Kona’s 650b Explosif Steel Hardtail Now Available

Kona's 650b Explosif Steel Hardtail Now Available

We missed it when it first started appearing around the internet at the very end of last year, but it looks like the 650b Kona Explosif started shipping back in February. Even a bit late, it’s worth a post as Kona’s first offering of a 650b hardtail, and one in beautiful raw double butted Cromoly steel to boot. Seeing as how my first real bike was essentially an Explosif (a ’97 Lava Dome built with a parts kit similar to the Explosif by the guys at West Chester Cyclery), it’s cool to see basically the modern incarnation of my first bike – that is still going strong.

In addition to the modern wheel size, the Explosif features quite a few other modern touches like ISCG tabs, slider dropouts with 135 or 142×12 compatibility, a 44mm head tube, and dropper post compatibility. With a slack 68-degree headtube, low bottom bracket and short 420mm chainstays in combination with the bigger wheels – the Explosif looks like an awesome hard tail.

Check out a sweet video of the Explosif after the break.

Comments

Brian - 04/04/13 - 9:51am

Out of curiosity, how is this (besides the wheel size) different from the Honzo? Why not a 27.5 Honzo?

MulletRacer - 04/04/13 - 9:58am

Looks very fun! I love that more longer travel HTs are hitting the market. I have wanted one for years.

Now the question, 26, 29, or 650??? :-P

Josh - 04/04/13 - 10:01am

The main differences are front derailleur capability on the Explosif and a slightly slackened seat tube angle in comparison. They are similar enough they could have called it a Honzo 27.5, they certainly fill the same niche.

Ajax - 04/04/13 - 10:32am

Finally! 650b hardtail with 142 thru axle dropouts! Thank you Kona! My next bike! :)

Johnny Doe - 04/04/13 - 11:17am

What I’m most impressed with is that companies that had previously (and in print) poo poo’ed the idea of making 650b bikes getting on board, and doing it well. Even better than the early adopters.

Tech nut - 04/04/13 - 12:08pm

Brian: The tubing is lighter than used on the Honzo. It has a different ride to the Honzo and it’s less heavy. I nervously test rode the Honzo after buying my 2013 Explosif. I was worried I’d love the Honzo and regret getting the Explosif… The Honzo felt more of a descent tool, but by-crikey the weight difference was obvious. Due to 80% of my riding being trail centres, I’m so glad I got the Explosif. There’s no doubt 650b has it’s advantages.

80 - 04/05/13 - 2:50pm

Hey Rocky Mountain; this is what the Blizzard needs to come back as!

Let’s get on that.

#backseatproductmanager

Julian tyo - 04/13/13 - 6:52pm

Bummer the first run is sold out!

Sounds like there will be an early release of the 2014.