Just In: Skratch Labs’ Exercise Hydration Mix

Given the strong reader response to founder Alan Lim’s “egg test,” we figured that it would be a good idea to give Skratch Labs’ Exercise Drink Mix a go.  While Lim’s video was an depiction of the dehydrating potential of too much hydration mix rather than a controlled experiment, it illustrates to Skratch’s (and others’) point that lighter drink mixes may be more effective than calorie- and electrolyte-dense alternatives.

Regardless of the details in their marketing vidoe, the proof of the drink mix is in the riding- and that’s what we intend to do.  Considerably less sweet than many competitors, Skratch Labs’ Exercise Drink Mix doesn’t provide those drinks’ sugary hit- but doesn’t generate the uncomfortable (and gross) phlegm that those drinks can either.  The (real!) fruit-flavored drinks’  ingredients lists are also refreshingly pronounceable- not necessarily a performance metric, but nice nonetheless. With some big desert rides on the horizon, we’re looking forward to giving it a go…

marc

www.skratchlabs.com

Comments

Mindless - 03/30/13 - 10:48am

“Strong response”? As in calling out the quack science?

Robo - 03/30/13 - 10:52am

[deleted for language]

Mindless - 03/30/13 - 10:58am

Why? For the magic?

It is just a frigging drink. Knock yourself out on your desk, if you want.

harro chan - 03/30/13 - 2:05pm

I love skratch, just bought a shitload. Come at me bros.

doozy - 03/30/13 - 2:21pm

gatorade works for me

notanMTBrider - 03/30/13 - 5:40pm

I like the Skratch Lab mixes — the taste is good, not overpowering. And the pineapple and lemon/lime mixes are basically transparent. No fluorescent colorings! Since I can tolerate it, I drink more during my rides.

Ck - 03/30/13 - 6:15pm

Gotta agree with notanMTBrider, some of the mixes out right now are too heavy with the flavoring and citric acid. I tried Skratch recently and loved it because it’s got good flavor and isn’t overly sweet or tart. I’ll likely switch over to it once my current stock of mix runs low.

Eyal - 03/30/13 - 6:52pm

I personally think it is better to drink real juice, nuts, raisins, dried mango, dried papaye, prunes, etc..

N8 - 03/30/13 - 8:01pm

What’s a marketing vidoe?

iride - 03/30/13 - 9:17pm

I think some of the negative comments may be coming from people who don’t do endurance type riding, and not trying to be critical. Six hour type rides are when you get the benefit from Skratch Labs. I’ve tried watering down Gatorade/PowerAde to a 50/50 mix but their is still sugar that causes upset stomachs and difficulty processing the liquid.

leonardo - 03/30/13 - 11:13pm

i use skratch labs on rides, training at the gym and while running, i have found them much better than gatorade!

g - 03/30/13 - 11:57pm

[insults and personal attacks deleted]

Marc - 03/31/13 - 8:32am

N8,

I believe that it’s a form of typo.

Bear Grylls - 03/31/13 - 8:55am

i Just prefer urine.

ascar larkinyar - 03/31/13 - 11:55am

skratch did not work for me. too weak. i do endurence racing and need my fuel to recharge my body. this product fell short every time. i ran out of energy earlier, cramped and did not recover for three days.
tried this product for two weeks at every mix, 1/2, 1/1, 2/1, 3/1…etc

going back to hammer products they never let me down, cheap to buy and available everywhere. i even like the taste, which is important when your on the bike from 7-24 hours.

Psi Squared - 03/31/13 - 7:07pm

It should be noted that this is a hydration mix (it’s in the title of the article and the name of the product, after all) and not an energy mix.

gilang4 - 05/22/13 - 7:53pm

I goes for 73 miles training, almost 4000ft climb this last weekend and actually pushed hard the whole route. I used Skratch and added 2 scoops of maltodextrin in my bottle, ride the whole route without any problem. The drink is light, fresh and tasty. Like to drink it through out the ride. Feel fine next day.