Cysco Cycles Adds 650B Options, Tests on Spouses

Cysco Cycles 650B titanium hardtail mountain bike

Cysco Cycles builds full custom titanium bikes just outside of Chattanooga, TN. Every frame gets tubing selected for the rider and the type of bike, so there’s nothing stock about them. In the past, they worked with steel and used a twisted square tube, mainly to catch eyeballs. Now, they’re strictly working with titanium and are using more traditional tube shapes. Sort of.

This one’s for employee Chris’ wife, who’s 5’3″, and is the first ti bike they’ve done with 650B wheels. She wanted better roll over but wasn’t comfortable on 29ers. So, geometry and sizing was all custom dialed to her body and riding style…

Cysco Cycles 650B titanium hardtail mountain bike

The top tube on this bike gets a diamond-shaped top tube that starts out round, then they flatten it on two sides to create the edges. It stiffens it up laterally without having to go to thicker walled or larger diameter tubes, and it looks cool.

Cysco Cycles 650B titanium hardtail mountain bike

The bend in the seatstays adds just a bit of compliance and helps improve tire clearance. It has a newer Paragon Machine Works PFBB30 shell, filled with XX1.

Cysco Cycles 650B titanium hardtail mountain bike

This bike’s decked out with several new goodies, including the Rockshox SID XX 27.5″ fork. Word is it also has some new superlight rims coming from Industry Nine, built here with their new Torch hubs.

Cysco Cycles 650B titanium hardtail mountain bike

Keepin’ it local with housemade stem and Cane Creek headset. It’s finished off with ENVE bar and post and Pacenti tires.

Comments

dicky - 03/18/13 - 3:59pm

Those aren’t just 650b Trail 24′s with the decals removed?

tkeaton - 03/18/13 - 4:05pm

Chattanooga

Michael - 03/18/13 - 4:21pm

Saw this bike yesterday, it’s some kind of Awesome.

Gillis - 03/18/13 - 7:58pm

My knees slightly fear that top-tube. But otherwise a nice looking rig.

Luiggi - 03/19/13 - 8:06am

I said this when the so-called 29er revolution stroke us and I’ll say it again: I’m getting all fed up with the “it’s the next best thing since sliced bread!”.

Let’s say it out loud: this change has not been driven from the masses, so it can’t be called a “revolution”. It’s an industry driven change, for the simple reason they need the buyers to renew their bikes every once in a while. Even more, the renewal cycle is getting shorter and shorter. Programmed obsolescense anyone?

I’ll keep true to my 26er, not by mere irreverence, but simply because it’s the bike which suits my riding style better. I don’t want to end driving a dump truck in my singletracks. I need a bike which is nimble and nervous, and also easy to spin off the bends and switchbacks. I had a chance to test ride a 29er and a 650b on my local trails, and both felt like I had suddenly gained 50 years. After all, one of the biggest selling arguments for these bigger-wheeled steeds is how easily they pass over roots and small stuff. Well, guess what: it sounds like they are trying to sell MTBs to third-age riders. Thanks, but I’d rather work my way through the rooty sections with my arms and knees.

Quickie - 03/19/13 - 9:02am

Good place for your 650b rant. I’m going out on a limb here, but I don’t think Cysco is the driving force behind 650b. My guess is that they, like every other small business, are trying to find their place in the industry and make some money to stay afloat. Furthermore, nobody cares what you ride or why you ride it. 26″ purists have given us the same sad song a million times for not switching and the rest of the world still doesn’t care.

Gregorio - 03/19/13 - 12:07pm

Great looking bike! I am curious about the flattened top tube and if it does in fact get in the way of knees. It would seem that if your knees hit this top tube they would probably hit other top tubes as well. As I think about it; it seems there are plenty of carbon fiber bikes with pretty wide, flat top tubes so should work well with ti. Cysco certainly makes some very nice mountain bikes. What is the weight of that current set up?

Walt - 03/19/13 - 12:10pm

Luiggi, 1986 called, they want you to get rid of your suspension, tubeless tires, and disc brakes, because those things make all the roots too easy to ride over…

Chris - 03/19/13 - 1:37pm

Thanks for the comments everyone.

@Gregorio – On a small frame like this the top tube isn’t particularly big so even with the shaping it isn’t any wider than the downtube and there were no complaints about knees hitting the top tube on the inaugural rides this weekend. The bike, as pictured, came in at 19lb 12oz.