The folks at Boo Bicycles showed us the Aluboo in detail at NAHBS with promises of a Kickstarter campaign launching just after the show. They’ve held true to their word, and the fundraiser’s off to a good start!
In a nutshell, the Aluboo is an alloy and bamboo framed bicycle that’s versatile in its uses. It can be made to run thick tires or thin, disc brakes or rim calipers, flat handlebars or drops, chains or belts, gears or not. The point in developing this bike was to make something with the ride characteristics of bamboo without the huge price tag of a full custom ‘boo and carbon fiber bike.
Head on over to their Kickstarter page and pick up a frameset for a pledge of $645 or a complete bike for as little as $945. For $3,995, you can travel to Vietnam and tour their bamboo farm and manufacturing facility, ride around with the builder and more! Click past the break for the full list of options…
- 120mm spacing (track, single-speed, or fixed-gear setup)
- 130mm spacing (road/urban/cyclocross setup)
- 135mm spacing (internally-geared hub setup)
- Derailleur hanger, or no hanger
- Rear disc brake mount, cantilever studs, or standard road caliper
- Breakable, so you can ditch the chain for a belt drive–no lubrication and no mess!
- Clearance for up to 40mm cyclocross/touring tires
- Fender mounts front and rear
- Rack mounts–carry a huge load with pannier bags
- Removable cable guides for front and rear derailleurs and rear brake
- Road, cantilever, and disc brake mounts
- Full belt drive compatibility, up to a 50t front Gates CenterTrack ring