakfast! I can’t wait to get one! And by that, I mean find out the price and sadly walk away… I’d imagine something on the upper end of $2500 since all their metal frames are around $2000

Carlos - 04/18/13 - 4:32pm

Short chainstays and dw-Link? what else could we ask for?

Izzy - 04/18/13 - 5:28pm

Awesome

Mindless - 04/19/13 - 1:24am

$$$$$$$

Diesel - 04/19/13 - 11:57pm

Nice to see the XX size. Thanks from the tall contingent!

Espen - 04/20/13 - 4:34am

I’m sold!

Amazing frame!

The best looking (and most likely best performing) modern bike I have ever seen.

Only thing might be rear tire clearance?

This bike can be a killer allrounder.

e

chasejj - 04/22/13 - 1:12am

As I would expect DT hits it out of the park.

Next up should be a CF Burner I would expect.

I don’t see myself getting this but but my 13yo racer son will likely be on one soon.

gator - 04/22/13 - 9:39pm

I’ll take the Ibis Ripley Thanks!!! They know how to make a carbon frame!!

Woof - 04/23/13 - 1:22pm

@Carlos

… we could ask for a Fox 34″ 29′er fork that has travel from 100mm to 120mm.

Solo - 04/24/13 - 1:41am

This is my very first love-at-first-sight-moment with a Turner. Wow!

Strongwill - 04/24/13 - 4:17pm

This bike looks SO good. In comparison, I could never get the styling of the Jet RDO Carbon..it just looks like a queer’s bike to me.

I am interested in this frame paired with a carbon Lefty fork at 510mm A-C (Lefty Max 130 converted to 29er). Should be a PERFECT fit! This I am sure will be my next purchase…well done DT!!!

Dan C - 04/25/13 - 2:17am

‘It’s their first carbon fiber mountain bike, and they put it into a 100mm full suspension XC race bike because “We’re going to place the carbon bikes in our line where we feel they’re most advantageous to the type of rider they’re aimed at,” says Turner Bicycles’ founder David Turner. “We’re going to look at those people who are hyper conscious about saving every gram they can.”’

How refreshing a viewpoint is that? Kudos.

MissedThePoint - 04/25/13 - 8:20am

The weight puts it into a trail bike category. Giant’s Anthem X 29 alloy weighs about that much and you can see an entire bike with great support at a similar cost of one of these frames. I just don’t get it. Lots of options out there… is this just one for the Homers/Turner fans or the guys that want whatever’s got a lot of recent buzz?

Stongwill - 05/12/13 - 9:24am

The weight puts it into trail bike category?? the complete high end build with carbon wheels comes in around in the high 22 or low 23 pound range. That is inline with the Sworks Epic 29. I think the great support comment is from someone who hasn’t dealt with Dave before. If you call up Turner, you can talk to Dave directly and their support is fantastic.